Sunday, February 15, 2015

"With Music In Their Hearts"
by Carole Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars The music plays on......,

Description

Angry at being rejected for military service, Minister Tyrell Walker accepts the call to serve as a civilian spy within his own country. 

Across the river from Cincinnati, Ohio, a spy working for a foreign country is stealing secret plans for newly developed ammunition to be used in the war. According to Tyrell's FBI cousin, this spy favors pink stationery giving strong indications that a woman is involved. 

Tyrell's instructed to obtain a room in the Rayner Boarding House run by the lovely, spunky red-haired Emma Jaine Rayner. Sparks of jealousy and love fly between them immediately even as they battle suspicions that one or the other is not on the up and up. 

While Tyrell searches for the murdering spy who reaches even into the boarding home, Emma Jaine struggles with an annoying renter, a worried father (who could be involved in this spy thing), and two younger sisters who are very different but just as strong willed as she is. 

Tyrell works to keep his double life a secret and locate the traitor. He refuses to believe that Emma Jaine could be involved even when he sees a red-haired woman in the arms of another man. Could the handsome and svelte banker who's also determined to win Emma Jaine's hand for marriage, be the dangerous man he s looking for? Is the trouble-making renter who hassles Emma Jaine serving as a flunky? Worse, is Papa Rayner so worried about his finances and keeping his girls in the style they re used to, that he'll stoop to espionage? 

Will their love survive the danger and personal issues that arise to hinder the path of true love?

This book can be purchased at the following locations:
http://www.amazon.com/
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/
http://www.booksamillion.com/



Biography

Carole Brown's debut novel, The Redemption of Caralynne Hayman, is a RWA Oklahoma International Digital Award 2nd place winner, a Clash of the Titles top three finalist, a Selah Award finalist in debut novels, and a semi-finalist in the Genesis contest. 

Besides being a member and active participant of many writing groups, she enjoys mentoring beginning writers. She loves to weave suspense and tough topics into her books, along with a touch of romance and whimsy, and is always on the lookout for outstanding titles and catchy ideas. She and her husband have ministered and counseled across the country. Together, they enjoy their grandsons, traveling, gardening, good food, the simple life, and did she mention their grandsons? 

I'd love to connect with readers at: 
Personal blog: http://sunnebnkwrtr.blogspot.com/ 
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CaroleBrown.author
Twitter: https://twitter.com/browncarole212
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/5237997-carole-brown

My Thoughts ~

Early WWII sets the stage for an intriguing story of suspense and mystique. A Cincinnati boarding house is inhabited by a cast of colorful and diverse characters with varied personalities. A father and his three daughters run the household with gatherings around the piano and a time of socializing every evening. The most recent resident is a pastor with a secret mission, working with the government to uncover a plot to steal plans for a new type of ammunition.

This is a classic 1940s scenario that brings to mind all of the memories from that era in time. On US home turf the war revolves around the residents who share the same address, but that's where the similarities end. This is a lively, fast-paced adventure that gives away no secrets, takes the reader on a few tangents, and produces a dollop of angst and a tidbit of comedy. The list of characters seems endless, varied and perplexing, and at times a lot to absorb, but there's never a dull moment in this dramatization. This is a treasure to enjoy!

Disclaimer: Thanks to the generosity of the author, I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. All opinions expressed are my own, and no monetary compensation was received for this review.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you, Nancee. tickled to see the review! Sharing . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your reviews, Nancee! They make me want to read every book. There is no way that is happening, not enough time in a day, but this one sounds like one I just might have make an exception for. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anne! I think you'd really enjoy this book. I understand about having so many books to read. I can't possibly read them all.

      Delete
  3. Hi Nancee. Thanks for the review of Carole's book. I have read the Redemption of Caralynn Hayman and I would recommend it to everyone. I also love reading about Boarding houses. I think it would be a very interesting place to live. Nancee I tried to share this but every time I pulled it up it had a big red Ad for Bethany House across it where there is no place to share. I tried several times. I am a follower of your, you know. Would love to have another of Carole's books. Thanks! Maxie > mac262(at)me(dot)com <

    ReplyDelete