Saturday, January 23, 2016

"Undaunted Hope"
(Beacons of Hope #3)
by
Jody Hedlund
GIVEAWAY
(Contest ends February 1st)




Description 
1871
Eagle Harbor, Michigan 
In a Town Mired in Darkness, She May Shine the Light They Need 

Running from the mistakes of her past, Tessa Taylor heads to the uppermost reaches of Michigan, planning to serve as the new teacher to the children of miners. She quickly learns the town had requested a male teacher, but Percival Updegraff, superintendent and chief mine clerk, says she can stay through winter since it's too late to replace her. Tessa can't help but thank him and say she is in his debt.

Determined to make herself irreplaceable once spring thaw arrives, Tessa throws herself into her work, and soon two students have decided Miss Taylor is the right match for their grieving father. At the same time, charming assistant lightkeeper Alex Bjorklund makes his interest known, surprising Tessa, who has never had men fight for her hand before. But not all is well as she feels that someone is tracking her every move, and she may not be able to escape the trap that has been laid for her.

Purchase at the following locations:
http://www.amazon.com
http://www.barnesandnoble.com
http://www.christianbook.com/
http://www.deepershopping.com/

Biography

Jody Hedlund is an award-winning and bestselling author of inspirational historical romances for both youth and adults.

As a busy mama-writer, she has the wonderful privilege of teaching her crew of 5 children at home. In between grading math papers and giving spelling tests, she occasionally does a load of laundry and washes dishes. When she's not busy being a mama, you can find her in front of her laptop working on another of her page-turning stories.

She loves reading almost as much as she loves writing, especially when it also involves chocolate and coffee. 
Website: http://jodyhedlund.com/
Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/AuthorJodyHedlund/?fref=ts



My thoughts ~

Once again, Jody Hedlund has composed a beautifully descriptive novel, the third in her Beacons of Light series. Strong characters prevail throughout this impressive adventure in Michigan's northern-most location. A villainous brute of a man controls this mining town of Eagle Harbor and everyone in it. Upon discovering that T. Taylor is a woman, he vows to make her life miserable.

The character Tessa portrays is strong willed, resolute and determined to demonstrate her capable teaching skills in spite of being a woman. Her acquaintance with the lighthouse keeper and his assistant bring back painful memories of her past, as the child of a light keeper. Ms. Hedlund brings the three adults together through two small motherless students, children of the head light keeper. 

The descriptive elements of Eagle Harbor and the lighthouse that safely points the way for ships into the harbor are impeccable, and easily envisioned by the reader. Historic information is accurate and well told. The lives of the area residents, mostly copper miners are poignant and authentic. Danger is a constant in the mining industry, and the magnificent power of Lake Superior is a deadly threat through storms and the winter elements. 

I was swept into this story of intensity and incipient romance and the constant threats from the town's villain, as well as the unpredictability of the Great Lake. As with the previous books in this series I found myself enraptured and unable to put the book down. The men in Tessa's life are strong and assertive, and the young children are charming and delightful. This is a book that will remain on my bookshelf and undoubtedly be read again. It goes without saying, I loved it!

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the author and Bethany House in exchange for my honest review. All opinions expressed are my own, and no monetary compensation was received for this review. 

CONTEST GUIDELINES: Please leave a comment and your email address using [at] and [dot] to protect your email address. Giveaways are limited to residents of the continental US only, please. I am not responsible for loss or damage through the postal service. Winners have one week to claim their prizes. Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I appreciate all of your comments!

Optional: For additional chances to win this giveaway, share this contest through either Twitter or Facebook, and sign up to follow my blog. Please let me know what you did for extra chances to win. Deadline for this giveaway is February 1st.

35 comments:

  1. I would love to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancee, great review! Sounds like a fantastic book! Love your blog :)
    sarahsmithstorm@gmaildotcom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent review Nancee. I so love Jody's books. Would love to win this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I follow your blog. Great review. Sounds like a winner!
    susanlulu(at)yahoo(dot)com
    Susan in NC

    ReplyDelete
  5. I grew up in Michigan, but have not read any of this series!

    I follow the blog via e-mail.

    pattymh2000(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love books about strong-willed woman! sonja dot nishimoto @ gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. FABULOUS REVIEW NANCEE! I can't wait to read this one. :)

    Shared on FB/follow via email psalm103and138 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like a really good book. I am signed up for your blog and I shared this on Facebook.
    susanmsj at msn dot com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a special place in my heart for the Michigan lighthouses (my husband proposed to me at the top of the Fort Gratiot one), so I am looking forward to reading Jody's latest installment. Thanks for the review and giveaway!

    I am a follower of your blog and have shared this giveaway on social media (Pinterest, Twitter, and Facebook).

    momrain(AT)aol(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Friends, thank you so much for the wonderful comments. I love it when I see the stories about either former or current residents of Michigan. This is a series that you don't want to miss. Even if your name is not selected as winner of this contest, be sure to obtain a copy of each of these books in the series. They are beautifully written and very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for this great review! I follow you by email and Google Friends. I shared this on Twitter.
    https://twitter.com/cps1950/status/691296625277431809
    Blessings!
    Connie
    cps1950(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for your review! Sounds like a terrific U.P. story! I signed up to follow your blog and shared your post on Facebook. bigwaterpub [at] gmail [dot] com.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great review! This one's definitely on my TBR list!

    Shared in FB group Christian Books Giveaways & Deals. Followed by email.
    justcommonly(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great interview. Thank you for sharing. Looking forward to reading Jody's new book.
    I shared on FB, Twitter, Pinterest and Google+, am following your blog.
    Here's hoping...
    anne at rightler dot com

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks like a very good read.
    Joan
    JoanEC128(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't wait to read Undaunted Hope! Hopefully I win it so I don't have to wait for our library to order a copy! mylittlebirdie (at) yahoo Dot Com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I shared this contest on Facebook and Twitter! mylittlebirdie (at) yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jody Hedlund's books are always a good read.
    Marion
    NarionMPC(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hope I have a chance to win this book, I love any storylines that deal with Lighthouses. Thanks for this awesome chance, Shared on Facebook. Linda May lindamay4852@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. You have such nice reviews on your blog Nancee.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You have such nice reviews on your blog Nancee.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I would love to win any books by Jody Hedlund.
    Marlyn
    MarilynDKC(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have really enjoyed Jody Hedlund's books, especially this series. I haven't read this one yet, but know it will be good. Lighthouses are always a pleasure to visit too.

    nina4sm/at/gmail/dot/com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am a follower of this blog and shared this post and giveaway on Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great review, Nancee! It makes me want to read this even more! What an exciting story by a wonderfully gifted author - thanks for the chance to win, and Jody - congrats on your new release! jeaniedannheim (at) ymail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  26. I signed up for your newsletter by e-mail. This was a great interview! Thanks for this giveaway. d[dot]brookmyer[at]yahoo[dot]com I shared on twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm so excited to see how many of you are Jody's fans. She is such a gifted author. I'm so happy to see so many of you entering this contest. Thank you! Your comments are heartwarming!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you for a lovely review that makes readers want to read an amazing book. I would love the chsnce to read this one. Your blog is very nicely set up.
    Thanks
    Deana

    ReplyDelete
  29. Cannot wait to read this one. :) I love this series!
    lattebooksAThotmailDOTcom

    ReplyDelete
  30. I have the first two and loved them. Praying I get to add this one. Thank you for the chance, Nancee
    leliamae54(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  31. I would love to win this book. I have read many of her books.
    ThereadmasterAtmeDotcom. I will join your

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow! You are such a great writer, Nancee. Between your review and my friend Rebecca's review, I think I might need to read this book. You know where to find me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Congratulations to Anne Rightler! Your name was selected as the winner of a copy of Jody's book, Undaunted Hope! Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete