Review & GIVEAWAY!
Herb of Grace
Herb of Grace
A Healing Grace Novel
by Adina Senft
Description
“But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; to another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit.” —I Cor. 12:7–9, KJV
Amish widow Sarah Yoder has been struggling to raise her two teenaged sons and provide a home where family and members of her Old Order Amish church can find fellowship and friendship. Though she is close to her in-laws, lately it feels like her relationship with her boys is splintering. Her stepson Simon wants to move out west to find work. And her youngest, Caleb, is spending far too much time over at the tumbledown home of a man who left the church long ago. Henry Byler only returned recently to Willow Creek when he inherited the family farm—under protest—and now seems caught in a struggle between the faith of his childhood and the world he’s come to know.
Ruth Lehman, the local Dokterfraa, believes Sarah should use her gift for growing plants to become an herbal healer, too. Sarah is reluctant, however, uncertain if caring for others will take her away from her family—the place where she believes God wants her. But when she feels called to help members of her community, she soon discovers that the heart can be scarred as deeply as the body. As she compiles her herbs, she waits for God to do his healing work in a man who rues a harsh decision, in a lonely prodigal who has lost everything, and maybe even in a herbalist-in-training who firmly believes she will never love again.
Purchase at the following locations:
http://www.amazon.com/http://www.barnesandnoble.com/
http://www.christianbook.com/
http://www.deepershopping.com/
Biography
Adina Senft grew up in a plain house church, where she was often asked by outsiders if she was Amish (the answer was no), she made her own clothes, and she perfected the art of the French braid. She holds an M.F.A. in Writing Popular Fiction from Seton Hill University in Pennsylvania, where she teaches as adjunct faculty.
Writing as Shelley Bates, she was the winner of RWA’s RITA Award for Best Inspirational Novel in 2005, a finalist for that award in 2006, and, writing as Shelley Adina, was a Christy Award finalist in 2009. Three of her books have shortlisted for the American Christian Fiction Writers’ Carol Award for book of the year. Of her fiction, publisher and industry blogger W. Terry Whalin has said, “Readers will be lost in the vivid world that [she] paints with incredible detail and masterful storytelling.”
A transplanted Canadian, Adina returns there annually to have her accent calibrated. Between books, she enjoys traveling with her husband, playing the piano and Celtic harp, and spoiling her flock of rescued chickens. These days, she makes period costumes and only puts up her hair for historical events and fun.
https://www.facebook.com/shelley.adina?fref=ts
My Review ~
"Herb of Grace" is penned with poetic license. Descriptive, pictorial and expressive, this Amish novel by Adina Senft is a favorite. The characters throughout this novel show strength, sensitivity and commitment through their personalities and actions. Family, faith and devotion are very strong features in this beautifully composed story of an Amish woman, her dreams and relationships, and a former Amish man who has returned to his family's roots. Challenges ensue in the lives of the characters whose stories lie within the pages of this book, and the underlying echoes of faith, conscience and strong convictions are portrayed with substance and integrity.
Contained in "Herb of Grace" are beautiful expressions so poetic that I found myself marking places throughout the book to reread just for the beauty of the description. Example: "She tipped her head back to watch the new leaves combing the last trailing skeins of mist the way a woman might run her fingers through her hair." I will be rereading this book, not only for its strength in plot and character, but for the poetic beauty contained within. I highly recommend "Herb of Grace!"
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from Hachette Book Group in exchange for my honest review. All opinions expressed are my own, and no monetary compensation was received for this review.
CONTEST GUIDELINES: Please leave a comment and your email address using [at] and [dot] to protect your email address. Giveaways are limited to residents of the continental US only, please. I am not responsible for loss or damage through the postal service. Winners have one week to claim their prizes. Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I appreciate all of your comments!
Optional: For additional chances to win this giveaway, share this contest through either Twitter or Facebook, and sign up to follow my blog. Please let me know what you did for extra chances to win. Deadline for this giveaway is: Tuesday, August 12, 2014.


This is definitely a book I really want to read. I have been watching it lately and hoping I would have a chance to read this. It looks like a really nice story. sonja dot nishimoto at gmail dot com
ReplyDeleteYou description of the expressions just adds to my hope to read this!
I have been waiting for this book to come out - love all of her books. Rachel Lepree rlepree(at)musfiber(dot)com
ReplyDeleteWould love to win! This is a new author to me and I'm always looking for new authors to read! Thanks for the chance!
ReplyDeleteI would love to read this book especially in poetic of an amish surroundings.
ReplyDeletejls345@att.net
I read your great review on Goodreads this morning and I knew I wanted to read this book. It is going on my list that's for sure!
ReplyDeleteBlessings!
Judy B
judyjohn2004(at)yahoo(dot)com
Nancee, I have tears in my eyes from this lovely review. Thank you so much! ((hugs))
ReplyDeleteAdina, you're very welcome. Awe-inspiring writing deserves high praise, and you are a very gifted author!
DeleteWonderful review. I would love to add this book to my collection. Sounds like a very interesting read. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteI have been wanting to read this book from the first time I saw it. Thank you for the review. It just makes me want to read it even more. Thank you for this chance to win a copy. lisastifler(at)yahoo(dot)com
ReplyDeleteI tweeted and shared on fb. I also receive your blog.
I've not heard of this author before now. Thanks for sharing this book and your thoughts on it. Sounds like you'll be reading more by Adina. Ü Because you and I have very similar tastes in reading, I'll be grabbing a copy of Herb of Grace, if I don't win here.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your great review, Nancee.
cindialtman(at)gmail(dot)com
HAVEN'T HEARD OF THIS AUTHOR. BUT YOU MAKE ME WANT TO WIN AND READ THIS BOOK.
ReplyDeleteI would love to read this, Nancee!! It really sounds wonderful! I am a blog follower!
ReplyDeleteshared on facebook, Nancee
ReplyDeleteLooks like a wonderful read. Will like and share on Facebook.
ReplyDeleteI am posting this entry for the contest for Kelly. She is unable to post comments on the blog.
ReplyDeleteKelly Reed Brown Wonderful review!! I look forward to reading this book! I am especially excited to witness the poetic writing examples! Please enter me in your giveaway! billnkellybrown(at)sbcglobal(dot)net
REMINDER: Please leave your email address so that I have a way to contact you in case you are the winner of this book. I don't have the extra time to track people down. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteHello Nancee. Hope things are going well for you. You have made this book sound so good. And, of course I want it. Thanks for the give-away. Maxie > mac262(at)me(dot)com <
ReplyDeleteNancee, I forgot to say I shared this on my Facebook page, and I am a follower of yours. Maxie > mac262(at)me(dot)com
DeleteWhat a wonderful title. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I would love to win.
ReplyDeleteThis book sounds great. I would live to win a copy. This is a new author to me, going to have to check out her other books. donnaeharmon(at)yahoo(dot)com
ReplyDeleteI haven't been on for eight days as I had no internet. Would love to win this, TY for the chance.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry I left out my email.
ReplyDeleteleliamae54(at)netscape(dot)net
What a lovely review, Nancee! I look forward to reading this beautiful story!
ReplyDeletetexaggs2000 at gmail dot com
Another fabulous review, Nancee! I'm looking forward to reading this book. You know I love Amish fiction :)
ReplyDeleteExcellent review Nancy!
ReplyDeleteWould so love to win Herb of Grace!
Sounds like an excellent read!
CherylB1987 AT Hotmail DOT com
Can't wait to get my hands on this book. It sounds great. It would be awesome to win a copy.
ReplyDeleteI would love to have a chance to win this book. Thanks for the review, either way its on my list to read.
ReplyDeletesweeps4us at gmail dot com
I would love to read this book!
ReplyDeleteSounds like a great book. Adding it to my wish list.
ReplyDeletekmgervais(at)nycap(dot)rr(dot)com
Mary Keppel: Would not let me into the website , I would love to enter. Help.
ReplyDeleteEntry for Mary.
Would love to win and read this book. Great review.
ReplyDelete