Monday, April 1, 2013

Return To Shirley Plantation, by Carrie Fancett Pagels, Ph.D. & Gift Basket GIVEAWAY!
(Murray Pura's American Civil War Series - Cry of Freedom, Volume 1)


5.0 out of 5 stars Truth Unfolds!


Special Gift Basket GIVEAWAY!

In celebration of the premier release of "Return to Shirley Plantation" by Carrie Fancett Pagels (Volume 1, Murray Pura's American Civil War Series, Cry of Freedom) the author is offering a lovely gift basket to the winner of this contest. This lovely gift basket will include lipstick, nail polish, chocolates, recipe cards and more!!! To enter please leave a comment with your email address in order for us to contact the winner. Good luck!!!




Book Description
150 years ago the history of America changed forever. Live 1863 through the stories of some of our finest writers – the passion, the romance, the tragedy, and the triumph.
Carrie Fancett Pagels. Kathleen Maher. Joy Ross Davis. Sarah Price. Karen Anna Vogel. Patrick E. Craig. Willard Carpenter. Big Daddy Abel. Murray Pura. David Stearman. And many more.

The plantations. The Underground Railroad. Chancellorsville. Vicksburg. Gettysburg. Little Round Top. Chickamauga. Chattanooga. Missionary Ridge. The soldiers in the field. The families at home. The nurses in the hospitals. The speeches at Richmond and Washington. The prayers in churches North and South. It’s all here in one of the most dramatic series ever produced. A new story by a different author released every two weeks between April and November. Join us for one of the most exciting events in American inspirational publishing – Helping Hands Press presents CRY OF FREEDOM!
Abducted against his will, Matthew Scott is conscripted into the Confederate army because of his Copperhead father’s political leanings. Injured at Malvern Hill, Matthew is taken by the Union army to Shirley Plantation in Virginia where he is tended by seamstress Angelina Rose, a freed slave. Given an opportunity to leave the South and start a new life for herself, Angelina remained for the sake of her sister’s orphaned twins who are still enslaved. Will Matthew’s return to Shirley Plantation settle a mystery concerning his father’s past? And help Matthew find the family he longs for.





Author Bio – Carrie Fancett Pagels, Ph.D.

Carrie Fancett Pagels (www.carriefancettpagels.com) writes “romantic historical fiction.” Represented by Joyce Hart, “Return to Shirley Plantation: A Civil War Romance” is Carrie’s first fiction release. Carrie contributed to “God’s Provision in Tough Times” releasing May, 2013. Previously a psychologist, Carrie lives in Virginia with her family.
Carrie blogs at “Colonial Quills” and “Overcoming With God.” She has served in ACFW leadership positions as Zone Director, Area Coordinator, and continues as co-chairman of a local group. Member ACFW, Romance Writers of America, Faith-Hope-Love RWA affiliate group  and FaithWriters. Columnist/Board Member of The Book Club Network ezine.

Loves God,  history, and romance!


Carrie’s Social Media

My Review ~

It was 1862 and the country was in the throes of the Civil War. Matthew Scott managed a theater troupe in Ohio; however, due to his father's political stance he was abducted and thrust into the Confederate Army. Matthew suffered injuries on the battlefield rendering him unconscious. Upon awakening briefly, a Confederate lieutenant asked him to deliver a letter to Mrs. Mary Braxton Carter at Shirley Plantation in Virginia. Upon discovering the wounded soldier and cognizant of Matthew's true identity, Union troops brought him to Shirley Plantation and the letter was safely delivered. Due to the numerous injured soldiers needing medical attention the plantation grounds subsequently transitioned into a field hospital. 

A household servant to the Carter family, Angelina Rose had been born into slavery, one-eighth African, with fair skin, blue-gray eyes and wavy golden hair. She was freed from slavery the previous year, but felt God's calling to remain at Shirley Plantation to care for her deceased sister's children. Angelina also worked as a seamstress, saving her money to buy freedom for her niece and nephew. An almost immediate attraction formed between Matthew and Angelina, and time spent together only increased those feelings. With differing backgrounds and secrets untold their future together was questionable at best.

A new name to romantic historical fiction, Carrie Fancett Pagels has produced an impressive tale of the ravages of the Civil War with a blossoming romance in this poignant novella! Her knowledge of the historic details of Shirley Plantation and Civil War events are well documented and commendable. Characters are very well defined and realistic. I found this story not only enjoyable, but educational. "Return to Shirley Plantation" is a remarkable introduction to "Murray Pura's American Civil War Series - Cry of Freedom." Kudos to this talented author!


65 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for reading Return to Shirley Plantation, Nancy! It is interesting how each reader gets a little something different out of a story. So fun! I appreciate you having me on your blog today, NANCEE!! Blessings!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my pleasure, Carrie! I loved reading Return to Shirley Plantation. Civil War Fiction is one of my favorite genres, and your premier book was a joy to read and review!

      Delete
  2. Great post. I'm really looking forward to reading this! Blessings, Susan Fryman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey SUSAN, thanks for coming by!! Hugs! I hope you get to read it very soon and post a great review!!!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Susan! I certainly appreciate your support of my blog, and hope that you have the opportunity to read Carrie's book. You'll love it!

      Delete
  3. Great review Nancee, I truly enjoyed this story. Yes, Kudos to Carrie! And Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Debbie! Am so glad you enjoyed it. I have got to get you the finished copy so you can savor that kiss, lol! Early happy birthday to you, too!!! Hugs!

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Chaplain Debbie! I appreciate you stopping in to read my review!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a wonderful book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JETTIE! Oh, I love your name!!!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for stopping by, Jettie! It is a wonderful book! You won't be disappointed!

      Delete
  5. Great review Nancee! I'm really looking forward to reading, Return to Shirley Plantation. Hi Carrie! Waving at you...can you see me? I have been praying that your writing career would take off and it looks like you are well on your way. All in God's time!

    Blessings to both of you Carrie and Nancee!

    Judy B
    judyjohn2004(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JUDY!!! I hope you will really enjoy it! Your prayers are so appreciated, JUDY! I dk what authors would do without special prayer warriors praying for them! Thanks!!! HUGS!!!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your continuing support of my blog, Judy! You're always so encouraging! You'll love Carrie's "Return to Shirley Plantation!" I can't wait to read your review!

      Delete
  6. Wow! lipstick and nail polish, I love baskets too!. lol! Love to read, enjoy books, fun way to travel. Love reading about history, Thanks, ychristensen.52@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, thank you for visiting my blog. I'm happy to see some newcomers here! Please come back and visit again soon!

      Delete
    2. YVONNE and they are PINK, glorious PINK haha!!! Hope you will enjoy my novella. If you don't win, it only costs $3, so splurge! Thanks for coming by!

      Delete
  7. great review! Can't wait to read this story.

    Thanks,
    Heather Louise Navarro
    winterrose (at) comcast (dot) net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Louise, I hope you will enjoy it! Seems so weird to see you here commenting on MY story, lol! Hugs!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Louise! It's so nice to have you visit my blog!

      Delete
  8. Kidnapped! What an intriguing story! ~*~ to arouse the curiosity or interest of by unusual, new, or otherwise fascinating or compelling qualities ~*~ definitely all of the above!

    Yippee!! Will excitedly await the Christmas print copy of these exciting stories. Happily pursuant to winning this wonderful gift basket before then, that is! Congratulations! Kathleen ~ Lane Hill House
    lanehillhouse[at]centurylink[dot]net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have to find a way for you to read before Christmas, KATHLEEN! Thanks for reading NANCEE's lovely review! Blessings!

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much for visiting and supporting my blog, Kathleen! It's wonderful to see some new names here!

      Delete
  9. A great review. Sounds like a wonderful book to curl up with and read
    Love gift basket Wonderful way to give someone a gift. Just add the book
    and you have a gift to give. I like that. Thank you

    Diane C.
    dian429@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, thank you for stopping by to visit my blog! I appreciate your comments!

      Delete
    2. DIANE, if you win you need to enjoy the gift YOURSELF, honey!!! That means God wanted YOU to have it! Blessings!

      Delete
  10. A wonderful review of a book that I'm sure will be just as wonderful, written by a wonderful woman! Hmm--did I use wonderful enough times? And it would be wonderful, if I was able to win this book! ;-)
    Vicki
    vmarney(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, "wonderful" is one of my favorite words! Thank you for visiting and commenting on my blog!

      Delete
  11. Wow what a great review. The work of Historical Fiction is wonderful and so full of Life!! I cannot wait to read!! I am ready to read.
    Thank you also for the chance to enter a wonderful giveaway - with CHocolate and Nail polish!! :) He He
    Blessings - Jenn
    jdovefamily@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn, thanks so much for stopping to visit my blog. I appreciate your comments!

      Delete
    2. Dove... Chocolate.... Must have some chocolate, lol! Hope you will read my novella soon! And if u win, I hope u enjoy the chocolate and the PINK nail polish!!!

