"The Love Letters"
by
Beverly Lewis
***** Deeply Touching!
Description
Marlena Wenger's life takes an unexpected turn on the day she learns she must care for her estranged sister's baby. Spending the summer in Brownstown, Pennsylvania, to assist her Mennonite grandmother, and miles from Marlena's Old Order Amish beau, she feels out of her element in nearly every respect. Yet Marlena determines to do her best and stay focused on her future, even as those hopes become drastically altered.
Biography
Beverly Lewis, born in the heart of Pennsylvania Dutch country, is the New York Times bestselling author of more than ninety books. Her stories have been published in eleven languages worldwide. A keen interest in her mother's Plain heritage has inspired Beverly to write many Amish-related novels, beginning with The Shunning, which has sold more than one million copies and is an Original Hallmark Channel movie. In 2007, The Brethren was honored with a Christy Award.
Beverly has been interviewed by both national and international media, including Timemagazine, the Associated Press, and the BBC. She lives with her husband, David, in Colorado.
Visit her website at www.beverlylewis.com or www.facebook.com/officialbeverlylewis for more information.
My Thoughts ~
The lives of two families become intertwined through difficult, life-changing circumstances. Marlena is Old Order Amish, but influenced by her Mennonite grandmother's more liberal beliefs. Her grandmother's neighbors, the Bitners, are Old Order Amish and maintain their strict ways. Numerous levels of Amish and Mennonite beliefs are revealed in this poignant story, as well as troubled relationships and tragedy.
Several serious topics are broached throughout this heartrending story, involving death, severe memory loss, autism, marital discord, religious differences, broken relationships and fear of impending loss. Beverly Lewis has woven these issues into a gripping tale that continues to build as the story progresses. I was engrossed in this beautifully told story of the lives of some very special characters who truly touched my heart.
Characters became real people as this story progressed. Their challenges and experiences are relatable and believable, and I grew to love them all for their very special personalities. This is by far my favorite of Beverly Lewis' books. I felt that the depth of story was by far beyond past books. The blending of the lives of these characters and how they impacted one another is praiseworthy. I loved the book and highly recommend it!
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from Bethany House in exchange for my honest review. All opinions expressed are my own, and no monetary compensation was received for this review.
Beverly has been interviewed by both national and international media, including Timemagazine, the Associated Press, and the BBC. She lives with her husband, David, in Colorado.
Visit her website at www.beverlylewis.com or www.facebook.com/officialbeverlylewis for more information.
My Thoughts ~
The lives of two families become intertwined through difficult, life-changing circumstances. Marlena is Old Order Amish, but influenced by her Mennonite grandmother's more liberal beliefs. Her grandmother's neighbors, the Bitners, are Old Order Amish and maintain their strict ways. Numerous levels of Amish and Mennonite beliefs are revealed in this poignant story, as well as troubled relationships and tragedy.
Several serious topics are broached throughout this heartrending story, involving death, severe memory loss, autism, marital discord, religious differences, broken relationships and fear of impending loss. Beverly Lewis has woven these issues into a gripping tale that continues to build as the story progresses. I was engrossed in this beautifully told story of the lives of some very special characters who truly touched my heart.
Characters became real people as this story progressed. Their challenges and experiences are relatable and believable, and I grew to love them all for their very special personalities. This is by far my favorite of Beverly Lewis' books. I felt that the depth of story was by far beyond past books. The blending of the lives of these characters and how they impacted one another is praiseworthy. I loved the book and highly recommend it!
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from Bethany House in exchange for my honest review. All opinions expressed are my own, and no monetary compensation was received for this review.


This book sounds wonderful and a must read. Thank you for sharing.
ReplyDeleteBlessings
Thanks for sharing your great review. This book sounds really good.
ReplyDeleteGreat review Nancee!!! Sound like a book I need to read!!!
ReplyDeleteThank you, friends! I think you would all enjoy this book. It has something for everyone, and definitely one of Beverly Lewis' finest!
ReplyDelete