Thursday, October 29, 2015

"A Cup of Dust"
(A Novel of the Dust Bowl)
by Susie Finkbeiner
5+ stars 



Description

Where you come from isn't who you are.

Ten-year-old Pearl Spence is a daydreamer, playing make-believe to escape life in Oklahoma’s Dust Bowl in 1935. The Spences have their share of misfortune, but as the sheriff’s family, they’ve got more than most in this dry, desolate place. They’re who the town turns to when there’s a crisis or a need―and during these desperate times, there are plenty of both, even if half the town stands empty as people have packed up and moved on.

Pearl is proud of her loving, strong family, though she often wearies of tracking down her mentally impaired older sister or wrestling with her grandmother’s unshakable belief in a God who Pearl just isn’t sure she likes.

Then a mysterious man bent on revenge tramps into her town of Red River. Eddie is dangerous and he seems fixated on Pearl. When he reveals why he’s really there and shares a shocking secret involving the whole town, dust won’t be the only thing darkening Pearl’s world. 





Purchase at the following locations:
http://www.amazon.com
http://www.barnesandnoble.com
http://www.christianbook.com
http://www.deepershopping.com


Biography

Susie Finkbeiner is a novelist and short story writer from West Michigan. Her first novel PAINT CHIPS released in 2013 and her second novel MY MOTHER'S CHAMOMILE in 2014. She worked with WhiteFire Publishing on both novels.

Her third novel A CUP OF DUST is set to release in 2015 with Kregel Publications.

Susie is a wife, mother of three, and avid reader. She enjoys time with her family, coffee dates with her good friends, and quiet moments to read and write.

Find her at www.susiefinkbeiner.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Author-Susie-Finkbeiner-191087155015/timeline/



My Thoughts ~

Without a doubt, A Cup of Dust is one of the most captivating and impressive reality-based novels I have read to date. This is a story to be absorbed. Pearl's journey is thought-provoking and gripping, a heartrending and emotional journey through oppressive conditions caused by relentless, merciless dust. The author has researched her topic thoroughly, and weaves a haunting tale of Pearl's youth and the atrocities that she witnessed and experienced. The realities of the Oklahoma's Dust Bowl were oppressive and grievous.

Detailed and pictorial depictions revealed the enormity of the conditions in that area, where the earth was depleted and the rains never came. The dust ultimately took the lives of many, and caused others an unending fight for life. Pearl and her family exemplify the strength of the human spirit through events I can't imagine. Atrocities invaded Pearl's worst nightmares, as well as the barbarities that affected her youth and innocence. 

Character portrayals are described in depth with a familiarity and sensitivity that is tangible. I loved Pearl from the very beginning, and heard her voice throughout this extraordinarily touching novel.

A Cup of Dust is written with passion and eloquence, mature attributes of this young author. I will undoubtedly read it again. It is a novel of epic proportion. Thought provoking and intense, you'll want to slowly absorb Pearl's story. I couldn't begin reading another book until my mind finished processing the intensity of this composition.

FYI: There is some violence depicted in this book that may offend some readers; however, this is reality fiction and without those scenes the story would not be complete.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from Kregel Publications in exchange for my honest review. All expressed opinions are my own, and no monetary compensation was received for this review.

CONTEST GUIDELINES: Please leave a comment and your email address using [at] and [dot] to protect your email address. Giveaways are limited to residents of the continental US only, please. I am not responsible for loss or damage through the postal service. Winners have one week to claim their prizes. Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I appreciate all of your comments!

Optional: For additional chances to win this giveaway, share this contest through either Twitter or Facebook, and sign up to follow my blog. Please let me know what you did for extra chances to win. Deadline for this giveaway is Wednesday, November 4, 2015.


36 comments:

  1. Hi Nancee, great review. I'm looking forward to reading about Pearl. I will share this on Twitter and Facebook. Thanks!

