Monday, January 6, 2014

Annie's Christmas Wish
by Barbara Cameron

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Story Year Round!

Book Description

Will New York City lure Annie away from her home...and the possibility of love?

Ever since her step-mom brought her a snow globe of the New York City skyline, Annie has wanted to visit the beautiful, big city. Since it’s nearing the time of Annie’s rumschpringe—the time when Amish youth experience English life to make a decision whether to live in that world or become baptized into the Amish faith—the family decides a visit is a good idea. They watch the Macy’s Christmas parade, admire the decorated store windows, skate at the Rockefeller Center rink and— Annie’s favorite—get a glimpse of a writer’s life while visiting the New York Times building. But others aren’t as thrilled with Annie’s lure to the Big Apple. Aaron has long been attracted to Annie and is sure he’s in love. As he watches her engage in big city life, he grows concerned that she won’t want to return to their quieter life. Will Annie follow Aaron back home? Or stay and pursue her dreams? Competing for her attention, Aaron sets out to show Annie that Christmas isn’t about the glitz and glamour, but about family, love, and the birth of Jesus.

Purchase this book here:
http://www.amazon.com  $9.79
http://www.barnesandnoble.com  $9.98
http://www.christianbook.com  $9.49
http://www.deepershopping.com  $9.74

Biography

CBD, CBA, and ECPA bestselling author of 35 books (including new series upcoming for Abingdon Press in 2011/2012) including fiction and non-fiction books for Abingdon Press, Thomas Nelson, Harlequin, and other publishers.
I sold three films to HBO/Cinemax and am the first winner of the Romance Writers of America Golden Heart Award.
My two novellas won the 2nd and 3rd place in the Inspirational Readers Choice Contest from the Faith, Love, and Hope chapter of RWA. Both were finalists for the novella category of the Carol Award of the American Christian Writers Award (ACFW).

Contact the author:
http://www.barbaracameron.com/
barcameron39@yahoo.com
https://www.facebook.com/barbara.cameron1?fref=ts

My Review ~

Annie Bontrager's formerly Englisch stepmother was a well-known writer from New York City. On a return trip after becoming Amish and marrying Annie's father, she brought Annie a snow globe of the New York City skyline. Since her mother was chosen to receive an award for her writing the family planned a trip to New York City as a family vacation. Annie's brother was unable to join them, so Annie's long-time friend, Aaron was invited to take his place. Annie had been writing since could put pencil to paper, and this trip meant the world to her. She was finally going to see firsthand what a writer's world was all about. Throughout the trip Aaron became more attracted to Annie, more than just the friendly relationship they had always shared. As events over the course of the vacation concerned Aaron that Annie might decide to stay in New York City, tensions escalated. A learning experience for the entire family, this vacation was a crossroads for Annie. How would she react if she was offered a job there? Would she follow her dream to become a big city writer, or would her Amish roots beckon her home?

I thoroughly enjoyed Annie's Christmas Wish. I admire Barbara Cameron for taking a different approach in this Amish story. The Amish take vacations to various resorts and landmarks comparable to other families, and the Bontrager'sNew York City adventures were refreshing. Seeing city life through the eyes of the Amish was captivating. The simple way of life yet strong beliefs of the Amish were brought to life numerous times throughout this story of radical differences in culture. The author is well educated in the Amish way of life, and her descriptive talent is commendable. Her characters were very well defined and engaging, and the descriptive qualities of the landmarks of both theBontrager's farm and the bright lights of big city were illustrative and expressive. This book is far from just a Christmas story. I recommend reading it any time of year.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from Abingdon Press and the author in exchange for my honest review. All opinions expressed are my own, and no monetary compensation was received for this review.

CONTEST GIVEAWAY GUIDELINES:
Please leave me a feedback comment and your email address using [at] and [dot] to protect your email address from spammers. Share this review with your friends, and if you win this contest please leave a review at websites such as Deeper Shopping and Amazon once you have read the book. Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I appreciate all of your comments!
Optional: For additional chances to win this giveaway, share this contest through either Twitter or Facebook, and sign up to follow my blog. Please let me know what you did for extra chances to win. Drawing for this giveaway is Friday, 1-10-2014.



49 comments:

  1. Nancee, Thank you for review of Barbara's book Annie's Christmas Wish.
    I read Christmas books all winter as I love them. I also enjoy Amish books and this one looks very good.
    I follow your blog by e mail and greatly enjoy your reviews
    and will e mail some friends about your blog.
    mcnuttjem0(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments, Jackie, and thank you for sharing. Good luck in the drawing!

      Delete
  2. I hope Annie will follow her true heart. I like Christmas stories that are good examples any time of the year too. Thank you for reviewing this copy of Annie's Christmas Wish. Wondering if Aaron's interest is because of seeing her out of their usual environment or nudged from the Lord. Kathleen ~ Lane Hill House lanehillhouse[at]centurylink[dot]net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting and commenting, Kathleen!

      Delete
  3. I love Barbara's stories! She's a fantastic writer. This one sounds like one I would enjoy. Christmas + Amish = A cozy evening :)

    homesteading[at]charter[dot]net
    +blog follower

    Hope you're staying warm!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, this is a book you would love, I'm sure! Good luck in the drawing!

      Delete
  4. great review Nancee (as usual) cndloven(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cindy! Thanks for visiting my blog!

      Delete
  5. Wonderful review Nancee. I like the idea of reading about the Amish on vacation. I've never read a story like that before and I've read lots of Amish fiction.
    Please enter my name in the drawing to win a copy. Thanks!!
    cindialtman(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindi, this was a different approach, and I really liked it! Good luck!

      Delete
  6. Love the review . I would love to win Barbara's book . Thanks for the giveaway .
    lizd225(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been subscribed to your blog. I shared on Facebook and tweeted on Twitter!

    Barbara Thompson
    barbmaci61(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nancee, I love your great review. I've read Barbara's books and she's an excellent author. I love Amish fiction and I'll read a wonderful Christmas book anytime of the year. Thank you for the opportunity to participate in this giveaway.
    Barbara Thompson
    barbmaci61(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, thanks! You're always so encouraging!

      Delete
  9. Thanks for your great review and a chance at winning this book.
    Seraphinangel7(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Juanita! Thank you for visiting my blog and commenting!

      Delete
  10. Nancee, you are so great at these reviews, makes me want to spend my days reading and nothing else! Sonja dot nishimoto at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sonja, that's how I got myself into this situation! I loved all the reviews of the books that were coming out, and offered to review. It's great fun!

      Delete
  11. Hi Sharon! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much for offering Barbara's book. I love to read Amish books, and have read many of her other ones but not this one.

    Tina
    sweeps4us at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for entering my giveaway contest, Tina!

      Delete
  13. I'm going to keep entering these contests until I win a copy of this book!!! The review is great and I have said numerous times that the cover is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting, Loretta. Please leave your email address so that I can contact you in the event that your name is drawn. Thanks!

      Delete
  14. Thank you for sharing your wonderful review, Nancee. I have not read Barbara Cameron, but certainly look forward to doing so!

    texaggs2000 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a wonderful author, Britney! You'd love her books.

      Delete
  15. This looks like an awesome book. I loved hearing your thoughts on it and would love to read it. I am just starting to become familiar with this author. Amish is my favorite genre and Christmas is my favorite genre within that category. I read them all year long. Thank you for this opportunity.
    Karen C.
    sweetnessnlight(at)comcast(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving such nice comments. Barbara Cameron is a great Amish fiction author!

      Delete
  16. Hi Nancee !! great review !!! Barbara Cameron is a great writer, have read several of her books, but not this one... thanks for the heads up !!! I enjoy reading Amish Fiction, and this one seems very interesting, especially being out into the world and having to make a decision.... tough call !!!! thank you !!! I shared on Facebook !!! Rosemary rfoley at salemstate dot edu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a new one, Chicki! You'll love it!

      Delete
  17. Please enter me...I love amish books,Christmas stories and Barbara Cameron books.I would love to win and read this one.Thanks for the chance.jackie_tessnair{at}yahoodotcom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting my blog and entering this contest, Jackie!

      Delete
    2. Jackie! Congratulations! Your name was drawn as the winner of Annie's Christmas Wish!

      Delete
  18. I love Barbara' s books. I would love a copy. I am a blog follower. Rhonda Nash-Hall

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting my blog, Rhonda! Good luck in the drawing!

      Delete
  19. Great review and I also signed up to follow your blog.Thanks...jackie_tessnair{at}yahoo{dot}com

    ReplyDelete
  20. This book looks great, i would really love to win, thanks for a chance.
    Shirley B jcisforme@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really enjoyed reading Barbara's books (Stitches in Time series). I have not read any of the Quilts of Lancaster County series books yet but have them somewhere in my TBR piles. Annie's Christmas Wish is on my wish list.
    Karen G.
    kmgervais(at)nycap(dot)rr(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I follow your blog via email and GFC.
    Karen G.
    kmgervais(at)nycap(dot)rr(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a wonderful review of Annie's Christmas Wish.
    Would so love to win the book by Barbara Cameron.
    CherylB1987 AT Hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cheryl! Good luck in the drawing!

      Delete
  24. Great review. And I do so enjoy getting introduced to new authors. And, I'm also partial to Christmas stories. This new book definitely sounds like a fun read. And, I'd love to share insights with followers of my blog too!

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting my blog and entering this contest!

      Delete
  25. Looks like a must read. momtr3@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete