A Promise in Pieces
by Emily T. Wierenga
(A Quilts of Love Story)
Outstanding!
Description
A baby quilt touches many hearts as it travels from family to family and through generations.
After the end of World War II, Clara Kirkpatrick returns from the Women’s Army Corp to deliver a dying soldier’s last wishes: convey his love to his young widow, Mattie, with apologies for the missed life they had planned to share.
This book can be purchased at the following locations:
http://www.amazon.com/
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/
http://www.christianbook.com/
http://www.deepershopping.com/
Biography
I am a wife, mother, and believer.
I am an eating disorder survivor, who makes art with words and paint.
I have two books coming out, this year and next, on the eating disorder journey. The first is 'Chasing Silhouettes: How to Help a Loved One Battling an Eating Disorder' (Ampelon, 2012), and the second, co-authored by Dr. Dena Cabrera, is 'Mom in the Mirror: Body Image, Beauty and Life After Pregnancy' (Rowman and Littlefield, 2013).
My first book, 'Save My Children: The Story of a Father's Love,' was published by Castle Quay Books in September of 2008.
I am represented by Sandra Bishop of MacGregor Literary. I also serve as a volunteer counselor through FINDINGbalance and am a Navigator with the National Eating Disorders Association (NEDA).
I am a monthly columnist for the Christian Courier, arts feature editor for TS Poetry, regular contributor to A Deeper Story, and a paid contributor to The High Calling. A former associate editor, ghostwriter and staff writer, I have written for Christianity Today (Kyria), Christian Week, Faith Today, Adbusters, Geez, The Anglican Planet, Focus on the Family, Christian Courier, and In Touch, in addition to having served as copy editor for the Christian Courier.
In May of 2012 my news story for Faith Today, "Parents Forgive their Child's Abductor," took first place in the Canadian Church Press Awards. According to Judge Mark Bourrie, "This is a very moving piece. The sense of joy, hope, faith and forgiveness that comes through simply grabs the heart. An inspiring story. Wierenga captures the terror of every parent's worst fear and tells how the parents of Kienan Hebert's faith never wavered in spite of the tremendous test that it faced. Told with sensitivity, care and skill. "
When I'm not writing, I play guitar, and I paint. My prints and paintings are sold worldwide, and can be found on Etsy through my shop entitled, CanvasChild.
My husband, Trenton, is a math and science teacher. We've been married nine years, have two boys named Aiden Grey (born Nov. 12, 2009) and Kasher Jude (July 25, 2011) and are foster parents to Joey and Jin. We live in rural Alberta, where we snowboard, make wine and go geocaching.
I come from a home-schooling heritage; my mum has overcome brain cancer. She is my song. My dad is her hero. He cares for her daily and pastors a church. I am the eldest of four.
I love to travel. In June of 2009, an excerpt from one of my books secured a trip to a writing workshop in Lake Como, Italy; I've also been to the Dominican Republic, Australia, Korea-where Trent and i taught English for a year-Lebanon, Jordan, Japan, China, Mexico, Holland, England and Germany. When I was young, I lived in Africa along with my parents who were missionaries.
Mine is a broken story, shared regularly on my blog.
Thank you, for standing with me in this literary and artistic chaos.
Live in love.
http://www.emilywierenga.com/
My Review ~
My skills as a reviewer cannot begin to summarize this book and do it justice. This book needs to be absorbed piece by piece like the blocks and stitches in the quilt that holds this story together. The fact that this is Emily T. Wierenga's debut novel is astonishing! It is impressive that a young woman created the life story of an elderly woman with such incredible depth of feeling and insight. The author displays wisdom beyond her years in portraying the yearnings, passion, emotions and realities in the life of the main character in "A Promise in Pieces."
The layers in this story are like the layers of a quilt, bits and pieces of cloth that comprise the top, batting which adds thickness and warmth, a backing to encase the batting, and the stitches which strengthen and bind the quilt together. As Clara's life unfolds and her faith is many times questioned assurance is realized through the light of something tangible in her life, and the scheme of God's plans are revealed, strengthening her resolve.
This is one woman's story, her journey of faith, her fears and dreams, the journey she travels throughout her life, and the people who become the focus in her life. This is an amazing piece of art that may be lost on young readers who lack the experiences of older readers, but I believe that the lessons learned throughout this beautiful story can be applied to anyone's life. I highly recommend "A Promise in Pieces" as a remarkable and brilliant narrative! I look forward to future books by this author!
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from Abingdon Press through the Book Fun program, a program sponsored by The Book Club Network, in exchange for my honest review. All opinions expressed are my own, and no monetary compensation was received for this review.


So happy to hear that you loved this book, Nancee, especially since we have similar tastes. My copy just came in the mail today. I'm really looking forward to reading it.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on your grandbabies too!
~Cindi
I was really consumed with this book, Cindi. Part of it is due to my age, I think, as I could relate to Clara, and the writing is exquisite. This is an author to follow. If her future books are anything like this one she has a wonderful future as an author.
DeleteI really like this series, this book sounds really interesting! =)
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your review!
Thanks for stopping by, Melissa!
DeleteJust lovely. Thank you for sharing your opinion. I haven't read it yet, but I have read articles and posts from Emily. I do love the Quilts of Love books I've read so far.
ReplyDeleteWonderful review Nancee. It sounds like an awesome book.
ReplyDeleteOh wow, Nancee! Your review is awesome!!!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Anne! Coming from you, I consider this a huge compliment!
DeleteGreat review. I'l have to read it. Did you ever read any of the Seaside Knitters Mystery Series? I stumbled across them, and am glad I did. It is a fun, easy series, with a pattern or two in back.
ReplyDeleteAnn, thank you!. I haven't read any of the Seaside Knitters Mystery books yet, but I think I'd love them! I'm a quilter and a knitter! Thanks for the tip!
ReplyDelete