Monday, June 15, 2015

"Once Upon A Summertime"
(A New York City Romance #1)
by Melody Carlson
GIVEAWAY!


Description

She’s looking for her big break. She never imagined it would depend on a blast from her past.


Managing the Value Lodge in her hometown was not what Anna Gordon had in mind when she set out in the hospitality industry. But it’s a safe choice for a young woman starting out her career.


Then, out of the blue, she gets the opportunity of a lifetime: a chance to reinvent herself and reinvigorate her career by moving to New York City. She applies for a management position at the stylish new Rothsberg hotel. But the city is full of surprises—not the least of which is discovering that Sean O’Neil, a once-upon-a-time crush, has applied for the very same position.


This sweetly romantic tale of dreams come true takes you through the storied streets of New York City—and into the depths of the human heart.



Purchase here:
http://www.amazon.com
http://www.barnesandnoble.com
http://www.christianbook.com
http://www.deepershopping.com



Biography

Melody Carlson has written more than 200 books (with sales around 6.5 million) for teens, women and children. That's a lot of books, but mostly she considers herself a "storyteller." Her novels range from serious issues like schizophrenia (Finding Alice) to lighter topics like house-flipping (A Mile in My Flip-Flops) but most of the inspiration behind her fiction comes right out of real life. Her young adult novels (Diary of a Teenage Girl, TrueColors etc.) appeal to teenage girls around the world. Her annual Christmas novellas become more popular each year. She's won a number of awards (including Romantic Time's Career Achievement Award, the Rita and the Gold Medallion) and some of her books have been optioned for film/TV. Carlson has two grown sons and makes her home in the Pacific Northwest with her husband and yellow Lab dog. To find out more about Melody Carlson, visit her website at http://www.melodycarlson.com/
https://www.facebook.com/melodycarlsonauthor?fref=ts


My Thoughts ~

Anna Gordon is ready for a change. She spent two dead end years after receiving her degree managing the small-town Value Lodge, and sleeping on her grandmother's sofa. An opportunity to work for a high-end boutique hotel in New York City becomes available, and Anna is ready for the challenge. A childhood friend of sorts becomes her coworker, and the two are off to see the city and prepare to manage the best hotel in the Big Apple.

A sweet and ambitious tale of young people and new beginnings may appeal to the younger crowd, late teens, early 20s. I found it a bit overdone. Anna is an innocent character, and her counterpart, Sean O'Neil is rather imposing, yet in fictitious New York City anything is possible. Numerous characters are introduced into the story, but I was able to follow. 

The story was flowing along, and then suddenly dropped. Dead end. End of story. As I came closer to the end of the book I was concerned about which direction this story was going. In a word, nowhere. The book is descriptive, architectural detailing was well done, but the story just fell flat. This may be a good beach read for those who enjoy light reading, but be prepared for an abrupt ending. 

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the publisher through Wynn-Wynn Media in exchange for my honest review. All expressed opinions are my own, and no monetary compensation was received for this review.

CONTEST GUIDELINES: Please leave a comment and your email address using [at] and [dot] to protect your email address. Giveaways are limited to residents of the continental US only, please. I am not responsible for loss or damage through the postal service. Winners have one week to claim their prizes. Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I appreciate all of your comments!

Optional: For additional chances to win this giveaway, share this contest through either Twitter or Facebook, and sign up to follow my blog. Please let me know what you did for extra chances to win. Deadline for this giveaway is Monday, June 22, 2015.


19 comments:

  1. I have read so many great things about this book. I would love to read it!

    mauback55 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. ONCE UPON A SUMMERTIME is a book I can relate too! I would love to re-invent myself. I look forward to reading how Anna achieves this goal.

    psalm103and138[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would enjoy reading this sweet romance . .
    dkstevensne AToutlook(DOt) CoM

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would be so glad to win this interesting book.
    Joan Collins

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is my e-mail JoanEC128[at]aol[dot]com

      Delete
  5. Reading books with these themes are always captivating.
    Marion Collins

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is my e-mail MarionMPC[at]AOL[dot]com

      Delete
  6. I would love to win this book.
    Marilyn
    MarilynDKC[at]AOL[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! Thanks so much for the giveaway! My email is aheartsurrendered(at)gmail(dot)com.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always thought the hospitality industry would be and interesting field to work in! Would love to read Anna's story.

    I follow the blog via e-mail.

    pattymh2000(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nancee, I shared on facebook and twitter. This looks like an intriguing book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun author Melody Carlson is. I would love to have the opportunity to read this.
    I shared on Twitter.
    I shared on facebook.
    I follow your blog.
    Thank you for the giveaway opportunity !
    Deanne Patterson
    Cnnamongirl at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a spot waiting on my bookshelf.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I look forward to reading this. TY for the chance.
    leliamae54(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much for the giveaway! God bless!

    writer_weaverATyahooDOTcom

    ReplyDelete
  14. One of my favorite authors!
    Ember99(at)hotmail(dot)com
    Marsha

    ReplyDelete
  15. CONGRATULATIONS, Cara! You have won a copy of Once Upon A Summertime by Melody Carlson! Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete