Wednesday, October 23, 2013

A Marriage Carol 
by Chris Fabry
& Gary Chapman
Review & GIVEAWAY:
Wynn-Wynn Media has offered to give away a copy of A Marriage Carol and a $15.00 gift card to Starbucks! Thank you, Jeane Wynn!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unforgettable!

Description

On Christmas Eve twenty years earlier, Marlee and Jacob were married in a snowstorm.   This Christmas Eve, they are ready to quit, divorce is imminent. Their relationship is as icy as the road they're traveling and as blocked with troubles as the piling snow. They take a shortcut to get to the lawyer's office, on a slippery, no-fault path. She thinks they need to stay on the main road. He disagrees. They fight. Story of their lives and they slam into a bank of snow, spinning, drifting, falling, out of control. Just like their lives. Reluctantly, freezing cold, hungry, scared, she trudges up the hill. Jacob is nowhere to be found. Her ears frozen, fingers and hands red, she comes to a house on the hillside, built like a Bed and Breakfast, a green wreath on the red door and the door-knocker is in the shape of a wedding ring.

The red door opens and the first thing she notices is the fire in the room, blazing hot, a warm, inviting, friendly place and the voice of an old man welcomes her in. There are three golden pots on the hearth, shining, glimmering things. The old man claims that they are used to restore marriages. She laughs-and begins a journey through her past, present, and future that will test how she views her lifelong love. There are two futures available. Which will she choose?

This book can be purchased at the following locations:


Biography

CHRIS FABRY is a graduate of W. Page Pitt School of Journalism at Marshall University and Moody bible Institutes's Advanced Studies Program. Chris can be heard daily on Love Worth Finding, featuring the teaching of the late Dr. Adrian Rogers. He received the 2008 "Talk Personality of the Year" Award from the National Religious Broadcasters. He has published more than 60 books since 1995, many of them fiction for younger readers. Chris collaborated with Jerry B. Jenkins and Dr. Tim LaHaye on the children's series Left Behind: The Kids. His two novels for adults, Dogwood and June Bug, are published by Tyndale House Publishers. Chris is married to his wife Andrea and they have five daughters and four sons.

Biography

Married more than 45 years to Karolyn, Dr. Gary Chapman is just the man to turn to for help on improving or healing our most important relationships. His own life experiences, plus over forty years of pastoring and marriage counseling, led him to publish his first book in the Love Language series, The Five Love Languages: How to Express Heartfelt Commitment to Your Mate. Millions of readers credit this continual #1 New York Times bestseller with saving their marriages by showing them simple and practical ways to communicate their love to their partner.
Since the success of his first book, Dr. Chapman has expanded his Five Love Languages series to specifically reach out to teens, singles, men, and children.
He is the author of numerous other books published by Moody Publishers/Northfield Publishing, including Anger, The Family You've Always Wanted, The Marriage You've Always Wanted, Desperate Marriages, God Speaks Your Love Language, Parenting Your Adult Child, and Hope for the Separated. He co-authored The Five Languages of Apology with Dr. Jennifer Thomas.
Chapman speaks to thousands of couples nationwide through his weekend marriage conferences. He hosts a nationally syndicated radio program, Love Language Minute, and a Saturday morning program, Building Relationships with Dr. Gary Chapman, that air on more than 400 stations. Dr. Chapman also serves as senior associate pastor at Calvary Baptist Church in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.
Dr. Chapman holds BA and MA degrees in anthropology from Wheaton College and Wake Forest University, respectively, MRE and PhD degrees from Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, and has completed postgraduate work at the University of North Carolina and Duke University.
Dr. Chapman and his wife have two adult children and two grandchildren, and currently live in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.

My Review ~
It's Christmas Eve, and Jacob and Marlee Ebenezer have an appointment with a divorce lawyer to dissolve their 20-year marriage. Years of detachment and indifference in their marriage have led to a tragic end. As heavy snow drifts down the car skids along the highway toward their afternoon appointment in the city. Heavy traffic and treacherous driving conditions prompt Jacob to take the shortcut on County Line Road. Marlee recalls that same drive in similar weather conditions after their Christmas Eve wedding so many years ago. She fears they won't make it over the mountain through the heavily swirling snow. Nearing a curve the last things Marlee remembers are two headlights and the sound of an air horn. When she awakens the car is embedded in a snowbank and Jacob nowhere to be found. With no chance to survive the storm sitting in the car alone, Marlee seeks help at a nearby home where she is welcomed by an older gentleman who claims to have restored numerous marriages. He seats her by the fire and goes in search of Jacob. As Marlee's concerns for her three children and her missing husband mount the older gentleman returns alone and takes Marlee on a journey through the past, bringing about haunting memories. The present fills with concerns, and fears of the future nearly break her. How will divorce affect their children? Are they making a mistake? Where is Jacob?   

This unforgettable story of a love that has grown stagnant through the years touches a tender place in the heart of the reader. Through the busyness of careers and raising children a husband and wife drift apart to a point where there appears to be no common ground. Our choices affect every detail in our lives. The authors have created a situation that is all too common in marriages, complacency and rancor. In this modern-day Dickensonian tale lessons in compassion and unconditional love warm the heart and invite us to examine our own lives and relationships. The descriptive elements in this story are vivid and memorable. Secrets in the snow play a magical role in this stirring novella. I began reading this book late one evening, and as I headed for bed I sensed a blizzard raging outside the house. I had to look out the window to confirm that it was a typical balmy October night! I awoke during the night to the sound of what I perceived to be a snow plow! Chris Fabry and Gary Chapman did a brilliant job of creating this realistic Christmas Eve!
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from River North Fiction from Moody Publishers in exchange for my honest review. All opinions are my own, and no monetary compensation was received for this review.

CONTEST GIVEAWAY GUIDELINES:
Please comment about my review, leaving me feedback regarding your thoughts. Leave your email address using [at] and [dot] and please share this contest with your friends. Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I appreciate all of your comments! I am not responsible for postal loss or damage of books won in this contest. 

Optional: For additional chances to win this giveaway, share this contest through either Twitter or Facebook, and sign up to follow my blog. Please let me know what you did for extra chances to win. Deadline for this giveaway

41 comments:

  1. Great review! Chris is one of my favorite authors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness, I love Christmas stories with snow! It sounds like a wonderful book! These are two amazing authors! Thanks, Nancee, for chance to win it! Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancee great review. You know Nancee, I like to read about marriages being saved, by God working in their lives, taking a mess of a marriage and putting it back together piece by piece. I know I will need tissues through this one. Unfortunately some marriages aren't fixable if a spouse doesn't want to make a go of it through whatever it takes. I'm speaking of my personal experience when my ex-husband of 25 years walked away for another life with another woman. Praise God, he heals the wounded heart!

    Blessings!
    Judy B
    judyjohn2004(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a wonderful book. So many these days are just focused on the beginning of a relationship which we all know is exciting, but it get's old. Your review left me with lots of questions about the storyline. Of course I could make some up or read the book, I think I will read the book. I will be honest in that I don't read a lot of male authors, but this one looks good. Thanks for sharing. Also for the opportunity to win.
    Blessings
    Katrina
    eppersonkatrina@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds really good, I read quite a bit by Gary Chapman as he writes for a magazine that I read.
    Crossing my fingers :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. After reading your review I want the book now! Looking forward to reading this soon.
    grammador at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I signed up for your newsletter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a great book. I love books about Christmas, and this sounds like a great twist on A Christmas Carol. I signed up on your e-mail list and shared on twitter and facebook.
    susanmsj at msn dot com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your descriptive review, Nancee! You always do such an amazing job. This sounds like a wonderful book and is going on my must-read list. Thank you so much for sharing.

    I am a blog follower and have shared on Facebook.
    texaggs2000 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds delightful! I love Dickens' story and look forward to reading this modern adaptation :) And i especially love how deepely into the story it took you, to the point of 'hsensing' a blizzard!!! That is so cool...pun intended ;)
    blog follower & shared on FB
    homesteading[at]charter[dot]net

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Nancee. Great review. Great storyline too. So many people marry now days with the thought that if it doesn't work out they can just get a divorce. And, divorce is so easy to get. Also, they expect that same excitement to last always. They need to realize that there will be problems through the years to work out. No two people always think the same about everything. Plus, they don't follow GOD's word to turn your eyes away from temptation. These are both great authors so it should for sure be a good book. Thanks for giving us a chance to win it. I am a follower of yours. And, I tried to share it on my Facebook page . I tried the share at the top and the bottom and both brought up the wrong book. Please help me. I need this extra entry. Maxie mac262(at)me(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maxie, I give you an A for effort. I'll just add an extra entry for your efforts to share! Thank you!

      Delete
  12. This sounds like a great novel. I really like your review . I look forward to reading it.Marriage can last till death do us part only , if we keep from taking each other for granted & act asd if we have forever ,when we don't know what the next moment holds. I se e younfg people who have gotten married this year ,only 6 months ago getting a divorce. I don't love him/her no more.Well, there is more to love than everything going your way. It's astick to it , when things go wrong deal. lisawilson2011AThotmailDOTcom

    ReplyDelete
  13. "Secrets in the snow..." I am intrigued! Thank you for this review, Nancee. I would like to win this book! Kathleen ~ Lane Hill House

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. forgot my e-mail address lanehillhouse[at]centurylink[dot]net

      I am a Google Friend Connect friend, Nancee. I see my little window up there with the little brown hearts hanging down. Kathleen ~ Lane Hill House

      Delete
    2. I tweeted about this review https://twitter.com/LaneHillHouse/status/393145307019501568 Kathleen ~ Lane Hill House

      Nancy, I tried to promote on Facebook but when I did, the wrong book cover came up so I didn't post it. Book cover: Forget Me Not by Amber Stokes is coming up when clicking on FB below your review here.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for trying to share, Kathleen. I may have to remove the Forget Me Not image. It seems to be interfering with sharing. I'll give you an A for effort too! Extra entry.

      Delete
  14. Nancee, I have read several books by Dr. Gary Chapman and have always enjoyed his insights. I am not yet familiar with Chris Farby's work. This book seems like it would be a good read. I love a book that you can't put down! The story line is really different and I would love to see how it all comes together.
    I already get your blog by e mail. Really enjoy your views. Thank you
    mcnuttjem0(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love Christmas novels!
    Stimmer@familylife.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon, your name was drawn in this contest! You are the winner of a copy of "A Marriage Carol" and the $15.00 Starbucks gift certificate! Congratulations & enjoy!

      Delete
  16. I have removed the image from my blog that was causing people difficult in sharing this contest. You shouldn't have any difficulty now. Thank you all for your wonderful feedback. I appreciate the time you take to tell me your feelings!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A Marriage Carol is next on my list...sounds really good...thanks for sharing
    Yooperman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yooperman, but you've already borrowed it and read it! Did I see your review anywhere???

      Delete
  18. There is much that can be learned from reading a good fiction story. I look forward to reading A Marriage Carol by Chris Fabry and Gary Chapman. I have enjoyed other writings by them. As always, Nance, thanks for the introduction to this book and the opportunity for a giveaway. ajhawkeauthorataoldotcom

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great Review! I definitely want to read the book now. Thank you. Becky
    boernerb (at) fuse (dot) net

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nancee, your review makes me want to read this book !!! pj.rodgers@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. After reading all this, now i sure want to win the giveaway thanks for a chanve. Shirley B jcisforme@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice review; this book sounds great! I am also sharing this on Facebook and Twitter. krispride[at]me[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shared the contest on FB and Twitter.

      I just want to add that I love Dr. Chapman's Five Love Languages. It has helped me with my own relationship issues in the past. I am looking forward to reading (hopefully winning!) A Marriage Carol. :)

      Delete
  23. I really enjoyed the review, normally books where couples are struggling don't appeal to me, but this book really looks like one I would read. Lourdes11743[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Chris Fabry is THE MAN!! I can't wait to read this, of course your review helped too :) I'm sure you miss me, maybe one night I'l show back up to bookfun just to liven things up.

    librarybooks at religious dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rick, you really need to do that. We miss you, buddy! And, yes, Chris Fabry is THE MAN! My husband read one of his books, contacted him, and ended up receiving a couple more for reviews!

      Delete
  25. Ok, extra entry for me since I tweeted it.

    librarybooks at religious dot com

    ReplyDelete
  26. And another entry for sharing it on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  27. An another one for me being the only male fan of yours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now just a minute! Scroll up and you'll see that Yooperman made a comment! HA!

      Delete
  28. And one last entry just because I'm awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you're awesome, but I'm not sure I'll give you the extra entry just for that!

      Delete
  29. I wasn't sure if I wanted to read this book until I read your review. I shared the giveaway on Facebook and Twitter. I am also following your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Jan, I'm sorry, but the contest ended yesterday. Watch for additional giveaways, and thank you for following my blog and commenting. I appreciate all of my followers!

    ReplyDelete