Saturday, June 1, 2013

Scent of Lilacs by Ann H. Gabhart

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Touching Story!


Book Description:

Before Ann H. Gabhart became well-known for her much-loved Shaker novels, she wrote three poignant novels centered on the loveable Jocie Brooke and her family, who lived in 1960s small-town Kentucky. Once named as one of Booklist's Top Ten Christian Novels and now featuring a brand new cover, Scent of Lilacs is poised to capture the hearts of new readers everywhere. Life-changing events rarely happen here, and when they do, they are few and far between. But for Jocie Brooke and her family, they happen all at once. Jocie has questions that need answers. As she digs into her family's past, she finds a whirlwind of discoveries, and everything begins to change. In the end, will Jocie find the answers everyone so desperately needs, or will her questions lead to truths that were better left uncovered? 

Combining unforgettable characters, true-to-life struggles, and the perfect dose of humor and nostalgia, this riveting story takes readers through the universal experiences of true love, new life, and renewed faith. With a beautiful new cover,Scent of Lilacs is poised to capture the hearts of readers everywhere.



Biography;

Ann H. Gabhart started writing when she was ten and has been writing ever since. Her first published writings were personal experience pieces, youth stories, and poems in church periodicals such as HomeLife. Her first novel, a historical romance about the settling of Kentucky, was published by Warner Books in 1978. Since then, she's published numerous books for both adults and young adults. The Scent of Lilacs, her first inspirational novel, was chosen as one of the Top Ten Books in Christian Fiction in 2006 by Booklist magazine. Her first Shaker book, The Outsider, was a finalist for Christian Fiction Book of the Year in 2009 and was a Top Pick by Romantic Times Book Review Magazine. 

Ann lives on a farm in Kentucky not far from where she was born. She and her husband, Darrell, a bass singer in the Patriot Quartet, have three children and nine grandchildren. Her website is www.annhgabhart.com



My Review ~
This story takes place in small-town Hollyhill, Kentucky during the summer of 1964. Thirteen-year-old Jocie Brooke has two prayers, her dog prayer and her sister prayer. She has always wanted a dog, and she wants her older sister to come home. Her mother and older sister left for California whenJocie was five years old, and Jocie questions her mother's reasons for leaving her and her father. Jocieis bombarded with daily bible verses from her elderly aunt, and her father's friend claims to Jocie that he's from Jupiter, and tells her tales of his adventures on a spaceship.  

Scent of Lilacs is an endearing and timeless story of family dynamics where untold secrets are revealed, and generational parallels surface. Ann Gabhart writes with wonderful insight into this rural community in small-town America. Her characters are realistic and represent an abundance of colorful personalities, from an eccentric "biker" who claims to be from Jupiter, to her elderly great aunt whose forgetfulness is cause for concern.  I discovered I had read the book previously when it was originally published, but it was well worth a second reading. It's a story that warms the heart and restores faith in humanity.


Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from BookFun.org and Revell for my honest review. All opinions expressed are my own, and no monetary compensation was received for this review. Thank you to Fred St Laurent at TBCN and Revell for making this review program possible.

6 comments:

  1. Great review Nancee! I love Ann's books and I have no doubt that someday I will be reading a copy of Scent of Lilacs.

    Blessings!
    Judy B

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved it! The timeframe was during the time I was growing up, so I could relate to events throughout he book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this book! Great review Nancee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancee, I read this book back when it first came out, and it is still one of my very favorites. I think there's two other books in the series . . . I need to read this one again, then finish the series. Thanks for sharing your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize I had read the book before, but once I began reading I recognized the story. It was well worth the second reading, and I too and looking forward to reading the rest of the series! Thanks for your comments!

      Delete