    FB: Annie JC
    justcommonly [at] gmail[dot] com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nancee, I enjoyed your review. This is a new author for me. I haven't heard of her or her books. They sound great. My email is sunydey26 at aol dot com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the review Nancee.
    I want to read this book.
    carolynj67@att.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Nancee !!!! Great review !!! I want to read this book, you have me hooked !!!! please enter me in the contest . I have shared your email . Rosemary rfoley at salemstate dot edu

    ReplyDelete
  5. A Cup of Dust is on my wish list, and your beautiful review makes me want to read it even more!! Thanks so much for the giveaway opportunity, Nancee.

    I am a blog follower.
    texaggs2000 at gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great read.Thanks for the giveaway

    MarionMPC[at]aol[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this great giveaway. This book looks so exciting and interesting.

    JoanEC128[at]aol[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an exciting book to read. Thanks for this giveaway.

    MarilynDKC[at]aol[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking forward to reading this book. I've looked for it at my libraries and they are not getting this one. Would love a chance to win a copy. Thank you for the review and the giveaway.
    kmgervais(at)nycap(dot)rr(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nancee, thank you for the beautiful review! A CUP OF DUST sounds amazing!

    I follow your blog and shared giveaway on facebook.
    psalm103and138 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CONGRATULATIONS, CARYL! You were selected as winner of a copy of A Cup of Dust from Author, Susie Finkbeiner. Please thank the author for her kind donation of this book, and Happy Reading!

      Delete
    2. Congrats, Caryl! I heard it is a great book!

      Delete
  11. You ladies make me so happy! Thank you all for the wonderful comments. You will LOVE Susie's book, all of them, in fact! If you don't happen to be the winner in my contest, please find a copy of this book, Paint Chips and My Mother's Chamomile. These books are unforgettable and will touch your heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweet Nancee for once again being such an encouragement to me! You're one of my very favorites!

      Delete
    2. Susie, it is what it is! You are a fabulous author and deserve credit where credit is due! I'm proud to be on your team!

      Delete
  12. This one sounds great! Thank you for the giveaway!

    mauback55 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not familiar with Susie's writing, but this sounds like a powerful story.

    I follow the blog via e-mail...

    pattymh2000(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  14. A Cup of Dust sounds like an interesting book. I really appreciate your review. It gives me a good perspective on the type of book it is. Thank you. I shared on my Pinterest giveaway board. I am a follower :)
    may_dayzee(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had heard about this book on a different blog and it was thought very highly of. Now I want to read it even more! I love that it takes place during a time period not often written about.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have been hearing great reviews about this book. I am looking forward to reading it. If I win a copy, that will be great. If I don't, I will be getting it. Great review, Nancee! Your reviews are worded so well.

    I shared this on FB.
    I am also a follower of your blog.

    Blessings!
    Judy B judyjohn2004(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am looking forward to reading this book! I have heard great things and now this great review. martha(at)lclink(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm looking forward to reading this book - loved her other two books. She's coming to visit our book club in May and we're all looking forward to that as well!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the interview,would love to read about Pearl and about the dust bowl,will look for her other books.Thank you
    Elmamc56atyahoodotcom

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the interview,would love to read about Pearl and about the dust bowl,will look for her other books.Thank you
    Elmamc56atyahoodotcom

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks like a great book. Thanks! grams57[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  22. This book looks so good. Enjoyed the review. Thank you for the chance. I subscribe to your blog, Nancee.
    leliamae54(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nancee, I enjoyed your review on A cup of dust. My grandparents lived during those years. I would like to read this too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Linda is unable to comment on my blog for some unknown reason, so I am entering her comment for her.
    Linda Zaragoza-Zrubek

    Hi Nancee, once again I tried to leave a post on your blog where you let a review for this book. It didn't work...lol anyway....would you please enter me in this contest! zrubek@cox.net

    Thank you, Linda Zrubek

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sounds like a great read. I hope the library has it. Thank you for the opportunity to win a copy.
    msbookwormlady(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete