Friday, August 22, 2014

Review & GIVEAWAY!
Yankee in Atlanta
Heroines Behind the Lines, Civil War Book #3
by Jocelyn Green

5.0 out of 5 stars Women of the Civil War



Description

When soldier Caitlin McKae woke up in Atlanta after being wounded in 
battle, the Georgian doctor who treated her believed Caitlin's only secret was 
that she had been fighting for the Confederacy disguised as a man. In order 
to avoid arrest or worse, Caitlin hides her true identity and makes a new life for 
herself in Atlanta.

Trained as a teacher, she accepts a job as a governess to the daughter of Noah Becker, a German immigrant lawyer, who enlists with the Rebel army. Then in the spring of 1864, Sherman's troops edge closer to Atlanta. Though starvation rules, and Sherman rages, she will not run again. In a land shattered by strife and suffering, a Union veteran and a Rebel soldier test the limits of loyalty and discover the courage to survive. Will honor dictate that Caitlin and Noah follow the rules, or love demand that they break them?

For more information on this series, visit HeroinesBehindtheLines.com.


Purchase at the following locations:
http://www.amazon.com/
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/
http://www.christianbook.com/
http://www.deepershopping.com/ - Best price!


Biography

Award-winning author Jocelyn Green inspires faith and courage in her readers through both fiction and nonfiction. A former military wife herself, she offers encouragement and hope to military wives worldwide through her Faith Deployed ministry. Her novels, inspired by real heroines on America's home front, are marked by their historical integrity and gritty inspiration.

Jocelyn graduated from Taylor University in Upland, Indiana, with a B.A. in English, concentration in writing. She is an active member of the Evangelical Press Association, Christian Authors Network, the Advanced Writers and Speakers Association, American Christian Fiction Writers, and the Military Writers Society of America.

She loves Mexican food, Broadway musicals, Toblerone chocolate bars, the color red, and reading on her patio. Jocelyn lives with her husband Rob and two small children in Cedar Falls, Iowa.

Visit her at www.jocelyngreen.com or join her at facebook.com/jocelyngreenauthor.


My Review ~

Our thoughts most often bring to mind the men who fought and died during the Civil War, forgetting the women who fought through this most violent war as well. Behind the lines, housing and aiding refugees and keeping life together, women represented strength that surpasses all understanding. This riveting novel of two families, one struggling in the north and the other barely surviving in the south bring to reality the violence, intolerance and hatred that the Civil War represented. 

Written with creativity and authenticity this novel is presented with rich historical detail, indicating that the author has researched her topic very carefully. The characters throughout this novel are described and developed with a realism that is commendable. Locations are described with accuracy and detail, transporting the reader to the various locations throughout the book. Jocelyn Green has proven herself to be a very gifted author who recreates a very difficult time in our nation's history, and without bias. I highly recommend "Yankee in Atlanta!" I have not read the prequels in this series, but this book easily stands on its own!

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from River North Fiction from Moody Publishers in exchange for my honest review. All opinions expressed are my own, and no monetary compensation was received for this review.

CONTEST GUIDELINES: Please leave a comment and your email address using [at] and [dot] to protect your email address. Giveaways are limited to residents of the continental US only, please. I am not responsible for loss or damage through the postal service. Winners have one week to claim their prizes. Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I appreciate all of your comments!


Optional: For additional chances to win this giveaway, share this contest through either Twitter or Facebook, and sign up to follow my blog. Please let me know what you did for extra chances to win. Deadline for this giveaway is Friday, 8-29-14.



14 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this great review, Nancee. I really like reading about the Civil War era so I'm going to pick up the whole series, especially since you enjoyed this book so much. Ü

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindi, you'll love this series if you enjoy Civil War fiction! Enjoy!

      Delete
  2. I love Civil War fiction. I will be reading these books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Civil War era stories and am eager to read Yankee in Atlanta! Thank you, Nancee, for sharing a wonderful review and giveaway opportunity.

    texaggs2000 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations, Britney! You are the winner of Yankee in Atlanta!

      Delete
  4. I am looking forward to read your book. Win or not either way.
    jls345 at att dot net

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that this book has my hometown in the name! :-) It really looks like a fascinating book. I really have heard great things about it and can't wait to read it!
    Nancycooks4u ( at ) gmail ( dot ) com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm looking forward to reading this, even more so after your review! Thanks for the giveaway, too. Danandlyndaedwards (at) msn (dot) com.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved your thoughts, as always, Nancee. I think I've got the first book in this series to review - I'm just a little behind! LOL! Don't enter me because I just now bought this book on sale for Kindle. With "Atlanta" in the title, how could I resist?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all for your kind comments. This is a book that will truly warm your hearts regarding those who fought, both North and South, throughout the Civil War!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a good book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nancee, I really love your review. I have only read the Widow of Gettysburg, but it is just as fascinating as you've described this one. Jocelyn has some great pictures and information concerning her research on her blog that I was reading earlier today. Thank you for offering a copy of Yankee in Atlanta. You don't need to enter me, as I bought the eBook this afternoon, since it was on sale. I shared your giveaway on my Pinterest page.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great review... would love to read this book!! Being from Atlanta - even better.

    Thanks for a chance to win.

    ladettek[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very intriguing cover!!
    susanlulu@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete