Interview with Amy Lillard ~
Can you tell us a little about yourself and your background?
I am a wife, a mother,
and a bonafide Southern Belle. I grew up in Mississippi, but moved to Oklahoma
just after high school. Two short years later, I met and married my husband.
We’ve been together ever since. We have an awesome son, two ‘sweet’ cats, and a
lazy beagle.
How did you become
interested in writing?
I had to write a
descriptive paragraph in the 7th grade.
The teacher praised my use of alliteration, and I was hooked! Of course, at the
time I had no idea what alliteration was and had to look it up, but I was
tickled all the same. I knew that I had found the one thing in life I wanted to
do most.
What compelled you to
write Saving Gideon?
I started Saving
Gideon at the suggestion of my agent. Am I glad I listened! Saving Gideon is a composite of many of my
favorite types of stories. I love a tortured hero and the idea that love can
heal all. Take that concept and mix in the ‘fish out of water’ story of a
Dallas socialite, add the sheer charm of the Amish way of life, and that’s
Saving Gideon.
How did Katie’s Choice come about?
Katie’s Choice had
originally been planned as the third book in the series. But when I starting
digging into the stories I knew that hers needed to be told first. (No, I can’t
really explain why without giving away too much about Gabriel’s Bride). But keep in mind that I’m a romance writer
first and foremost. When looking at finding a beau for Katie, I knew I needed
the “love triangle”. And what better way than for her to have the love of two
very different men: Zane Carson, worldly
reporter used to living life on the edge, and Samuel Beachy, the
bishop’s son returning after a very extended rumspringa in order to finally take his place at Katie’s side.
What is the main theme
or point that you want readers to understand from reading your books?
Love heals all wounds.
But isn’t that the theme to most all romances? Okay, so love heals all wounds,
and God will be there to show you the way to love. Even when you think you
don’t need it (or deserve it) at all.
Now for the fun
questions - quirky facts about Amy Lillard:
Birthday?
September 20
Favorite color?
Purple…no wait, green. No, pink. Purple, definitely purple. What was the
question again?
Favorite animal?
giraffes
Siblings? 3
sisters and brother
Favorite drink? Diet
Dr. Pepper
If you were a jelly bean flavor, what
flavor would you be? My favorite is Buttered Popcorn, but I would be raspberry
creme
Favorite dish?
Anything Mexican
Ice Cream flavor?
Anything but strawberry
Favorite Season? Summer
Dream Vacation?
Anywhere with a beach
Favorite Place to Write?
Wherever I happen to be
Cat or Dog? Both!
Favorite Candy Bar? Heath Bar
Favorite guilty pleasure?
Brownies and ice cream
What books are currently on your nightstand?
Falling to Pieces by Vannetta Chapman and True Grit by Charles Portis
Favorite vacation spot or place you’d like to visit but
haven’t yet?
I want to go to Lancaster
County one day and I’d love to visit the Amish in Holmes County. And there’s
always the Eiffel Tower. I’ve been obsessed with it my entire life. J
What’s next for you?
I just signed a three book Amish
romance series that takes place in Oklahoma, this time in a Beachy community.
I’m really excited to showcase this order of the Amish which is the classification
for the Amish that currently live in Oklahoma.
Where can we find you on the web?
Twitter: @AmyWritesRomnce
Facebook: Amy Lillard ~ Author
Blog: www.amywritesromance.com/blog/
Describe your writing in three words.
Hope, humor, and grace
What has been your highlight of your career to this point?
Seeing my name of the cover of a book
that I love is a thrill that is not easily topped.
What
has been your favorite fan letter or fan comment ever?
I had a reader put me in league with Beverly Lewis.
*That* was a great moment for me, but I am continually amazed at the depth of
devotion from the readers of Amish fiction. Everyone has been so gracious and
supportive. I love my readers!
Thank you, Amy, for taking the time to answer some questions about yourself. I've enjoyed working with you on your Street Team for "Katie's Choice," and I wish you all the best!



what a great interview !!! love the candid answers Amy, you made me smile !!! Saving Gideon ~ awesome, and now I can't wait to read Katie's Choice !!!!! thanks for the great interview Nancee !! I enjoyed it !!!!! :-)
ReplyDeleteRosemary rfoley@salemstate.edu
Thank you, Rosemary! I think that Amy has a great future writing Amish fiction!
DeleteWhat a lovely cover. Cute interview, Nancee and Amy!! Blessings!
ReplyDeleteCarrie, Amy has a wonderful sense of humor! It's been very special working with her on her Street Team!
DeleteI loved getting to know Amy a little bit better, this was a fun interview! I loved both books now if Amy can just learn to write faster. I hate waiting for her next book! I to agree she is just as good a writer as Beverly Lewis!
ReplyDeleteAmy is a very special lady! Her sense of humor is wonderful, and she's very talented! We'll have to keep after her to keep writing faster! LOL! Thanks for stopping by!
DeleteGreat interview with Amy! It was fun getting to know her more and what a sense of humor she has! Love it!
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to read Saving Gideon (this is my next up read) and hope to have Katie's Choice by the time I'm finished!
Blessings to both you and Amy!
Judy B
Thanks, Judy! You'll love Amy's books without a doubt!
DeleteHey there Nancee and Amy . Good review . Amy i just want to Congratulate you on both of your books.
ReplyDeleteI really did enjoy . Amy is very sweet and has a great sense of humor . I have enjoyed being with her in her Street Team And her Clover Ridge team. Thanks and Blessing to the both of you.
Liz
Thanks for visiting and commenting, Liz! Yes, it has been fun working together with Amy. She's very talented, and such a sweet lady!
Delete