Wednesday, November 9, 2016

"Waves of Mercy"
by Lynn Austin!
Review & GIVEAWAY!



Description

Austin Returns with a Multi-Generational Historical Novel

Geesje de Jonge crossed the ocean at age seventeen with her parents and a small group of immigrants from the Netherlands to settle in the Michigan wilderness. Fifty years later, in 1897, she's asked to write a memoir of her early experiences as the town celebrates its anniversary. Reluctant at first, she soon uncovers memories and emotions hidden all these years, including the story of her one true love.

At the nearby Hotel Ottawa Resort on the shore of Lake Michigan, twenty-three-year-old Anna Nicholson is trying to ease the pain of a broken engagement to a wealthy Chicago banker. But her time of introspection is disturbed after a violent storm aboard a steamship stirs up memories of a childhood nightmare. As more memories and dreams surface, Anna begins to question who she is and whether she wants to return to her wealthy life in Chicago. When she befriends a young seminary student who is working at the hotel for the summer, she finds herself asking him all the questions that have been troubling her.

Neither Geesje nor Anna, who are different in every possible way, can foresee the life-altering surprises awaiting them before the summer ends.







Biography

Award winning author Lynn Austin was a former teacher who now writes and speaks full time, has won six Christy Awards for her historical fiction. One of those novels, Hidden Places, has also been made into a Hallmark Channel movie. Lynn and her husband have raised three children and make their home near Chicago, Illinois.
Favorite Verse: Isaiah 40:31 -"But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as EAGLES they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."






My thoughts ~

Waves of Mercy is reminiscent of a very significant family history regarding my own ancestors. Every aspect of this book is filled with memories of my own family who immigrated to West Michigan from The Netherlands. 

Lynn Austin has done a spectacular job of recreating the plight of those immigrants and their very difficult encounters both during the immigration process, and starting anew in an underdeveloped locale. I had a little trouble keeping timelines and characters straight at the beginning of the book, but with the development of those characters I began to feel a part of their story. Names mentioned throughout the book are still familiar to this locale.

The setting for this novel is very familiar, and it was an early journey through my own lifelong home in Michigan. Description was a highlight, as well as the development of each of the characters. The research for this book is very well done. The locations described are accurate and particularly sentimental.

I highly recommend this latest release from Lynn Austin. Her previous novels are some of my favorites, and this one was no disappointment.   

Disclaimer: I purchased a copy of this book, and was pleasantly surprised when I received a gift copy from the publisher. My expressed opinions are my own, and I was not expected to post a positive review.

CONTEST GUIDELINES: Please leave a comment and your email address using [at] and [dot] to protect your email address. Giveaways are limited to residents of the continental US only, please. I am not responsible for loss or damage through the postal service. Winners have one week to claim their prizes. Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I appreciate all of your comments!

Optional: For additional chances to win this giveaway, share this contest through either Twitter or Facebook, and sign up to follow my blog. Please let me know what you did for extra chances to win. Deadline for this giveaway is Tuesday, November 15th.


  

44 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting a giveaway with one of my favorite authors! Alison dot louise at gmail .com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancee, great review and I love the setting of the story. Waves of Mercy sounds very interesting. I so want to visit Michigan one day (from all of Carrie's stories).

    Congratulations Lyn on your book, Waves of Mercy!

    Blessings,Tina

    KINGsDaughter5683(at)gmail (dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already follow your blog.
      I shared on facebook.
      Blessings,Tina

      Delete
  3. Ooh, I have been eyeing this one because it is in Holland. :) Count me in, Nancee! lattebooksAThotmailDOTcom

    ReplyDelete
  4. I posted to Facebook, Pinterest, and to Twitter and I love Lynn Austin. This book is on my TBR list and has for some time now. Would love to win it. Good luck everyone. princessdebbie1_2000(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would like to have this story by Lynn Austin. Multi-generational stories are interesting to find the connection.
    Shared on Twitter https://twitter.com/LaneHillHouse/status/796477043500347392, Facebook share, already subscribe to be notified of your posts, and shared on my Pinterest Books, Books, and More Books https://www.pinterest.com/pin/215609900890480599/
    Thank you, Nancee, for your review of "Waves of Mercy." Kathleen ~ Lane Hill House lanehillhouse[at]centurylink[dot]net

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to win this book. It sounds very interesting.
    MarionMPC(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so looking forward to reading this book. Would love to win. I follow your blog and I shared on Twitter and Facebook.
    ThereadmasterAtmeDotcom

