A Plain Leaving #1
The Sisters of Lancaster County
by Leslie Gould
Review & GIVEAWAY!
Review & GIVEAWAY!
Description
Gould Offers a New Amish Series in Idyllic Lancaster County
At age twenty, Jessica Bachman left her two beloved sisters and her Amish community after clashing with the new bishop about her role in the family and the future of their farm. She tried to convince Silas Kemp, who'd been courting her for two years, to join her, but when he said no, she fled anyway.
Three years later, she returns home for the first time since leaving Lancaster to attend her father's funeral. Her arrival back revives all sorts of emotions--yearnings and sorrows alike. Jessica knows things will never return to how they were. But in seeing Silas again, she can't help but wonder what might have been.
Struggling to decide where her next step should take her, she learns the story of a Revolutionary War-era ancestor that echoes her own choices. Will Jessica leave her family and community forever, or is there peace and healing and love yet to come?
At age twenty, Jessica Bachman left her two beloved sisters and her Amish community after clashing with the new bishop about her role in the family and the future of their farm. She tried to convince Silas Kemp, who'd been courting her for two years, to join her, but when he said no, she fled anyway.
Three years later, she returns home for the first time since leaving Lancaster to attend her father's funeral. Her arrival back revives all sorts of emotions--yearnings and sorrows alike. Jessica knows things will never return to how they were. But in seeing Silas again, she can't help but wonder what might have been.
Struggling to decide where her next step should take her, she learns the story of a Revolutionary War-era ancestor that echoes her own choices. Will Jessica leave her family and community forever, or is there peace and healing and love yet to come?
Biography
Leslie Gould is the best-selling and award-winning author of twenty-five novels. She loves traveling, research, Shakespeare's plays, and church history. She and her husband live in Portland, Oregon and are the parents of four children. http://www.lesliegould.com/
My Perspective ~
Jessica was shunned after leaving her Amish roots for a new experience in the Englisch world. The death of her father brought her home where life with her family was difficult as a result of her shunning. Her family showed her no mercy, aside from her Amish aunt who shared the Revolutionary War history of her ancestors and the farmland left to successive family members. This compelling story of Ruby's life revealed a wealth of information helpful to Jessica. Jessica and Ruby's lives paralleled one another with their interwoven connections.
Current issues enter the picture, such as shunning, family dysfunction, personal loss and relationships, fracking on Amish land, and the future of Jessica's family property. Not your usual Amish story, the author adds so much depth to this compelling story with its rich historical detailing, descriptive landscape and characterizations.
Written with strong insight into the Amish community and well researched information regarding the Revolutionary war, Leslie Gould has created one of her best achievements in her literary career. It was difficult to see this story come to its conclusion. I highly recommend "A Plain Leaving" for its wealth of family dynamics and personal developments!
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book with no expectations for a positive review. All expressed opinions are my own.
Current issues enter the picture, such as shunning, family dysfunction, personal loss and relationships, fracking on Amish land, and the future of Jessica's family property. Not your usual Amish story, the author adds so much depth to this compelling story with its rich historical detailing, descriptive landscape and characterizations.
Written with strong insight into the Amish community and well researched information regarding the Revolutionary war, Leslie Gould has created one of her best achievements in her literary career. It was difficult to see this story come to its conclusion. I highly recommend "A Plain Leaving" for its wealth of family dynamics and personal developments!
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book with no expectations for a positive review. All expressed opinions are my own.
CONTEST GUIDELINES: Please leave a comment and your email address using [at] and [dot] to protect your email address. Giveaways are limited to residents of the continental US only, please. I am not responsible for loss or damage through the postal service. Winners have one week to claim their prizes. Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I appreciate all of your comments!
Optional: For additional chances to win this giveaway, share this contest through either Twitter or Facebook, and sign up to follow my blog. Please let me know what you did for extra chances to win. Deadline for this giveaway is Saturday, 10-28-2017.


I love reading Leslie Gould's books! I look forward to this new series. Thank you for the giveaway opportunity.
ReplyDeleteperrianne[dot]askew[at]me[dot]com
Leslie Gould is a new-to-me author. I went through am Amish phase years ago, and read everything I could get my hands on, would love to read this. Thank you for the chance to win! jcrea at comcast dot net
ReplyDeleteShared on twitter: https://twitter.com/CreaJeanne/status/921773982663274497
DeleteShunning has always seemed a severe punishment to me. I'm intrested in the family history in the story since I do genealogy also. lemonade050 at hotmail dot com
ReplyDeleteLove all of Leslie's books, would love to read this. rlepree at musfiber dot com
ReplyDeleteThis sounds like a wonderful book to get lost in. grocerymoney15 at yahoo dot com
ReplyDeleteSounds like a great book I love her as an author and have read many of her books would love to have this one mypjm99 at hotmail dot com
ReplyDeleteLove Amish. Would love to read this.
ReplyDeletenana04083 at gmail dot com
CONGRATULATIONS, Aletha! Your name was randomly selected to win a copy of A Plain Leaving! I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did!
DeleteShared on Facebook
ReplyDeleteWould to get a copy WThomas1959(at)yahoo(dot)com. So love Amish books
ReplyDeleteWould love to read this!
ReplyDeletesmincer10(at)gmail(dot)com
I love Amish fiction and would love to read this book.
ReplyDeleteShared on Facebook.
I follow your blog by e mail
marypopmom (at) yahoo (dot) com
Merry
Love to read Amish fiction. Thanks for a chance to win this book.
ReplyDeleteseraphinangel7(at)aol(dot)com.
I'm fairly new reader to Leslie Gould's books but have loved the ones I've read so far. She quickly was added to my "favorite author's" list. A used bookstore I've been going to for 30 yrs, will order books for their customers. I give them a list of my favorite authors and they preorder the books for me. That way I never miss a new book. I love the Amish books, historical & suspense in Christian fiction. Would love to read this book.
ReplyDeleteLove reading Amish fiction. I like learning about the Amish way of life. Would love to read. Thanks for the chance.
ReplyDeletediannekc8(at)gmail(dot)com
Love reading Amish fiction. I like learning about the Amish way of life. Would love to read. Thanks for the chance.
ReplyDeletediannekc8(at)gmail(dot)com
I would love to read this. I enjoy books about the Amish. Thanks @bebbiesue45@hotmail.com.
ReplyDeleteI love Leslie's books. I have been hoping to read this and am crossing my fingers! sonja dot nishimoto at gmail dot com
ReplyDeleteI love these books. I already follow the blog.
ReplyDeleteThereadmaster(at)me(dot)com
I like amish stories! Would make my day.to win one.malife1atneo.rrdotcom
ReplyDeleteI would like to have one. I love reading amish stories
ReplyDeleteI really like amish stories. Hope i get one . Malife1atneodotrrdotcom
ReplyDeleteI've not yet had a chance to read any of Leslie's books and your review tells me I'd be in for a treat! I love Amish fiction so I know I'd enjoy this, thank you for the chance to win a copy Nancee :-)
ReplyDeleteI've shared this on FB & Twitter and follow your blog, thanks for the extra chances!
The cover on the book is pretty! I'd love to read this book.
ReplyDeletesusanlulu(at)yahoo(dot)com
Thank you for your perspective. I love Leslie Gould's books and can't wait to get my hands on A Plain Leaving. Thanks for the chance to win a copy!
ReplyDelete2clowns at arkansas dot net
CONGRATULATIONS, Kay! Your name was selected randomly as the winner of this contest, and you will be receiving a copy of A Plain Leaving as soon as I receive your address. Happy Reading!
DeleteLeslie Gould is an author I have not read, but, as I love Amish stories, I would love a chance to read this series. Thank you for a chance to win!!!! carlaine(at)msn(dot)com
ReplyDeleteI am familiar with Leslie's books but haven't ready many of them. This is very interesting with the history blended in with the current day story. The locale provides a great deal of intriguing historical detail, as I have done some research in that time period while doing family genealogy from that area. I shared on Facebook. Thanks! dobeworld at sbcglobal dot net
ReplyDeleteIt has been awhile since I've a Leslie Gould book. I would love to win this one for the ladies in our church.
ReplyDeletegodleyv [at] yahoo [dot] com