Wednesday, January 8, 2014

The Dawn of Christmas
by Cindy Woodsmall
GIVEAWAY & Free Preview

4.0 out of 5 stars Trust Doesn't Come Easy...




Description

The Amish community of Apple Ridge is a place to discover anew that even though life doesn’t always look the way you might expect and pain can’t help but color our actions…love may just be around the corner, just in time for Christmas!
Sadie Yoder enjoys her freedom away from home but after four years, her Old Order Amish family insists it’s time to come home and settle down. Levi, a bachelor who distrusts women after a family heartbreak, also has no desire for romance. To keep their families from meddling in their lives, Sadie and Levi devise a plan—but soon discover that the walls around their hearts are breaking down. Can they let go of their prejudices, learn to trust each other, and embrace a future together?



Purchase at the following locations:
https://www.familychristian.com  $7.49

Biography
Cindy Woodsmall is a New York Times best-selling author who has written a dozen (and counting!) works of fiction and one of nonfiction. She and her dearest Old Order Amish friend, Miriam Flaud, coauthored the nonfiction, Plain Wisdom: An Invitation into an Amish Home and the Hearts of Two Women. Cindy’s been featured on ABC Nightline and the front page of the Wall Street Journal, and has worked with National Geographic on a documentary concerning Amish life. In June of 2013, the Wall Street Journal listed Cindy as the second most popular author of Amish fiction, following Beverly Lewis.
She is also a veteran homeschool mom who no longer holds that position. As her children progressed in age, her desire to write grew stronger. After working through reservations whether this desire was something she should pursue, she began her writing journey. Her husband was her staunchest supporter as she aimed for what seemed impossible.
She’s won Fiction Book of the Year, Reviewer’s Choice Awards, Inspirational Reader’s Choice Contest, as well as one of Crossings’ Best Books of the Year. She’s been a finalist for the prestigious Christy, Rita, and Carol Awards, Christian Book of the Year, and Christian Retailers Choice Awards.
Her real-life connections with Amish Mennonite and Old Order Amish families enrich her novels with authenticity. Though she didn’t realize it at the time, seeds were sown years ago that began preparing Cindy to write these books. At the age of ten, while living in the dairy country of Maryland, she became best friends with Luann, a Plain Mennonite girl. Luann, like all the females in her family, wore the prayer Kapp and cape dresses. Her parents didn’t allow television or radios, and many other modern conveniences were frowned upon. During the numerous times Luann came to Cindy’s house to spend the night, her rules came with her and the two were careful to obey them—afraid that if they didn’t, the adults would end their friendship. Although the rules were much easier to keep when they spent the night at Luann’s because her family didn’t own any of the forbidden items, both sets of parents were uncomfortable with the relationship and a small infraction of any kind would have been enough reason for the parents to end the relationship. While navigating around the adults’ disapproval and the obstacles in each other’s lifestyle, the two girls bonded in true friendship that lasted into their teen years, until Cindy’s family moved to another region of the US.
As an adult, Cindy became friends with a wonderful Old Order Amish family who opened their home to her. Although the two women, Miriam and Cindy, live seven hundred miles apart geographically, and a century apart by customs, when they come together they never lack for commonality, laughter, and dreams of what only God can accomplish through His children. Over the years Cindy has continued to make wonderful friendships with those inside the Amish and Mennonite communities—from the most conservative ones to the most liberal.
Cindy and her husband reside near the foothills of the North Georgia Mountains in their now empty nest.
Contact Cindy at the following sites:

FREE PREVIEW:
 Read Chapter One

My Review ~
The Dawn of Christmas is relevant to much more than the holiday. Two young adults have been badly hurt, each by a member of the opposite gender, and have lost all hope for a future relationship or imminent marriage. This Amish tale is a story of learning to trust where all hope of trust has been destroyed by another. As the two discover one another a friendship of sorts begins. Upon pressure from her father, Sadie and Levi formulate a plan to "court" to satisfy the demands of Sadie's family. The friendship between them is comfortable over time until each realizes there is more to the relationship than just convenience and friendship alone. With issues from the past staring them in the face the question appears regarding where this relationship should go. Will one betray the other when the going gets rough? You'll have to pick up a copy and see for yourself.

