Thursday, October 11, 2018

The Edge of Over There
by Shawn Smucker




Description

The captivating sequel to the award-winning The Day the Angels Fell
Before the Tree of Life, everything in Abra Miller's life had been predictable. But after the Tree and the lightning and the angels, everything felt tenuous, like holding a soap bubble in the palm of her hand. She spent years looking for signs of that other world, waiting for it to break through. When it didn't, her friendship with Sam Chambers grew cold and distant, and they both wondered how any of it could actually have happened.

Four years later, 16-year-old Abra's long-delayed quest to find the next manifestation of the Tree of Life is renewed when she sees a woman walking up the road--a woman who looks exactly like Sam's dead mother. The woman directs her to New Orleans where she will find the grave of Marie Laveau, one of seven gateways between this world and Over There. As Abra enters The Edge of Over There and begins her pursuit of the Tree once more, she doesn't know whom to fear or whom to trust. But she's starting to think that some doorways should never be opened.







Biography

Shawn Smucker is an author and co-writer who lives in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. He followed up his award-winning novel, The Day the Angels Fell, with the sequel, The Edge of Over There. You can find out more about him at his website: http://shawnsmucker.com








My Perspective ~

Exceptional! I read The Day the Angels Fell a few months ago, and was eager to read The Edge of Over There. This tale of spiritual warfare is one of the most creative stories I've read, and I look forward to much more from this talented author! I'm happy I have hardcover copies of these books. They will be passed on to my grandchildren. Don't let the YA label fool you! These books are incredibly fast paced and deeply creative. I'm 70 years old and loved them both! 

The Edge of Over There is an allegorical tale, illustrating the strong forces between good and evil, and the quest for immortality. Characters are strong and unforgettable, and the settings are descriptive and detailed. The imagery the author uses is very creative and poetic. I will be reading these books again. The layers of these two novels are deep, and warrant a second or even third read. Brilliant!


2 comments:

  1. Nice review. I have not read many in that genre. I look forward to finding these books since you have spoken highly of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review. I have not read many in that genre. I look forward to finding these books since you have spoken highly of them.

    ReplyDelete