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm fond of Michigan stories too. would love to win Lynn's new book. Thank you for sharing!
    Anne at Rightler dot com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds great! jarning67(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds like a great read. Thanks for the giveaway.
    MarilynDKC[at]AOL[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I shared on Twitter. I already follow your blog. fishingjan{at}aol{dot}com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been very impressed with Lynn's books, and see that I somehow missed reading Hidden Places. I will need to correct this! I very much want to read this new book, Waves of Mercy!I especially liked the cover - she is like me, holding a book!
    Janice
    pjrcmooreATwindstreamDOTnet

    ReplyDelete
  13. "Waves of Mercy" sounds like a fascinating story. My ancestors also immigrated from the Netherlands to Southwest Michigan and this sounds a lot like our family's history, would like to read about that time period in the history of Michigan. Thanks for the great giveaway.
    diannekc8(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CONGRATULATIONS, Dianne Casey! Your name was randomly selected as the winner of this contest. You have won a copy of Waves of Mercy! Happy Reading!

      Delete
  14. This sounds like a wonderful book. I especially like your comments about it relating to your own family. Thank you for the chance to win a copy of this book. I already follow your blog and am sharing this post on Facebook.
    debbiewilder(at)comcast(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great review. Sounds like a wonderful book. Following your blog and shared on Facebook. Thank you for the chance

    Jhdwayne(at)peoplepc(dot)com.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I shared on FB, follow your blog. Thank you for the chance. Blessings!
    leliamae54(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Having grown up in MI I would love to read this book!

    I follow the blog via e-mail.

    pattymh2000(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would enjoy reading this :)
    I follow & by email
    dkstevensne )at( outlook (dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Being an immigrant and genealogist myself, I think I would LOVE to read this interesting sounding book! Right up my alley! sonja dot nishimoto at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Would love! catwoman0667 (at) yahoo (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds great! Thank you for the opportunity.

    mauback55 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, I am just obsessed with family history and this could be anyone's ancestor!

    Trdivincenzo (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I shared on FB and signed up for your newsletter also !!! I love Lynn's Books and this one sounds awesome and I really love the cover as well !
    Linda Marie Finn
    faithfulacresbodysoulspirit@gmail (dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my moms family came here from Holland in 1705 and lived in PA !
    Yes this could be anyone's family history...
    Linda Marie Finn

    ReplyDelete
  25. I live in PA. Your review is fascinating and I would love to read this. I have read most of her other books, excellent.I am a blog follower and shared on facebook. Thank you for the giveaway opportunity.

    Cnnamongirl at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  26. I would love to win this book. Thank You for the giveaway.
    JoanEC128(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have this on my to read list! I have loved all of the books that I have read by Lynn Austin and I'm sure this new one will be no exception!! Thanks for the great giveaway!

    jdennis298(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you Nancy for this wonderful review! I love Lynn's books!
    And thanks for the giveaway. Hope you are doing well.
    Blessings. Joy

    ReplyDelete
  29. This sounds interesting and it would be a treat to read a book by this author. Which I have not yet done. If I don't win this copy perhaps it can be found in my library.

    ReplyDelete
  30. sounds like a good book! Shelia Hall sheliarha64(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  31. I am from SW Michigan and my family is very interested in genealogy. I also enjoy historical Christian stores so I think I might cherish this. mardelle(at)juno (dot) com.

    ReplyDelete
  32. This one sounds like a winner to me!

    mauback55 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  33. I really enjoy books by Lynn! Thanks for the wonderful review and giveaway chance Nancee :-)

    I've shared on both FB and Twitter and follow your blog
    teamob4 (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Everyone keeps telling me to read a Lynn Austin book and I haven't yet. So I might as well start with this one. Haha!
    pam1lunsford(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  35. Nancee, I'm not at all surprised that you loved this book especially since it takes place in your home state. Ü
    Lynn is one of my all-time favorite authors and I have this book on my Christmas wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love Lynn Austin!

    ~Melissa
    misshoneybee[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thanks for having a giveawayI I love Lynn Austin! my email is mhenretty(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love Lynn Austin. Thanks for the giveway. connie.tillman82 at gmail dot com

    I follow your blog now.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thanks for sharing Lynn's book.
    I shared this on Twitter.
    I follow your blog.
    Connie
    cps1950(at)mail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  40. Nancee, I love Lynn's books!

    I shared on Googe+ and Facebook.

    I follow your blog via psalm103and138 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete