Saturday, June 16, 2018

The Day The Angels Fell
by Shawn Smucker



Description

It was the summer of storms and strays and strangers. The summer that lightning struck the big oak tree in the front yard. The summer his mother died in a tragic accident. As he recalls the tumultuous events that launched a surprising journey, Samuel can still hardly believe it all happened.

After his mother's death, twelve-year-old Samuel Chambers would do anything to bring her back. Prompted by three strange carnival fortune-tellers and the surfacing of his mysterious and reclusive neighbor, Sam begins his search for the Tree of Life--the only thing that could possibly bring his mother back. His quest to defeat death entangles him and his best friend Abra in an ancient conflict and forces Sam to grapple with an unwelcome question: could it be possible that death is a gift? 

Haunting and hypnotic, The Day the Angels Fell explores the difficult questions of life in a voice that is fresh, friendly, and unafraid. With this powerful story, Shawn Smucker has carved out a spot for himself in the tradition of authors Madeleine L'Engle and Lois Lowry.



Biography

I think everyone’s looking for a place in the world – not a physical location as much as an emotional one. Just a tiny bit of space to set up shop, to exist.

Life hinted at where that space would be for me when I was a small boy and books picked me up and carried me away. If you came looking for me in the mid-80s you would have found me sitting on a large porch attached to a ramshackle farmhouse, reading about Narnia or the Shire, brushing away the flies, constantly saying, “Okay, mom, just one more chapter.”

But then, normal life got in the way. I wandered. Geographically, I went to a hot city in Florida, an old village in England, and then back to Virginia. Emotionally, I traveled even further. Finally, after ten years of searching, I found stories again. Or maybe they found me.

Now I live in that place I was always trying to find. I wake up beside my beautiful wife, Maile. I make breakfast for my six children. I spend the rest of the day capturing stories.

Thanks for visiting my tiny bit of space. I’d love to hear about yours.


My Perspective ~

Highly recommended by friends, I had to read this book. I'm so glad I did! Classified as a young adult book, I must say that every adult should read it. It broaches our deepest fears surrounding death, and how we approach that topic. The author integrates symbolism into the story in a beautiful and earthy manner. The beginning of time and the battle of good vs evil are strong points throughout this enchanting tale of seeking answers to the age old questions about life and death. 

The Tree of Life is at the center of this amazing story of a young boy and his friend, and their quest for truth and what is right. The battles between good and evil become their fight for life. A fantastic journey in the eyes of a boy and his elderly self, this book kept me riveted to the story until the very end. I can hardly wait for the release of the second book in the series! This is a debut novel that surpassed all my expectations!



1 comment:

  1. I love this review! It inspired me to look up the author and read his blog, which led me to a story about his daughter and a painting which greatly encouraged me in my own art. Thank you, Nancee! Have a blessed Sabbath!

    ReplyDelete