Sunday, December 15, 2013

Shadowed by Grace
A Story of Monuments Men
by Cara C. Putman

5 stars



Description

Shadowed by Grace is a dramatic story inspired by the Monuments Men of World War II by acclaimed author Cara C. Putman. Desperate to save her dying mother, Rachel accepts her newspaper's assignment to travel to Italy to captures images dangerously close to the front lines of WWII. Her real motive - to find the father she never knew -- an artist she hopes can offer the comfort and support both she and her mother need to survive. It's an unlikely situation for love and faith to flourish, but soon Rachel not only finds herself, but also her long-lost earthly father, and ultimately, the man her Heavenly father created to cherish and provide for her.


This book can be purchased at the following locations:





Biography

Cara Putman is an award-winning author with seven World War II homefront books in print. Her minor in history combined with her love of World War II history and the generation that fought then as heroes compel her to take the steps to get the historical details and research right. As a result, her readers have come to expect stories that sweep them back in time while illustrating a facet of the war they didn't know existed. While her prior books have focused on homefront stories, this series will broaden to reach the European theater, without the battlefield scenes one would expect. 

The author can be reached here:

My Review ~

Photojournalist, Rachel Justice achieved authorization to travel to Italy in the throes of World War II with the pretext of catching real-time photographs of the effects of war. Her ultimate goal, however, was to locate her father, a man she had never known. Her passion to find her biological father stemmed back to early childhood when she was looked down upon because her mother was unmarried. The ache to know her earthly father consumed her at this stage of her life, particularly because her mother's health was declining as a result of tuberculosis. Their finances had dwindled to next to nothing and Rachel was certain her father could help.

Rachel's mother had studied art in Italy as a young woman. With that information Rachel was armed with her mother's diary and a notebook of sketches done by an Italian artist whose name she didn't know. The only clues to his identity were his initials. Her mother refused to divulge her father's name, and forbade her to search for him, but Rachel believed that if she could locate him, he could offer financial assistance toward her mother's care and provide her the father figure she craved so much. 

Lieutenant Scott Lindstrom received his assignment as an officer in Monuments, Fine Arts and Archives Division, a division of the army devoted to locating and protecting priceless art and monuments. In Naples his general assigned Scott to accompany Rachel through war-torn areas as she sought newsworthy photographs for publication back in the United States. Scott's mission was to preserve the history of Western Civilization, the masterpieces and sculptures that he could locate. Having a tag-along wasn't his idea of accomplishing his job. The Monuments division followed behind the warring troops, dangerously close to the front lines, their jobs inspecting local monuments, beginning reconstruction and assisting in protecting priceless works of art.

Throughout this wartime novel Rachel observed Scott's strong faith in God even when tragedy was all around them. His prayers were simple and conversational, awakening questions in Rachel's mind about her loss of faith and a heavenly father. This underlying current is beautifully blended into this strong story of war and its casualties, unimaginable scenes of destruction and danger. An incredible amount of research has gone into the writing of this novel. 

Cara Putman has created a masterful novel of classic proportion regarding events throughout Italy during World War II. The development of the characters throughout this poignant story is natural and human, realistic and at times painful. The author has done an outstanding job at creating settings that become visible through her descriptions. I found this book very difficult to put down; however, I did not want to rush through the book. I savored every detail. This is a book that I highly recommend and will read again. 

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from Wynn-Wynn Media in exchange for my honest review. All opinions are my own, and no monetary compensation was received for this review.

12 comments:

  1. This sounds really good, Nancee. Since we both have very similar tastes in books, this one is going on my list of "must reads".
    Thanks for the great review. Ü

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindi, don't miss this book. It's excellent, and one of my favorites!

      Delete
  2. Great review and this sounds like an awesome book! I wonder if my TBR tower would fall over if I added this book! ;-)
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, take a chance! You might want to brace that tower, but this book is worth the topple!

      Delete
  3. Hello Nancee. Thanks for the interview. Seems Cara has some really good-sounding books. I have tried several to win a book by her. Maybe will succeed this time. GOD bless you. MAXIE mac262(at)me(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately I don't have a giveaway copy of this book, but keep on trying, Maxie! I already know that there will be at least one big promotion in early January, and I'm sure there will be several. God bless you too, Maxie!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for having me, Nancee. So glad you enjoyed the book. Still smiling several days after reading it the first time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cara, you truly touched my heart in this book, and I will be reading it again! I'm going to be hounding you for sequels!!!

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing this wonderful review, Nancee! I look forward to reading this book!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Britney, add this one to your must read list. It's very good!

      Delete
  6. Great review Nancee! Looking forward to reading this one!

    Blessings!
    Judy B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy, add this book to your wish list! You will love it! I wish I had the resources to provide each of you with a copy of this book. It really touched me on so many levels.

      Delete