Saturday, June 1, 2013

Blowing on Dandelions: A Novel (Love Blossoms in Oregon Series) by Miralee Ferrell

5.0 out of 5 stars Sparks Fly!




Book Description

 June 1, 2013
Do Dandelion Wishes Actually Come True?
Katherine Galloway knew this moment of calm wouldn’t last, blown away like the dandelion seeds she scattered as a girl. In 1880, three years after her husband’s death, she struggles to run an Oregon boardinghouse and raise two girls alone. Things don't get easier when her critical, domineering mother moves in. Katherine must make the situation work, but standing up for herself and her family while honoring her mother isn't easy. And with a daughter entering the teenage years, the pressure on Katherine becomes close to overwhelming. Then she crosses paths with Micah Jacobs, a widower who could reignite her heart, but she fears a relationship with him might send things over the edge. She must find the strength, wisdom, hope, and faith to remake her life, for everything is about to change.



Biography

I love life, love my family, love writing and reading and riding, LOL~ did you catch that? Riding my horse, that is, and sailing with my husband, reading other awesome books by Christian authors and puttering in my garden are all ways I relax. I often have my little 6 lb Chihuahua, Lacey, on my lap when I'm working--there's nothing like a warm ball of love on your lap to act as a stress reliever!
First and foremost I'm a child of God and daughter of the King. I've been involved in women's ministries for years, and serve on staff at our small church. I'm married to a wonderful man, have two grown children, two cats, two dogs and an Arabian mare. We live about 9 miles from the nearest town on 11 acres, in a peaceful setting surrounded by trees.
I started writing shortly after I turned 50, and discovered I loved it so much I don't want to stop. I have six books out & a 7th releasing June, 2013, the first in a three-book series. I write both women's contemporary fiction and historical romance. One of my Western romances, Love Finds You in Sundance, WY, was awarded the Will Rogers Medallion for Western Fiction.




My Review ~

In the late 1800s young widow Katherine Galloway is raising two young daughters, and struggling to operate an Oregon boarding house she and her husband originally established. Her harsh, unapproachable and overbearing mother comes to live in the boarding house with ideas of telling her daughter how to run her business and raise her daughters. Blacksmith, Micah Jacobs and his young son are forced to move into the boarding house after fire destroyed their livery and home. As additional boarders come to occupy rooms in the boarding house Katherine's life becomes a whirlwind of activity, and she becomes an intercessor between differing personalities who reside in the house. Sparks fly between residents but Katherine attempts to keep peace and harmony in her home while devoted to being a loving and authoritative mother. Her rapport with her mother is strained at best, but Katherine strives to keep the biblical commandments to honor and respect her parent. A budding romance between Katherine and Jacob brings additional tension to Katherine's relationship with her mother.

Miralee Ferrell has created a diverse and kaleidoscopic slate of characters with contrary and spirited individuals. The blending of these characters creates an abundance of commotion and conflict that propels the story along with no room for boredom. Katherine's sweet nature is peaceable amidst the bristling personalities. The author's approach to relationships between mothers and daughters is honest and realistic. The development of characters and relationships throughout this book are perceptive and polished. Faith, hope and charity are abundant in this well-written novel. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and look forward to more from this creative author.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from Wynn-Wynn Media in exchange for my honest review. All opinions expressed are my own, and no monetary compensation was received for this review.


12 comments:

  1. GREAT review Nancee! Thanks for all you do for your readers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review Nancee! Sounds like a really good book!

    Blessings!
    Judy B

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love historical books so this one sounds really good.

    Thanks for great review Nancee!

    Cathy Weber

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way you write your reviews, Nancee! This one is informative without spoilers. I appreciate that. I hope you're having a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anne! You're so sweet! Reading this weekend!

      Delete
  5. I SO appreciate this review! Well written, informative, honest, and lovely! Exactly what the author of the book hopes for in a review. Blessings, Nancee! Oh, and it released today. Yay!!
    Miralee Ferrell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miralee, thank you for your comments on my review. I'm looking forward to reading more of your work in the future!

      Delete
  6. Wonderful review! I read this book and really enjoyed it.
    Im new to your blog today, and will be signing up for your email newsletters. =)

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review Nancee! Just signed up for your newsletter.

    Blessings,
    Wanda

    ReplyDelete