Cindy Woodsmall is well versed author, and writes with integrity and fluency. She knows the Amish way of life well, and weaves an excellent story of the vulnerabilities in life. I would have enjoyed this as a full-length novel rather than a novella. There is so much more to the story, and I felt some predictability due to the brevity of the book. As a whole the characters are very strong and likable, people I'd love to know, and the events throughout the story kept me wanting more. This is an excellent book to read at any time throughout the year. I'm looking forward to more from Cindy Woodsmall!

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from Blogging for Books in exchange for my honest review. All opinions expressed are my own, and no monetary compensation was received for this review.

CONTEST GIVEAWAY GUIDELINES:
Please leave me a feedback comment and your email address using [at] and [dot] to protect your email address from spammers. Share this review with your friends, and if you win this contest please leave a review at websites such as Deeper Shopping and Amazon once you have read the book. Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I appreciate all of your comments!
Optional: For additional chances to win this giveaway, share this contest through either Twitter or Facebook, and sign up to follow my blog. Please let me know what you did for extra chances to win. Drawing for this giveaway is Monday, 1-13-14.

28 comments:

  1. I love reading Cindy Woodsmall books !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love reading Christmas books !!!!!!!!!!! no brainer, I want to read this book. I trust you and your reviews Nancee, so this is one I will read. Thanks for the chance to win it Nancee ......

    Rosemary rfoley at salemstate dot edu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I take it you like Cindy Woodsmall Amish books, Chicki! LOL! I love it! Thanks for entering this contest. Enjoy reading the first chapter by following the link above my review.

      Delete
  2. Great review! I would love to read this! Thanks
    Campbellamyd at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting and entering this contest. Enjoy reading the first chapter by following the link above my review.

      Delete
  3. https://mobile.twitter.com/AmyBooksy/status/421264604682276864
    Campbellamyd at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Cindy's books and The Dawn of Christmas is still on my wish list. I know I don't need another book to add to my pile but I am addicted! (I have determined there is Zero hope for me when it comes to books!)

    I enjoyed your review and hope to read this book sooner or later!

    Blessings!
    Judy B
    judyjohn2004(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy is a wonderful author. Good luck, Judy!

      Delete
  5. This is how many relationships begin so the plot is very believable. And the cover is so pretty.
    Would love to have this book to read and keep.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love cindys books so i sure would love to win, thanks
    Shirley B jcisforme@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,I would like to say ,I would love the chance to win Cindy's book The Dawn Of Christmas and I love her books and have read several.As much as I would like to win,I have won books efore and I also would like for someone,who has never won ,to win.If not me then ,them.I love Christmas tories best of all ,but I don't want to be self

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, thank you for visiting my blog, and for entering this contest!

      Delete
  8. Nancee, I love your review and it's a great review. I love Amish fiction! I've read Cindy Woodsmall's books and she's a wonderful author. Would love to win this book. Thank you for the opportunity to enter this giveaway.
    Barbara Thompson
    barbmaci61(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Barbara! You're always so supportive! Good luck in the contest!

      Delete
  9. I already follow your blog. I shared on Facebook and Twitter.

    Barbara Thompson
    barbmaci61(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara! Congratulations! Your name was drawn as winner of The Dawn of Christmas! Thank you for entering this contest! I hope you enjoy the book!

      Delete
  10. Nancee, Cindy is among my favorite authors would enjoy her book. Thank you for interesting review.
    I follow your blog will share on facebook.
    thank you
    mcnuttjem0(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cindy is an excellent author so I am sure this is wonderful! sonja dot nishimoto at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she is, Sonja! Thanks for visiting my blog!

      Delete
  12. I follow your blog. I, too, enjoy Christmas books! Great review! Would love to win this book!
    susanlulu(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting my blog, Susan! I appreciate your following!

      Delete
  13. Sharon, you'd really enjoy Cindy's books. She's an excellent author!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love learning about new authors and their new books. This book definitely sounds like a fun read and I look forward to reading many books from this author. And, of course, I'm always looking for new reads for the holiday season. :)

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and entering my contest!

      Delete
  15. I follow the blog, facebook and twitter, would love to read this book. Nancee almost came over earlier today but here I am , opps its already tomorrow ! lol Thanks for having Cindy over to visit , I do so love learning about our author friends.
    Blessings
    Linda Finn
    faithfulacresbooks@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! I'm happy to see that you got in on this contest!

      Delete