"Forest Child"
Vikings of the New World Saga, #2
by Heather Day Gilbert
Description
Viking warrior. Dauntless leader. Protective mother. Determined to rise
above her rank as the illegitimate "forest child" of Eirik the Red,
Freydis launches a second voyage to Vinland to solidify her power and to
demand the respect she deserves. She will return home with enough
plunder to force her brother, Leif, to sell her the family farm in
Greenland. But nothing can prepare her for the horrors she must
confront in Vinland...and nothing can stand in her way when her family
is threatened. In her race to outrun the truths that might destroy her,
Freydis ultimately collides with the only enemy she cannot silence—her
own heart. Historically based on the Icelandic Sagas, Forest Child
brings the memorable, conflicted persona of Freydis Eiriksdottir to
life. This immersive tale is Book Two in the bestselling Vikings of the
New World Saga.
Biography
HEATHER DAY GILBERT, a Grace Award winner and bestselling
author, writes novels that capture life in all its messy, bittersweet,
hope-filled glory. Born and raised in the West Virginia mountains,
generational story-telling runs in her blood. Heather is a graduate of
Bob Jones University, and she and her husband are raising their children
in the same home in which Heather grew up.
Heather's Viking
historical novels, God's Daughter and Forest Child, are Amazon Norse
bestsellers. Heather has also authored the bestselling Murder in the
Mountains mystery series, the Hemlock Creek Suspense series, and the
Indie Publishing Handbook: Four Key Elements for the Self-Publisher.
Sign up for Heather's newsletter updates on her upcoming releases here: http://eepurl.com/Q6w6X
My Thoughts ~
This
genre is quite new to me, but I was captivated by the events throughout
this book. A novel about the differences between family, enemies and
the struggle for power takes
us on journeys to Vinland and Greenland. The fight for power and
respect creates both darkness and horror. Historically based on the
Icelandic Sagas, the daughter of Eirik the Red, Freydis Eiriksdottir is
known as the illegitimate Forest Child.
Unfamiliar
with either Vinland or Greenland, I discovered much through Gilbert's
descriptive skills of both the terrain and the lifestyles of people
throughout these areas during this time period. Freydis demonstrated an
immense power and strength that many men couldn't match. Her craving for
respect and power nearly consumed her. This obsession for power brought
her to experience unknown atrocities and horror.
I
found it very difficult to like Freydis through this powerful novel,
and was I was repulsed by her actions while in Vinland. I grew to respect her
after her return to Greenland when she endured unfairness and cruelty
from her brother. Once she returned to Vinland Freydis became a character I grew to respect and favor.
Forest
Child is a powerful and deeply disturbing tale of a woman who fought
like a man, but exhibited love for a child. Impressed by "Forest Child,"
I will be picking up a copy of "God's Daughter." Forest Child has
piqued my interest in learning the background for this compelling tale!
Disclaimer:
I received a copy of this book for review, with no expectations for a
positive review. All expressed opinions are my own, and no monetary
compensation was received for this review.
I'm not a massive fan of Viking Fiction, but I loved the book. That said, I am a fan of Anglo-Saxon Fiction, which is set a couple of centuries before in England, so some of the more unpleasant content was not so unfamilar to me.
ReplyDeleteHeather did a wonderful job of creating the 'world' and sympahy for Freydis as a real person in an unforgiving world.
If you are interested, I place this as a favourite alongside 'The Nortumbrian Thrones' trilogy by Edoardo Albert, which tells the story of the first Christian Kings of Kingdom in Northern England in the seventh century. There is also 'The Abbess of Whitby' by Jill Dalladay, which tells the story of a Saxon Royal woman who set up one of the most famous Abbeys of her time.
Thank you for enlightening me with your reading experiences. It's great when people share what they have read from different perspectives and time periods. I'll be checking out these books in the future.
Delete