      Delete
  12. Sounds like a very interesting read, written by someone who loves God. If I win, my email is marriottcole@hotmail.com. Sincerely in Jesus, Marriott Cole, author, Grace, Miracles, and Chocolate, http://amzn.com/1462401880

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Marriott! Thank you for commenting on my blog. Carrie is very talented, and a wonderful sister in Christ!

      Delete
    2. Love the name of your book, MARRIOTT! Thanks for coming by and yes, I do love Jesus!!!

      Delete
  13. I ordered this book! If I win, my e-mail is: lvsue@aol.com

    Thanks!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and commenting, Sue!

      Delete
    2. SUE!!!!! Bless you!!! I hope you will enjoy it!!! And we will enter you for the giveaway!!!

      Delete
  14. The book sounds Fabulous! Thank you so much for having the contest.

    Tina H.
    sweeps4us at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won't be disappointed in this great book! Thank you for your comments!

      Delete
    2. TINA, so far no one has been disappointed, PTL!!! Blessings!

      Delete
  15. Kathleen E.B. Harrison jkmharrison@shaw.ca Sounds Lovely. April 4 @ 1:21 A.M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you--I think so, lol! I miss hanging out with Matthew and Angelina and Julian and Charity. I hope you will buy the ebook novella if you don't win, Kathleen--only $3. Blessings!

      Delete
  16. I love historical romance..............This book sounds awesome! I love discovering authors I haven't read!


    dowelljanet@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent, JANET, because this is my debut fiction and it is historical romance!!! Blessings!

      Delete
  17. Carrie - somethinh told me today to tell you - "Thank you for putting yourself out there, it is not easy. God's requests of us are sometimes very hard. Bless you"

    May this Book Soar!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I really needed to hear that tonight, so thanks for sharing that!!! And may your blessing result in more and more sales and more blessings to readers!!! Hugs!

      Delete
    2. I live in Virginia I am very interested in this book. Thanks, Rhonda
      nashhall@aol.com

      Delete
  18. This is a book that very much interests me. I love history especially civil war period as it ties in to so many things in today's world. Can't wait to read it. Thank you Carrie and Nancee

    Cathy Weber
    Cdweber20@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting, Cathy. This is a wonderful book by a new author! I also love Civil War fiction and nonfiction. Carrie gives you a nice look at life on Shirley Plantation.

      Delete
    2. CATHY, I hope you will get to read this book and that you will love it. A very easy read--a novella. Thanks and Blessings!

      Delete
  19. Sounds like a wonderful read. Stories about the Civil War always choke me up when I consider all the people who died. Then I saw part of a reenactment at Kennesaw Mt., Georgia which included horses and they told about how many horses died. War is sad on so many levels. I would like to read a Christian fiction story about it. Thank you for writing this one.

    Blessings,
    Janice jsmithg(at)hotmail(dot)com PS I have not worn nail polish since about 30 years ago on my wedding day! Maybe I would if I won some!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janice, I agree with you when we stop to think about the insurmountable losses and the ravages of war. Carrie writes a beautiful story of love in the midst of war. You'll love her book! Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment!

      Delete
    2. Wow, JANICE, I FORGOT that we went to a reenactment thing in Georgia, too. And it may have been at Kennesaw MT--a long time ago. I hope you will get the story which is NOT a sad one. It is a romance and I don't dwell on the sad or the icky. LOL about the nail polish--time to get some!!! Blessings!

      Delete
  20. I am always looking for new authors to read. Your book sounds really interesting. I like reading books set during the Civil War
    JWIsley(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joye, thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. You'll love Carrie's book!

      Delete
    2. JOYE, well I am a debut author so u can't get any newer haha! I pray you will get it and love it!! If you do, let me know! Blessings!

      Delete
  21. Hi Carrie - I'd love to win your book. Historical fiction is one of my favorite genres. susanjreinhardt AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, thank you for commenting. Carrie did an outstanding job with her first published novella!

      Delete
    2. SUSAN, As a HHP author I think there is a way to get you a copy! Blessings!

      Delete
  22. I cant wait to read about my plantation lol, my grandmother was raised on a plantation in Tenn, but i never saw it, i would love to win this book and the goodies
    jcisforme@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shirley, I think you'd enjoy this book very much! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
    2. SHIRLEY, I keep seeing you all over the place, I pray you will get the book and love it and be moved by Angelina's and Matthew's story!

      Delete
  23. I haven't read this book yet, but it sounds like one that I would really enjoy reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Juanita, I know you'd enjoy this book. Carrie has a wonderful start to her writing career!

      Delete
    2. JUANITA, I hope you will buy the book, now #3 on Amazon Hot new Civil War releases! PTL for His mercies!

      Delete