Friday, December 1, 2017

"A Song of Home"

A Novel of the Swing Era
(Pearl Spence Novels)
by Susie Finkbeiner




Description

Pearl Spence has finally settled into a routine in Bliss, Michigan, far from her home in Red River, Oklahoma. Like all the other kids, she goes to school each day, plays in the woods, and does her chores. But there's one big difference: Mama is still gone, and doesn't seem to have a thought for the family she's left behind.

Escaping from her worries is another part of Pearl's new routine, whether that's running to Aunt Carrie's farm, listening to the radio with Ray, or losing herself in a book. In fact, a chair in the stacks, surrounded by books, might be her favorite place on earth--until she discovers swing dancing. The music transports Pearl to a whole other world.

When Mama unexpectedly returns, it isn't the happy occasion Pearl had imagined. Mama is distant and Pearl can't figure out how to please her. And the horrible way she treats Daddy is more than Pearl can bear. Seems life would be better if Mama would just stay away.

Finkbeiner's portrayal of both tragedy and everyday life in times of great change is charged with a raw beauty that will haunt readers. Fans of the two prior Pearl Spence novels won't be disappointed! 



Biography

Susie Finkbeiner is a story junkie. Always has been and always will be. It seems it's a congenital condition, one she's quite fond of.

After decades of reading everything she could get her hands on (except for See the Eel, a book assigned to her while in first grade, a book she declared was unfit for her book-snob eyes), Susie realized that she wanted to write stories of her own. She began with epics about horses and kittens (but never, ever eels). 

It takes years to grow a writer and after decades of work, Susie realized (with much gnashing of teeth and tears) that she was a novelist. In order to learn how to write novels, she read eclectically and adventurously (she may never swim with sharks, but the lady will jump into nearly any story). After reading the work of Lisa Samson, Patti Hill, and Bonnie Grove she realized that there was room for a writer like her in Christian fiction.

Her first novels Paint Chips (2013) and My Mother's Chamomile (2014) have contemporary settings. While she loved those stories and especially the characters, Susie felt the pull toward historical fiction.

When she read Into the Free by Julie Cantrell she knew she wanted to write historical stories with a side of spunk, grit, and vulnerability. Susie is also greatly inspired by the work of Jocelyn Green, Rachel McMillan, and Tracy Groot.

A Cup of Dust: A Novel of the Dust Bowl (2015), Finkbeiner's bestselling historical set in 1930s Oklahoma, has been compared to the work of John Steinbeck and Harper Lee (which flatters Susie's socks off). Pearl's story continues with A Trail of Crumbs: A Novel of the Great Depression (2017) and A Song of Home: A Novel of the Swing Era (2018). 

What does she have planned after that? More stories, of course. She's a junkie. She couldn't quit if she wanted to.


My Perspective ~

Still tormented by her mother's desertion and failure to return, Pearl clings to her father and Uncle Gus and Aunt Carrie. Her dearest friend, Ray, is both brother and soul mate, a youngster whose own pain is raw and disheartening. Opal Moon, hired helper and caregiver, is discovered to be a swing dancer! Pearl is enchanted and begs Opal to give her lessons, creating a reason to blossom, a diversion from her haunting reality.

Pearl has become a part of my life. Her grit, determination and gentle spirit are endearing, and my heart aches for this young girl whose childhood is filled with chaos, torment and disappointment. This author possesses a rare gift, creative insight into the souls of her characters. This gift, unwrapped, penetrates the hearts of those who read her compositions.  Steeped in rich detail, accurate historical facts, and tenderness for her characters creates a very real portrait of humanity. Leaving the reader enraptured, these stories are unforgettable.

Although this series has ended, Pearl's story continues in the hearts of those of us who know and love her. My life has been changed by Pearl and the many other characters I've grown to love in this series. I'm smitten with each of the Pearl Spence stories, and the transition from one installment to the next is seamless. This book could be a stand alone, but there is so much more to Pearl's young life that I would be remiss in not encouraging you to read all three books. I hope you love them as much as I do!

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book as a gift, and there were no expectations for me to write a positive review. All expressed opinions are my own, and no monetary compensation was received for this review.

CONTEST GUIDELINES: Please leave a comment and your email address using [at] and [dot] to protect your email address. Giveaways are limited to residents of the continental US only, please. I am not responsible for loss or damage through the postal service. Winners have one week to claim their prizes. Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I appreciate all of your comments!

Optional: For additional chances to win this giveaway, share this contest through either Twitter or Facebook, and sign up to follow my blog. Please let me know what you did for extra chances to win. Deadline for this giveaway is Friday, 12-8-17.


19 comments:

  1. This looks awesome! :D

    krispride at me dot com

    (Shared on Facebook & Twitter)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This whole series is awesome, Kris. You'd love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was such a great read! I’ve read the first and last...need to read the middle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I shared via Twitter https://twitter.com/ewemerritt/status/936645581463785476, Shared on FB, and signed up to follow by email. Email is Ewe_r_merritt at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved these books. I have the first 2 in ebooks and the 3rd one I read a NetGalley copy so I would love to win my own copy of A Song of Home. Thanks for the giveaway! I shared on Twitter & FB
    And I signed up to follow by email
    grandmama_brenda(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to win this book, it sounds so good! Thank you for the chance! Email: gmhk2001(at)Yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CONGRATULATIONS, Gerri! Your name was randomly selected in this contest for a copy of A Song of Home! I hope you love it as much as I did!

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much, I can't wait to read it! It sounds like a truly amazing book!

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a winner and I would love to read it! Thank you for the opportunity.

    mauback55 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  8. The next part of Pearl's life sounds quite intriguing. I can't wait to read the continuation of her story.

    I'd love to have my name thrown in the hat to win a copy of A Song of Home. My email is cindialtman(at)gmail(dot)com. Thanks so much for sharing your take on Susie's latest book, Nancee.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a must read! Thank you for the chance.

    psalm103and138atgmaildotcom

    Shared giveaway on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/caryl.kane/posts/10154871252911637

    ReplyDelete
  10. This book would be a great addition to the church library if I win.
    Thanks for giving me the chance to do so.
    Janet E.
    von1janet(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd love to read this book!
    Rosalyn
    allofakindmom at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a great read. Thank you for the chance.
    leliamae54(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  13. How disappointing for Pearl to wait for her Mothers return and then wish it hadn't happened! I look forward to reading her story.

    pattymh2000(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I follow the blog via email.

    pattymh2000(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have the first two on my Kindle, I'd love to add this to it, thank you for the chance Nancee! I shared via FB & Twitter and I follow the blog via email.

    teamob4 (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds like a book I would enjoy reading. Perfect for winter reading, I shared on facebook and follow your blog by e mail
    marypopmom (at) yahoo (dot) com
    Merry

    ReplyDelete
  17. The books sounds like something I would enjoy reading on these cold winter nights, curled up with an electric blanket & a cup of hot chocolate

    ReplyDelete