Sunday, December 28, 2014

"Paint Chips"
by Susie Finkbeiner
Review & GIVEAWAY!


5.0 out of 5 stars A journey through healing & redemption

What lies beneath the layers of hurt?

Though haunted by her troubled past, Dot has found a safe haven. She has a fierce protector and a colorful collection of friends...but sometimes she wonders if her life will ever be normal again. Though college and romance await her, embracing them requires a new kind of strength--one she isn't sure she has.

Emerging from years of confusion, Cora struggles to latch hold of the sanity she needs to return to the real world. She yearns to find a place of peace...but first she must deal with the ghosts of her past.

Can this mother and daughter overcome abuse, betrayal, abandonment, and the horrors of sexual trafficking, and make it back into each others arms?

Facing the past is never easy. But as they chip away the layers, they might just find something beautiful beneath the mess.

Available now on AmazonBarnes & Noble, and
Baker Book House in Grand Rapids, Michigan


Biography

Susie Finkbeiner is a novelist from West Michigan. Her first novel "Paint Chips" released in 2013 and her second novel "My Mother's Chamomile" in  2014. She worked with WhiteFire Publishing on both novels. 

Susie's third novel "A Cup of Dust" will release Fall, 2015 with Kregel Publications.

Susie is a wife, mother of three, and avid reader. She enjoys time with her family, coffee dates with her good friends, and quiet moments to read and write.

Susie Finkbeiner is represented by Ann Byle from Credo Communications. 

Susie can be reached at her website: http://www.susiefinkbeiner.com/ and Facebook @ https://www.facebook.com/pages/Author-Susie-Finkbeiner/191087155015?sk=timeline

My Review ~

"Paint Chips" reveals the painful life stories of three women whose lives were very nearly destroyed as young children. Their stories are interwoven in a remarkable manner, each sharing a common thread. Abuse is no stranger to these women as their childhood lives were brutally torn from them, innocence and youth destroyed. These atrocities are all too common in our society, emotional, verbal, physical and sexual abuse. As the stories of these three women unfold realism becomes so profoundly cruel that you'll never see life the same way again. The atrocities of what these women suffered are happening all around us, in the slums, in the suburbs, in our own backyards, even here in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Due to the risk of spoilers I am not going into further detail regarding a description of this book.

Susie Finkbeiner has researched a very difficult topic, sex trafficking in all its basal forms, how it begins, where it is found, how it travels, the effects of this ever-growing cancer in our society. This is a Christian reality fiction story that you need to read for yourself. The author is very careful in not becoming graphic in her descriptions of the abuses that occur throughout this story. Openness and honesty are at the core of this difficult tale told with compassion that encompasses the lives described throughout "Paint Chips," and those who reach out to help them. When I took "Paint Chips" off the shelf I knew I was in for a ride into the dark side of life, but I found the hand of God within the pages of this book. At times I felt I couldn't read fast enough, and then I had to stop, lay the book aside, and process the images that raced through my mind. 

The author is very gifted at painting a realistic portrait of life at ground level. Mental images created through her descriptive talents revealed authentic impressions of the various locations throughout the book. The inhumanity of life in its most barbarous form is revealed in a very tasteful and sensitive manner. The brutal honesty in "Paint Chips" occurs in every community, today, tonight, tomorrow and until our society puts a stop to the practice. 

Pick up a copy of this book and educate yourself to the activities going on around you, and take a stand to help cure this cancer of the human spirit. I highly recommend this book, particularly to those who work with children. You could be the one to identify an issue that may be happening to a child in your life.

Disclaimer: I purchased a copy of this book for my own reading pleasure, with no expectations from the author or publisher to write a review. All opinions expressed are my own, and no monetary compensation was received for this review.

CONTEST GUIDELINES: Please leave a comment and your email address using [at] and [dot] to protect your email address. Giveaways are limited to residents of the continental US only, please. I am not responsible for loss or damage through the postal service. Winners have one week to claim their prizes. Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I appreciate all of your comments!


Optional: For additional chances to win this giveaway, share this contest through either Twitter or Facebook, and sign up to follow my blog. Please let me know what you did for extra chances to win. Deadline for this giveaway is Monday, January 5, 2015.


39 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this, Nancee! I feel encouraged and blessed by this review. You are dear and such an ally of writers and readers. I truly appreciate you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome, Susie. It's important to support and promote authors. People won't know about great reading unless we share!

      Delete
  2. What a sad situation, but how true it is. sonja dot nishimoto at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is sad. Fortunately, we have a powerful God who does care and gives us hope.

      Thanks for commenting. I hope you have a blessed New Year!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a tough subject to read, but we can't turn deaf ears to what goes on in the world. TY, Nancee for the chance to win. Have a Happy and blessed New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucy, I'm so thankful that you won't turn a deaf ear. It's people who are willing to look into the hard truth who make a difference in their prayers. Happy New Year to you!

      Delete
  4. Would love the chance to read this book. Thanks for the chance. I grew in Michigan, born in Detroit and then later in years moved to Livonia and Westland. Now we live in Florida. Thanks for this article sounds emotional but encouraging also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn, nice to hear from an East Side Michigander!

      I'm glad that you picked up on how the book can be encouraging. That was my hope in writing the book.

      I hope you have a wonderful New Year!

      Delete
  5. I would absolutely love this book in paperback! I too am an avid reader of all genres of books. Congrats Susie Finkbeiner! I can't wait to read all of your books! Michelle
    rainers20 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Michelle! I love that you're an avid reader. That's awesome.

      Have a great New Year!

      Delete
  6. I am intrigued by this book and would love to read it. Thank you for the opportunity.

    mauback55 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Melanie. I would love for you to read it, too. I hope you have a Happy New Year!

      Delete
  7. I'm so pleased to see all of the interest and positive comments regarding "Paint Chips." This book demonstrates that there is hope in our broken world, and Susie was obviously inspired by God in writing this profound and inspiring book. God bless those of you who visit my blog, and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to read this book! I'm currently helping out a friend through a domestic violence case that touches on trafficking. I've been reading everything I can get my hands on (non-fiction) to educate myself about her situation and about any abuse done against women. In doing so, I've learned a lot about the abuse that I have lived through and hadn't even realized it. God's grace has freed me from a lot of the guilt and shame I used to carry. Now I'd love to see women be free in mind, spirit and body too! This would be an interesting way to see this topic from a different perspective. Thank you for the chance to win! taylorgal2002(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting my blog and telling your story. "Paint Chips" is a fictional portrayal of sexual trafficking, but written in such a realistic manner that I'm sure you would enjoy it. The author has done a great deal of research of her subject matter, and her writing reveals truth and honesty in a very sensitive manner regarding this subject. I think that you would enjoy reading Susie's book.

      Delete
    2. It sounds to me like your friend is very blessed to have you. Thank you for standing with her. If you need support, I'd love to encourage you to contact the National Human Trafficking Hotline. They answer the phone 24/7 to answer questions, give support, and offer advice. The number is 1-888-373-7888. They are always very glad to have people call in. Also, you can find more information on the Polaris Project website. http://www.polarisproject.org/

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a powerful story! TY Nancee and Susie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nancee, I know I have too many books clamoring for my attention, but I'm just naturally drawn to stories that focus on social issues.

    Susie, it looks like this is a challenging and extremely relevant book, a story written from your heart, and I'm eager to read it. A few years ago, a lady in our church started a ministry that reaches out to girls/ladies in the Atlanta area who are caught up in the sex trafficking trade and it has really grown. I'm fascinated by the topics you write about and would love to review and help promote it. Thanks for the opportunity to secure a copy.
    cjarvis [at] bellsouth [dot] net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole, if you don't happen to win a copy of "Paint Chips," by all means pick up a copy. It's spiritually moving!

      Delete
    2. Carole, I'm so glad to hear that your church is part of helping women and girls caught up in trafficking! That's Micah 6:8 living for sure!

      Delete
  11. Another book that sounds interesting. I would love to read this book. padt73 [at] hotmail [dot] come

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, this is a life-changing book. Education is a powerful thing, and this is one area that many choose to ignore. Susie has done a fabulous job of writing a very compelling story of human trafficking.

      Delete
  12. Great lead in to this story, I'm interested ! would love to read this..
    dkstevensne AT outlook DotCOm

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds very interesting. I have a young friend who is an intern with FREE International.
    jarning67athotmaildotcom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Joan! It's great that your friend is working with such a wonderful organization!

      Delete
  14. I would not have found this book or author without your introduction here. Thank you, Nancee! These topics and the consequences in the lives harmed are so important. We cannot stick our heads in the sand. I look forward to reading and reviewing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sharon! I'm so glad to have been found. :) I am so pleased that you don't believe in sticking your head in the sand! We need many more like you!

      Delete
  15. I forgot to include my email address!

    sh2rose(at)cox(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon, thanks for adding your email addresss. I always feel badly for people who forget. There's no way for me to get in touch with them if their name should be drawn.

      Delete
  16. Oh my, this book sounds so interesting and powerful. Great review, Nancee. Knowing that you really enjoyed it makes me feel that I will too, since we seem to have the same taste in books.

    cindialtman(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindi, without a doubt, you would really enjoy this book! Thanks for reading my review and entering the contest!

      Delete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looking forward to reading this story. Twiggj118atyahoodotcom

    ReplyDelete