Review & Giveaway!
Aloha Rose
Aloha Rose
Quilts of Love Series
by Lisa Carter
Description
When Laney Carrigan’s adoptive parents encourage her as an adult to seek out her birth family, her only clue is the Lokelani quilt in which she was found wrapped as an infant. Centering her search on the Big Island, she battles fears of rejection from a family that abandoned her once before while her faith struggles to embrace God's love.
Along the path to her true heritage, she meets Hawaiian cowboy/helicopter pilot, Kai Barnes. Kai is determined to protect the people he’s come to regard as family against a woman he suspects of being nothing more than a gold-digger, but he finds himself drawn to Laney in spite of his reservations. He's spent his entire life seeking forgiveness from past mistakes and longs for a second chance at happiness. Laney’s painstaking journey to find restoration and a place to belong among the breathtaking allure of the Big Island will lead her closer to her past and maybe even something more.
Along the path to her true heritage, she meets Hawaiian cowboy/helicopter pilot, Kai Barnes. Kai is determined to protect the people he’s come to regard as family against a woman he suspects of being nothing more than a gold-digger, but he finds himself drawn to Laney in spite of his reservations. He's spent his entire life seeking forgiveness from past mistakes and longs for a second chance at happiness. Laney’s painstaking journey to find restoration and a place to belong among the breathtaking allure of the Big Island will lead her closer to her past and maybe even something more.
Purchase this book at the following locations:
http://www.amazon.com $11.22
Biography
Lisa Carter was always the child who made up epic tales involving prairie schooners or interplanetary voyages for the neighborhood kids to re-enact during summer vacation. Now as a speaker, vocalist, teacher and writer, Lisa shares her own journey of faith regarding God's sufficiency for every need.
As a Southern romantic suspense writer--Sweet Tea with a Slice of Murder--she has definite opinions on serious issues like barbeque, ACC basketball and the whole Pepsi vs. Coke controversy. Carolina Reckoning, her debut novel, released August 2013.
She and her husband have two daughters and make their home in North Carolina. When she isn't writing, Lisa enjoys traveling to romantic locales such as the Big Island, Hawaii--the setting for her next novel, Aloha Rose, releasing November 2013. She also enjoys quilting and researching her next exotic adventure.
My Review ~
Photographs of a Hawaiian baby quilt posted on the Internet brought results in Laney Carrigan's search for her biological family. Laney had been left with her adoptive family on the mainland as an infant, wrapped in the traditional Hawaiian appliqued quilt. Once the connection was made with Laney's biological family she traveled to Maui to meet the family she had never known. With issues of abandonment Laney was hesitant about the meeting. Her Aunti Teah's foster son, Kai Barnes had suspicious concerns about Laney's interest in the family, and made his point clear. Kai's pernicious mindset stemmed from a tour in Afghanistan as a search and rescue specialist suffering from PTSD. Consequently Laney's introduction to her family of origin was a bumpy ride filled with stress and vexation. How would she ever fit in with this mix of family members with whom she has nothing in common aside from Hawaiian roots? Will she and Kai be able to spend time on the same property with any sense of respect or friendliness? With endless questions and concerns Laney decided to give herself a day at a time to see which direction this relationship with her "family" would go, with the return plane ticket kept close if she felt the need to retreat back to the states and her career as a free lance writer.
Aloha Rose is a multi-layered story with subplots paralleling the main plot. There is a lot of activity and a bit of chaos as the story begins, and I felt a bit like Laney, wondering if I had landed in the right place at the right time. Several characters are introduced into the story, Laney and her adoptive family, and on the island of Maui, her Hawaiian family. Descriptions of the beauty that is Hawaii were well done and educational. The diversity of the island was described in a way that I felt the atmosphere of the island without having been there. Lisa Carter's descriptive talents brought Maui to life. Numerous issues were broached through this book, such as abandonment, adoption, PTSD, Alzheimer's disease, dysfunctional family matters and issues of faith. The author imports numerous emotions throughout the book leading the reader from anguish to humor, hate to love, fear to faith. I enjoyed the story of the quilt, Hawaiian customs and terminology, the relationships that develop throughout, and surprises at the turn of a page. Not entirely believable, but who ever said that fiction has to be realistic? I found this to be an entertaining book!
Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy of this book from Wynn-Wynn Media in exchange for my honest review. All opinions expressed are my own, and no monetary compensation was received for this review.
CONTEST GIVEAWAY GUIDELINES:
Please leave me a feedback comment and your email address using [at] and [dot] to protect your email address from spammers. Share this review with your friends, and if you win this contest please leave a review at websites such as Deeper Shopping and Amazon once you have read the book. Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I appreciate all of your comments!
Optional: For additional chances to win this giveaway, share this contest through either Twitter or Facebook, and sign up to follow my blog. Please let me know what you did for extra chances to win. Drawing for this giveaway is


This sounds like a good book. Complex. I would love to win a copy.
ReplyDeletesusanmsj at msn dot com
Oh my goodness I have experienced abandonment, Alzheimer's disease, dysfunctional family matters and issues of faith. I definitely need to put this one on my wish list. Thanks Nancee for your review and giveaway.
ReplyDeleteBlessings!
Judy B
judyjohn2004(at)yahoo(dot)com
I already follow your blog.
ReplyDeleteBlessings!
Judy B
judyjohn2004(at)yahoo(dot)com
Judy, your name was drawn for a copy of Aloha Rose! Congratulations!
DeleteThank you so much Nancee! I thought this book would fit right in to my life experiences. I am looking forward to reading it! Blessings my friend!
DeleteYou're very welcome, Judy!
DeleteI shared on FB!
ReplyDeleteBlessings!
Judy B
judyjohn2004(at)yahoo(dot)com
I already have a copy of this book..but just wanted to say that I enjoyed your Review! =)
ReplyDeleteLoved your wonderful review, Nancee!! I definitely need to read this book, because I have a dysfunctional family and faith issues for my health and finances. I always enjoy reading your blog. Thank you for the chance to win this giveaway and please enter my name.
ReplyDeleteBarbara Thompson
barbmaci61(at)yahoo(dot)com
I'm already a follower of your blog. I shared this on Facebook and Twitter.
ReplyDeleteBarbara Thompson
barbmaci61(at)yahoo(dot)com
Great review & I love the cover!! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteThis review was really good Nancee. It sounds really good to me. I've been trying to win it. Maybe this time. I did share this on my FB. Thanks for the give-away. Maxie mac262(at)me(dot)com
ReplyDeleteLove the cover and concept of the book. I'm headed to Hawaii in eight days to run a marathon, and Aloha Rose sounds like the perfect read for my long plane rides. Thanks for the give-away!
ReplyDeleteI would love to win a copy. I love the Quilts of Love books! I love subplots!
ReplyDeleteThis is a book I absolutely want to read. I have read so many good things about it. Being a genealogist, I helped my mother-in-law look for her biological family in Hawaii and then further back into Japan. It was an amazing journey into the past when we found her family. Now she is no longer with us and this book would bring back some happy memories.
ReplyDeleteSonja.nishimoto(at)gmail(dot) com
DeleteThis book looks great for my church library, and your review is fantastic. Thanks for the opportunity to win! I did the following:
ReplyDelete1) Tweeted it
2) Shared it on Facebook
3) Followed your blog
4) Left a comment
librarybooks at religious dot com
DeleteRick, your name was drawn for a copy of Aloha Rose! Congratulations!
DeleteGreat review. This looks like a great book. Very intriguing. Thank you for hosting this giveaway.
ReplyDeleteBlessings
Katrina
eppersonkatrinaatyahoodotcom
Sounds like a great book
ReplyDeleteIsnt life about our Love of God,our roots and of course The bumps in the road?
God bless you
Chris Granville
granvilleATfrontiernetDOTnet
Hello,
ReplyDeleteThanks for the review. It sounds great.
1. Left a comment
2. Followed on GFC.
boernerb ( at) fuse (.) net
ohiohomeschool, your name was drawn for a cop of Aloha Rose! Congratulations!
DeleteHi Nancee! Thanks for the review and chance to win!
ReplyDelete1. I left a comment and
2. follow your blog through email
Brittany McEuen
kbmceuen(at)yahoo(dot)com
This sounds like a great book. Would love to win and read it. Thank you for the chance.
ReplyDeleteKaren G.
kmgervais(at)nycap(dot)rr(dot)com
I follow your blog.
ReplyDeleteKaren G.
kmgervais(at)nycap(dot)rr(dot)com
Karen, your name was drawn for a copy of Aloha Rose! Congratulations!
DeleteThank you Nancee. Looking forward to reading this book.
DeleteYou're welcome, Karen!
DeleteI tweeted.
ReplyDeleteKaren G.
kmgervais(at)nycap(dot)rr(dot)com
Bonnie Traher momtr3@yahoo.com
ReplyDeleteSounds like an interesting story~ love quilt stories. :) Karen R. kjrochon40@msn.com
ReplyDeleteSounds very interesting and unique. I haven't read a book with a plot like this one.
ReplyDeleteTonja S,
Tissakay at aol dot com
Sounds like an interesting contemporary read! Thanks for the chance to win a copy.
ReplyDeletePattymh2000(at)Yahoo(dot)com
I shared on FB!
ReplyDeletePattymh2000(at)Yahoo(dot)com
Sounds like a very interesting book. Thank you for the opportunity to win a copy.
ReplyDeletemsbookwormlady(at)aol(dot)com
Kay, your name was drawn for a copy of Aloha Rose! Congratulations!
DeleteI now follow you blog thru GFC and email.
ReplyDeletemsbookwormlady(at)aol(dot)com
Tweeted this giveaway.
ReplyDeletemsbookwormlady(at)aol(dot)com
Wonderful review, Nancee! We have been traveling and on vacation, which is why I am late commenting. I love the Quilts of Love series and this sounds like another great story!
ReplyDeleteI am a blog follower.
texaggs2000 at gmail dot com
Britney, your name was drawn for a copy of Aloha Rose! Congratulations!
DeleteGreat review! Tweeted and shared. :)
ReplyDeleteI would love to win this as my son and daughter are in the process of adopting 2 more children and have adopted my grandson!
ReplyDeleteThank you to each of you for taking the time to visit my blog and comment to win a copy of Aloha Rose. I drew names at random, and the winners have been notified. If someone does not claim their book within 1 week from today, 12-1-13, a new winner will be awarded. Thank you again, and please visit often! Congratulations to all of the winners!
ReplyDelete