Saturday, January 4, 2014

The Circle Girls
Once Upon A Witch
by Anya Novikov




Description

God will give you blood to drink.... An ordinary teenager finds out what witch-hunting is all about---in her own everyday world. 

When Deliverance "Delli" Willis, an ordinary, almost-sixteen-year-old, finds herself dreaming wild dreams, she's amazed when some of the stuff appears during her classroom unit on the Salem Witch Trials: When a dream girl of 1692, who shares Deliverance's name, finds herself entranced by a mysterious man in the woods, Delli finds a new neighbor walking through her family avocado grove. Eager to share the handsome newcomer with her circle of friends, she doesn't realize the danger of someone unique entering the closed loop. Fingers point, jealousies surge, lies are cast, sides taken---and people are out for blood. It's a modern-day witch-hunt that collides with 1692 in ways Delli never dreamed. 

It will take lessons from her dreamscape and a stand against bullies to tighten Delli's faith in our omnipresent God.



This book can be purchased here:





Biography

My debut young adult romance is set both contemporary and...in 1692 during the Salem Witch Trials. Goodness, how we do love to point fingers. It was my years teaching American Lit that got me fixated on the Salem witch trials. Visiting Salem itself only sealed the deal. I live on California's Central Coast with my firefighter husband, volunteer at the local horse rescue, and thank God daily for His generous gifts of family and good health. (I also write westerns, both historical and contemporary, both sensual and inspirational, as Tanya Hanson.)




My Review ~

This is the story of a teenage girl who begins having vivid dreams of the Salem witch trials. Coincidentally she is studying that very topic in school. The dreams parallel her life as the names of the people in her dreams are the same or very similar to her own name and the names of the people in her life. As the dreams progress her fear of her own destiny becomes nearly overwhelming. In her dreams is an elusive young man who claims he will protect her from harm, and in her own life a young man who recently moved into her neighborhood gives her some peace of mind regarding her fears. As the story unfolds events in her life become extremely complicated. She no longer trusts her closest friends. Will she find the solace she needs to cope with the dreams and her own dilemmas?

This is a book written for young adults, and is well written with descriptive elements regarding events and the locale, both regarding the dreams and this teen's surroundings. I had a bit of difficulty getting involved in the story, and I felt it was a bit repetitious, but all in all for a young adult story I think it is age appropriate. This is not a genre that I normally read, but it was interesting and kept my attention as the story progressed. Faith and hope abide throughout this book.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the For Readers Only group through The Book Club Network in exchange for my honest review. All opinions expressed are my own, and no monetary compensation was received for this review.

CONTEST GIVEAWAY GUIDELINES:
Please leave me a feedback comment and your email address using [at] and [dot] to protect your email address from spammers. Share this review with your friends, and if you win this contest please leave a review at websites such as Deeper Shopping and Amazon once you have read the book. Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I appreciate all of your comments!
Optional: For additional chances to win this giveaway, share this contest through either Twitter or Facebook, and sign up to follow my blog. Please let me know what you did for extra chances to win. Drawing for this giveaway is Wednesday, 1-8-2013


14 comments:

  1. Wow Nancee, this looks like a good book. I truly think my daughter, who's 17, will love this. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katrina! Yes, a 17-year-old would really enjoy it!

      Delete
    2. Nancee, I forgot to add my email.lol Sorry
      eppersonkatrinaatyahoodotcom
      I am sharing on FB.

      Delete
    3. Katrina, I'm so glad you stopped back to leave your email. I was going to hunt you down!

      Delete
  2. I have been wanting to read this one. Thanks for the review and giveaway
    Campbellamyd at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shared on twitter
    Campbellamyd at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nancee, As always, you did a great job on the review.....I want to read this book. I lived in Salem for over 35 years, I enjoy reading about Salem and witches, fiction and non fiction.. Thanks for the chance to win - it's a great prize !!! I shared on Facebook..
    Rosemary rfoley at salemstate dot edu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rosemary! I appreciate your comments!

      Delete
  5. Hi Nancee, I always enjoy your blog. This sounds good. You do such a great job reviewing books. I definitely want to read this. And I definitely need more hours in the day to get all these great books read! Sonja dot nishimoto at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your sweet comments, Sonja! Good luck in the drawing!

      Delete
  6. I have always been interested in the Salem Witch trials but have never pursued this interest. Now this book is intriguing and fiction as well and Christian. I would so love to win this book. Thanks for the contest ! Sincerely, Mary Lou
    flowersmarylou85(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete