Thursday, August 1, 2013

Katie's Journey To Love by Jerry S. Eicher

5.0 out of 5 stars
 A Family's Transitions




Book Description


In book two of Amish fiction author Jerry S. Eicher’s new Emma Raber’s Daughter series, Katie Raber’s journey of discovery continues after her mamm’s marriage to Jesse Mast. Drawn back from the Mennonite world briefly by the miracle of Mamm’s changed heart, Katie finds she can’t totally abandon her new Mennonite friends.
Jesse’s oldest daughter, Mabel, refuses to accept Katie, creating conflict at home. Ben Stoll, the most popular boy in the community, also begins to attend the Mennonite youth gatherings in his attempt to run away from personal problems.
Overjoyed at the attention Ben pays her, Katie pursues the relationship willingly. When an opportunity comes to travel with her Mennonite friends to Europe to explore the roots of the faith, Katie can’t believe how much she is being blessed. Especially after a secret donor pays for the trip.

While in Europe, Katie learns the truth about Ben when he is arrested. As her world comes crashing down, she finds healing in her visit to the Alps and the land where her forefathers suffered so much. She returns home determined to mend the bad feelings with Jesse’s daughter, Mabel, and to continue on the path to healing without Ben.
Book two in the Emma Raber’s Daughter series.

Purchase A Copy: http://www.deepershopping.com/item/eicher-jerry-s/katies-journey-to-love-emma-rabers-daughter-series/4884534.html  $8.05 paperback





Biography

Jerry Eicher’s bestselling Amish fiction (more than 210,000 in combined sales) includes The Adams County Trilogy, the Hannah’s Heart books, and the Little Valley Series. After a traditional Amish childhood, Jerry taught for two terms in Amish and Mennonite schools in Ohio and Illinois. Since then he’s been involved in church renewal, preaching, and teaching Bible studies. Jerry lives with his wife, Tina, and their four children in Virginia.




My Review ~

Emma and Katie's new life as a part of Jesse Mast's household is presenting numerous challenges. Of Jesse's 5 children all but 16-year-old Mabel are adjusting to their new Mamm and stepsister. Katie and Emma are the recipients of frequent vicious verbal attacks by Mabel in spite of Jesse's discipline. Katie has a crush on Ben Stoll, and has visions of a future with him, but her Mamm and Jesse have warned her that he is not gut for her. Katie is attending the Mennonite youth gatherings with her girlfriends, and Ben Stoll suddenly appears and shows an interest in Katie. She is smitten and eager to be his girl. Three of Katie's friends plan to take a trip to Europe to visit the origins of their Anabaptist ancestors. They beg Katie to go with them, but Katie has no money to pay her way. An anonymous donor leaves a significant amount of money with one of Katie's coworkers, indicating that the money is for Katie's trip to Europe. Assuming that is Da Hah's blessing to her Katie prepares for the trip of her lifetime.

Jerry Eicher writes with such depth into the history and modern-day life of the Anabaptists that he transports the reader to a whole new realm. The characters are portrayed with realistic human emotions and actions, and he captures the essence of the Amish lifestyle. True to life characters are portrayed with candor, and their actions and dreams are illustrated in detail. Depictions of the locations and history throughout Europe and the backdrop of the sufferings of the Anabaptists are authentic and impressive. The love and respect for God runs true throughout this story of trials and adventure. This book is so well written and poignant, I had a hard time putting it down. I'm looking forward to the next in the series with bated breath! 

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for my honest review. All opinions expressed are my own and no monetary compensation was received for this review. Thank you, Jerry Eicher!

10 comments:

  1. Great review Nancee! This book is added to my must read books!! I haven't read a lot of his books but love what I have read.

    Cathy Weber
    Cdweber20@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancee, you have done it again. What a fantastic review of a fantastic book by a fantastic author!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancee, I've read this book and You have done a great review.

    Carolyn Jefferson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review Nancee! I have loved ALL of Jerry's books.

    Blessings!
    Judy B

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review. I haven't read any of Jerry's books yet. But I do have one on my Kindle that I need to read. I have only heard very good things about this Author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for stopping by! I appreciate the support!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe I haven't read this on my list now.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review. I haven't read this but now it is on my hit list. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for your wonderful review of this book, Nancee. I have read several of Jerry's books but sure look forward to this one!
    Mary Lou K flowersmarylou85@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all for stopping by my blog, and for your wonderful comments!

    ReplyDelete