"Lead Me Home"
by Amy K. Sorrells
Description
Amid open fields and empty pews, small towns
can crush big dreams. Abandoned by his no-good father and forced to grow
up too soon, Noble Burden has set his dreams aside to run the family
farm. Meanwhile, James Horton, the pastor of the local church, questions
his own calling as he prepares to close the doors for good. As a severe
storm rolls through, threatening their community and very livelihood,
both men fear losing what they care about most . . . and reconsider
where they truly belong.
Biography
Amy is an award-winning
author and occasional poet writing words of hope for a hurting world.
Amy got her start in journalism, has written for medical publications,
and enjoyed a three year stint as a weekly op-ed columnist for her town
newspaper. A graduate of DePauw University, Amy lives with her husband
and three sons in central Indiana.
My Thoughts ~
I found the premise of this story very familiar, having grown up in the country, surrounded by small farms and small churches. Life was tough and the farm work long and arduous. Nonetheless, farmers and their families persevered through numerous hard times. I loved the realism portrayed in Lead Me Home. This book is honest, earthy and not sugarcoated. It represents what farm families did with what they had.
The characters are depicted as typical, rural people. Every type of individual is portrayed authentically, and there were some real "characters!" The Burden family is to be cherished for their honest and realistic presence. Family loyalty is presented in a very sensitive, loving and admirable approach.
Reverend James Horton lost his wife in a tragic auto accident, and was left to single-handedly raise his daughter, Shelby. Teenage issues leave James shaking his head and wondering what he could do better. At the same time his congregation has dwindled down to a handful of congregants, and the future of his church is hanging in the balance.
I enjoyed this down-t0-earth, honest book even though at times it moved somewhat slowly. At times I wondered when the pace would pick up. I look back now and realize how much I enjoyed that pace that represents the issues in the book. Relax with a copy of this book. It's a wonderful taste of reality.
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from The Book Club Network's For Readers Only program in exchange for my honest review. All expressed opinions are my own, and no monetary compensation was received for this review.
CONTEST GUIDELINES: Please
leave a comment and your email address using [at] and [dot] to protect
your email address. Giveaways are limited to residents of the
continental US only, please. I am not responsible for loss or damage
through the postal service. Winners have one week to claim their
prizes. Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I appreciate all of your comments!


Having been a small town girl in a mostly farm environment, I think I might really enjoy reading about this. sonja dot nishimoto at gmail dot com
ReplyDeleteI live in a very small community. Farm work is very hard and it is very hard to get a preacher to stay in our small church. I would love to read this story. fishingjan[at]aol[dot]com
ReplyDeleteI grew up in a small town, moved to a small town when I married and will always choose to live in a small town. I would love to read this one. Thank you fir the opportunity. mauback55 at gmail dot com
ReplyDeleteI grew up in a small town, moved to a small town when I married and will always choose to live in a small town. I would love to read this one. Thank you fir the opportunity. mauback55 at gmail dot com
ReplyDeleteSounds great. Thank you for the chance. I'm a rural girl surrounded by farms. I raise chickens.
ReplyDeleteleliamae54@aol.com
My husband and I live in a small rural community ~ restful and peaceful. Thank you for your review, Nancee. Please add me to win this story. Kathleen ~ Lane Hill House lanehillhouse[at]centurylink[dot]net
ReplyDeleteshared on twitter: https://twitter.com/LaneHillHouse/status/757409192357400585 and on my Facebook news page. I follow your blog receiving an e-mail when you post.
CONGRATULATIONS! Your name was randomly selected from the entries in this contest. You have won a copy of Lead Me Home! Happy Reading!
DeleteThis book sounds interesting.Thanks for the review.jackie_tessnair(at)yahoo(dot)com
ReplyDeleteThis book sounds interesting.Thanks for the review.jackie_tessnair(at)yahoo(dot)com
ReplyDeleteThank you for the giveaway.
ReplyDeleteJoan
JoanEC128(at)aol(dot)com
Nice giveaway.
ReplyDeleteThanks
Marion
MarionMPC(at)aol(dot)com
I've always wanted to live in a small town. This story sounds like a good idea of what it's like to live in a small town. Looks like a great read.
ReplyDeletediannekc8(at)gmail(dot)com
I've always wanted to live in a small town. This story sounds like a good idea of what it's like to live in a small town. Looks like a great read.
ReplyDeletediannekc8(at)gmail(dot)com
Thank you for this great giveaway.
ReplyDeleteMarilyn
MarilynDKC[at]AOL[dot]com
This book sounds lovely! Thanks for hosting the giveaway. alison (dot) louise (at) gmail (dot) com
ReplyDeleteSounds great. Would love to read it
ReplyDeletequickchangeus@yahoo.com