Sunday, May 8, 2016

"A Lady In Defiance"
(Romance in the Rockies: #1)
by Heather Blanton



Description
Charles McIntyre owns everything and everyone in the lawless, godless mining town of Defiance. When three good, Christian sisters from his beloved South show up stranded, alone, and offering to open a "nice" hotel, he is intrigued enough to let them stay...especially since he sees feisty middle sister Naomi as a possible conquest. But Naomi, angry with God for widowing her, wants no part of Defiance or the saloon-owning, prostitute-keeping Mr. McIntyre. It would seem however, that God has gone to elaborate lengths to bring them together. The question is, "Why?" Does God really have a plan for each and every life? Written with gritty, but not gratuitous, realism uncharacteristic of historical Christian romances, A Lady in Defiance is edgy Christian fiction that gives a nod to both Pride and Prejudice and Redeeming Love. Based on true events, it is also an ensemble piece that deftly weaves together the relationships of the three sisters and the rowdy residents of Defiance. 

Purchase at the following locations:
http://www.amazon.com
http://www.barnesandnoble.com
 



Biography
I love Christian Western Romance because this is the genre that lets me write about strong, pioneer women and men who struggle to find God and then live out their faith in real ways. Romance is always a strong element in my stories because it is such a beautiful gift from God, and a perfect reflection of how he loves us: sacrificially and lavishly. My stories aren't preachy or cheesy, but I hope they are inspirational, heart-warming, realistic, illuminating, and glorifying to God. Like good old fashioned Westerns, there is always justice, a moral message, American values, lots of high adventure, unexpected plot twists, and more than a touch of suspense. I am a huge researcher, as well, and you will find hints of historical romances inspired by true stories in my novels!

I grew up in the mountains of Western North Carolina on a steady diet of Bonanza, Gunsmoke, and John Wayne Westerns. My most fond childhood memory is of sitting next to my daddy, munching on popcorn, and watching Lucas McCain unload that Winchester! I love exploring out West, especially ghost towns and museums. I've walked parts of the Oregon Trail, ridden horses through the Rockies, climbed to the top of Independence Rock, and even held an outlaw's note in my hand.


"I believe Christian fiction should be messy and gritty, because the human condition is ... and God loves us anyway." -- Heather Blanton
 

My thoughts ~

Heather Blanton is a new author to me, and a very good one at that. Reading A Lady in Defiance was like going back in time to the days when I watched "Westerns" on black and white television with my family. Those were good old days! During that era people watched those programs without concern for the outlaws, drunks, gunfights and loose women with low-cut gowns and heavy makeup. They were just good old television shows that we all knew were not indicative of our lives. They were entertainment! We didn't take them seriously. At the same time, reading Heather's book left me with those same feelings of past Westerns. 

Varied characters created a depth of humanity and acceptance of the differences in individuals. All types of characters were represented in honest and down-to-earth techniques. This novel is very descriptive and incited many emotions as the story moved along, at a fast pace with no room for boredom. 

I enjoyed all aspects of this novel. There is an earthy, authentic, coarseness to the community of Defiance. This is definitely a good versus evil kind of book that kept my attention right through to the end. I highly recommend A Lady in Defiance, and look forward to the sequel!

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from The Book Club Network's For Readers Only program in exchange for my honest review. All expressed opinions are my own, and no monetary compensation was received for this review. 

CONTEST GUIDELINES: Please leave a comment and your email address using [at] and [dot] to protect your email address. Giveaways are limited to residents of the continental US only, please. I am not responsible for loss or damage through the postal service. Winners have one week to claim their prizes. Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I appreciate all of your comments!

Optional: For additional chances to win this giveaway, share this contest through either Twitter or Facebook, and sign up to follow my blog. Please let me know what you did for extra chances to win. Deadline for this giveaway is Friday, May 13, 2016. 
 

24 comments:

  1. Intriguing review, Nancee! I've been trying to branch out a little more in my reading over the past couple years, and I'm slowly dipping my toe in the historical Western waters. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shared on FB and I follow your blog. Thank you for the chance a new author to me. God bless! Happy Mothers Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice review. Following your blog. Book sounds very interesting, would enjoy reading. Thanks for the giveaway.
    diannekc8(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice review. Following your blog. Book sounds very interesting, would enjoy reading. Thanks for the giveaway.
    diannekc8(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a blog follower and I thank you for the great review and giveaway.

    mauback55 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am really enjoying this series.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the quote
    "I believe Christian fiction should be messy and gritty, because the human condition is ... and God loves us anyway." It makes me want to read A Lady in Defiance and other books by Heather Blanton. Then your review made me want to read it even more. fishingjan[at]aol[dot]com
    I shared this post on Facebook and on Twitter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CONGRATULATIONS, Jan Hall! Your name was randomly selected from all the entries in this contest. You'll soon be receiving a copy of A Lady in Defiance!

      Delete
  8. This looks like a good rad.
    Joan
    JoanEC128(@)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank You for this great giveaway.
    Marion
    MarionMPC(@)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great giveaway. Thanks for the review, it looks like a good read.
    Marilyn
    MarilynDKC[at]AOL[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great giveaway! Thank you for the opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great giveaway! Thank you for the opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful perspective review. Thanks for the giveaway and good luck everyone. I signed up to follow your blog and shared on Twitter and Facebook. princessdebbie1_2000(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  14. You read such great books, Nancee and your perspective helps me. Westerns aren't usually my fair but I think I will give this one a whirl. I saw her book advertised elsewhere and was quite interested. Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, my email is sh2rose(at)cox(dot)net
      I shared on Facebook and twitter. I'll see if I can on Pinterest also.

      Delete
    2. I tried posting on Facebook but the photo was strange and was not her book so I didn't post it. Pinterest took it and also Twitter though. I'm already on your newsletter list. Thanks for this giveaway opportunity!

      Delete
    3. Sorry but I did share your FB post now.

      Delete
  15. Sounds like my kinda book!

    Thanks for the chance!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like my kinda book!

    Thanks for the chance!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry to say that I haven't yet read any of your books!
    Becky Smith

    ReplyDelete