Fire Storm
Where There's Smoke, There is Fire
The Amish of Mackinac County #1)
by Laura V. Hilton
Giveaway!
Giveaway!
Description
When Bridget Behr and her family migrate from a bustling Amish community in Ohio to the remote and isolated Upper Peninsula of Michigan, they’re met with an ugly surprise: the house they had bought sight unseen is an uninhabitable wreck. While her father and brother try to find work in the area, the family is forced to live in tents until the house and barn are rebuilt. Bridget can’t shake the guilt that it was her fault her family moved—and is too afraid to trust anyone, especially the flirtatious, overly-friendly Amish man who lives next door.
Gabriel Lapp has made Michigan his home out of necessity, but can’t wait to move back to Florida with its sunshine and warmer temperatures. But when Bridget’s family seeks refuge with Gabe during a fierce thunderstorm, he can’t help but feel a tug of responsibility for them—especially the girl with the dark green eyes.
Just as Bridget is finally settling into friendship, a new life, and maybe even love, a devastating forest fire ravages the county, destroying both land and the Behrs' dreams. Now Bridget and her family must decide: will they leave behind the ashes and start anew in another Amish community? Or will they dare to fight for the future they’d hoped for in Mackinac County?
Gabriel Lapp has made Michigan his home out of necessity, but can’t wait to move back to Florida with its sunshine and warmer temperatures. But when Bridget’s family seeks refuge with Gabe during a fierce thunderstorm, he can’t help but feel a tug of responsibility for them—especially the girl with the dark green eyes.
Just as Bridget is finally settling into friendship, a new life, and maybe even love, a devastating forest fire ravages the county, destroying both land and the Behrs' dreams. Now Bridget and her family must decide: will they leave behind the ashes and start anew in another Amish community? Or will they dare to fight for the future they’d hoped for in Mackinac County?
Biography
Award winning author, Laura Hilton, her husband, Steve, and their five children make their home in Arkansas. She is a pastor’s wife, a stay-at-home mom and home-schools. Laura is also a breast cancer survivor.
My Perspective ~
Fire Storm is this author's very best accomplishment to date! I became so deeply involved with Gabe's life that I found myself in tears several times. All of the characters in this book are real people in my mind. Described with such raw and primal depth and sensitivity, I melted emotionally. I will be reading this book again and again. My heart ached as one tragedy transcended to another.
I have been a fan of Amish fiction for many years, but I find that this author goes far beyond the norms of the genre, and expands her characters and action into unexplored territory. Written with passion and great sensitivity, this book will remain a lifelong favorite!
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book with no expectations for a positive review. All expressed opinions are my own.
CONTEST GUIDELINES: Please leave a comment and your email address using [at] and [dot] to protect your email address. Giveaways are limited to residents of the continental US only, please. I am not responsible for loss or damage through the postal service. Winners have one week to claim their prizes. Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I appreciate all of your comments!
Optional: For additional chances to win this giveaway, share this contest through either Twitter or Facebook, and sign up to follow my blog. Please let me know what you did for extra chances to win. Deadline for this giveaway is Saturday, July 14, 2018.


I must say that Amish stories are my favorite genre too. LOVE Laura V. Hilton's books. For you to say that "Fire Storm" is by far her best has me all excited and making sure it's on my TBR list - which it was. I would be beyond thrilled for the opportunity to read this book.
ReplyDeleteI shared on Facebook - Kay Garrett, Twitter - @arkieclown, Pinterest - arkieclowns and Google+ - Kay Garrett. I also signed up for your newsletter at 2clowns at arkansas dot net. Thank you for the chance to win a copy of this amazing book.
Thank you, Nancee! And thank you so much, Kay! Best of luck to you.
ReplyDeleteI sooooo 'need' this book! lol
ReplyDeleteI love Laura's books and have this one on my wish list. Thank you for the chance to win a copy.
I shared on FaceBook (Wendy Newcomb) and Twitter (@WendyNewcomb)
wfnren at aol dot com
I love reading Amish books but must say that I am really looking forward to reading this one because this California girl really loves Mackinaw Island and the Upper Peninsula so I am very intrigued as to what is happening there.
ReplyDeleterobsnest60 [at] yahoo [dot] com
I too love Amish books. I can imagine what it would have been for them in the U.P. In the winter when it can snow 6 feet in one snowfall. Living in the Thumb of Michigan isn’t quite so bad.
ReplyDeleteReally looking forward to this book especially since you ypu said its Lauras best yet! Hoping to win! Shared on facebook! jean.dixon(at)hotmail(dot)com
ReplyDeleteI shared on FaceBook. I am signed to follow your blog. Thank you for the opportunity to win.Have a wonderful week.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Wendy! Good luck!
ReplyDeleteI love the Upper Peninsula too and my son lives there now so good excuses to visit. Good luck, Robsnest
ReplyDeleteThank you, Marilyn. My uncle lived in the thumb - you're right. You didn't get all the lake effect. My son said they keep the roads well plowed but he saw some buggies with runners. Good luck
ReplyDeleteThank you and good luck, Jean
ReplyDeleteThank you, Emma
ReplyDeleteI love the books Hilton writes. I love the message of forgiveness that her books have. They are the kind of books you have to share, they are that good. I am going to share this on Facebook and instagram.
ReplyDeletethank you Kelly!!!!
ReplyDeleteOur church library readers love our Amish books, both fiction and non-fiction.
ReplyDeleteThanks for giving me the opportunity to win Laura's book.
Janet E.
von1janet(at)gmail(dot)com
Thanx for the giveaway!!! Laura's books are amazing!!! I love Michigan stories, my home state, tho' I am not a yupper. Now that I live in my husband's native Texas, I am always looking for books about home. We have close friends among the Amish in our area of Eaton County. It was such a joy to see them on my last trip home.
ReplyDeleteSorry, forgot the rest of the instructions! j4hibdon (at) yahoo (dot)com
DeleteAmish books are some of my favorites! mauback55 at gmail dot com
ReplyDeleteThanks for entering, Janet! I love how you promote books.
ReplyDeleteAmish books are so good and this author is wonderful. Would love this book! sonja dot nishimoto at gmail dot com
ReplyDeleteI'm so excited for all the enthusiasm for Laura's latest book! You girls are the best, and it's fun to have a contest in order for one of you to win a copy!
ReplyDeleteThis Yooper would love to win this. I live close to Mackinac Co and although I’m not familiar with any Amish that live there I do know that I’m just the past couple of years we have had some move into the Soo. They have been welcomed with open arms. My email is somi at aol dot com.
ReplyDeletethank you so much, Sonja.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Sherry! I was just up in the Soo and saw the Amish there. There are Amish communities springing up all over in MI! I found out about two I didn't know about this week.
ReplyDeleteWhat an interesting story. Can relate to the fires as we've had several burning right now here in Colorado. Vivian Furbay I subscribe to your blog. jtandviv(at)q(dot)com
ReplyDeleteI'm excited and looking forward to reading this book. I'm from Michigan but haven't been to Mackinac Island or that far north in years. I've enjoyed all of Laura's books so much, and I'm sure this one will be fantastic too.
ReplyDeleteheyjudybat(at)gmail(dot)com
I also am subscribed to your blog.
CONGRATULATIONS, Judith! Your name was randomly selected, and you have won a copy of Fire Storm!
DeleteI'd love to read this book because it's different from other Amish books.
ReplyDeletesusanlulu(at)yahoo(dot)com
This Amish book has a definite twist that sounds very enjoyable. I’d love to read it. I signed up for your blog and shared this post on Facebook.
ReplyDeleteperrianne(DOT)askew(AT)me(DOT)com
Perrianne
I really enjoy reading Amish fiction. Being from Michigan, I like that the book is set in the UP. From your review, I'm sure "Fire Storm" is book I'll enjoy reading.
ReplyDeletediannekc8(at)gmail(dot)com
This sounds like a good story and I would like to read it to see what happens to this couple and her family. Vivian Furbay Signed up for your blog. jtandviv(at)q(dot)com
ReplyDeleteThank you, Vivian, and Judith.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Susan, Perrianne and Dianne.
ReplyDeleteWould love to read this
ReplyDelete