"My Mother's Chamomile"
by Susie Finkbeiner
Description
Desperate for the rains of mercy
Middle Main, Michigan has one stop light, one bakery, one hair salon...and one funeral home. The Eliot Family has assisted the grieving people in their town for over fifty years. After all those years of comforting others, they are the ones in need of mercy.
Olga, the matriarch who fixes everything, is unable to cure what ails her precious daughter. She is forced to face her worse fears. How can she possibly trust God with Gretchen's life? A third generation mortician, Evelyn is tired of the isolation that comes with the territory of her unconventional occupation. Just when it seems she's met a man who understands her, she must deal with her mother's heart-breaking news. Always able to calm others and say just the right thing, she is now overwhelmed with helplessness as she watches her mother slip away.
They are tasting only the drought of tragedy...where is the deluge of comfort God promises?
Middle Main, Michigan has one stop light, one bakery, one hair salon...and one funeral home. The Eliot Family has assisted the grieving people in their town for over fifty years. After all those years of comforting others, they are the ones in need of mercy.
Olga, the matriarch who fixes everything, is unable to cure what ails her precious daughter. She is forced to face her worse fears. How can she possibly trust God with Gretchen's life? A third generation mortician, Evelyn is tired of the isolation that comes with the territory of her unconventional occupation. Just when it seems she's met a man who understands her, she must deal with her mother's heart-breaking news. Always able to calm others and say just the right thing, she is now overwhelmed with helplessness as she watches her mother slip away.
They are tasting only the drought of tragedy...where is the deluge of comfort God promises?
Available now on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Baker Book House in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Biography
Susie Finkbeiner is a novelist from West Michigan. Her first novel "Paint Chips" released in 2013 and her second novel "My Mother's Chamomile" in 2014. She worked with WhiteFire Publishing on both novels.
Susie's third novel "A Cup of Dust" will release Fall, 2015 with Kregel Publications.
Susie is a wife, mother of three, and avid reader. She enjoys time with her family, coffee dates with her good friends, and quiet moments to read and write.
Susie Finkbeiner is represented by Ann Byle from Credo Communications.
Susie's third novel "A Cup of Dust" will release Fall, 2015 with Kregel Publications.
Susie is a wife, mother of three, and avid reader. She enjoys time with her family, coffee dates with her good friends, and quiet moments to read and write.
Susie Finkbeiner is represented by Ann Byle from Credo Communications.
My Thoughts ~
"My Mother's Chamomile" is the depiction of a family of morticians in Middle Main, Michigan. For 50 years the Eliots have assisted families through the most difficult stage of life..... death. Years of dealing with death and grief places them in a state of loneliness in the community. People are uncomfortable with thoughts of their own mortality. The Eliots exhibit a strong faith in God, and a powerful compassion for others. Their competence, sensitivity and quiet strength bring comfort to the families they serve.
"My Mother's Chamomile" is the depiction of a family of morticians in Middle Main, Michigan. For 50 years the Eliots have assisted families through the most difficult stage of life..... death. Years of dealing with death and grief places them in a state of loneliness in the community. People are uncomfortable with thoughts of their own mortality. The Eliots exhibit a strong faith in God, and a powerful compassion for others. Their competence, sensitivity and quiet strength bring comfort to the families they serve.
Susie Finkbeiner has exhibited a depth of wisdom and sensitivity beyond her years in this remarkably written narrative of life and death, and the emotions that accompany the final phase of life. Her choice of words is poetic and evokes powerful emotions and poignancy. The book is written with tenderness and reverence, and qualities that project the intimacy of the death experience.
Much research went into the composition of this book. The author visited with funeral directors in order to gain the insight and integrity necessary to write so that the reader can absorb the process of life to finality, and the grief that follows. The progression of life through the Eliots is remarkably personal and tender. The members of this remarkable family are created with depth of perception for humanity. individualism and believability.
I read this book slowly in order to absorb the tenderness and compassion contained within, allowing myself to soak in the spirit of life, death and the aftermath of grief. I highly recommend this masterfully written novel. It is filled with spirituality, benevolence and empathy. I was so impressed with this book that I immediately read it again. Please pick up a copy of this book and allow yourself an opportunity to be swept into a world of love, the beauty of family, as well as the frailty of life.
Quote - "Out of the corner of my eye, a lanky chamomile flower danced in the wind. It grew up wild among the other flowers. Tall, green, spindly legs under heads of yellow and white."
Disclaimer: I purchased this book with no expectations for a review of any kind. All opinions stated are my own, and no compensation was received for this review.
CONTEST GUIDELINES: Please leave a comment and your email address using [at] and [dot] to protect your email address. Giveaways are limited to residents of the continental US only, please. I am not responsible for loss or damage through the postal service. Winners have one week to claim their prizes. Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I appreciate all of your comments!
Optional: For additional chances to win this giveaway, share this contest through either Twitter or Facebook, and sign up to follow my blog. Please let me know what you did for extra chances to win. Deadline for this giveaway is Thursday, March 12, 2015.


Great review Nancee !!! You have never steered me wrong with your reviews ... this is a need to read !!! You talk about the tenderness and compassion Susie writes with, and that is exactly the kind of book I would enjoy reading !! Going through that phase of life is inevitable, and having to watch a loved one is awful .. Seeing it from a different perspective will be sending the emotions on a roller coaster ride with a great ending.. I look forward to reading this book. Susie Finkbeiner is new to me, but I do look forward to knowing her books !!! thank you for the chance to win a great prize. I shared my email with my friends Nancee. I will be sharing on FB also.. thank you Rosemary rfoley at salemstate dot edu
ReplyDeleteRosemary, this book is like no other book I've read. You will love it!
DeleteThank you so much, Rosemary! You seem like a tender soul. I do appreciate your kind words.
ReplyDeleteAw! I want to read your book, Susie Girl! <3
ReplyDeleteThanks, Charity!
DeleteCharity, you'll love it!
DeleteI followed and shared on FB and Twitter (: PICK ME!!!
ReplyDeleteI am such a ding dong. LoveMeMyJesus [at] gmail [dot] com
ReplyDeleteOMGosh. This just proves it. ha ha ha. I entered under two different aliases. Charity Andrews = aTransParentMom
ReplyDeleteMaybe I'll win for having so many comments...
Charity, you crack me up.
DeleteI may have to give you an extra entry for that!
DeleteHi Nancee.Thanks for this review. I love books that set in small towns, I have mostly lived in small towns. This one seems different but I would love to win it and check it out. I am a follower of yours Nancee and I shared this on my FB page. Thanks and GOD bless. I am in that grief place right now. Just lost my youngest brother, 73, who had cancer and didn't get to go to be with him due to health problems and such a long trip to NY. He's been in so much pain for a good long time and was wanting to go. And, I know He needed to go his Heavenly home, but it still hurts so bad right now. Now there is only two of us left out of 8 siblings. My older brother will be 90 in 3 months. And he's been to the ER and doctor lately with his COPD. I have to hold onto GOD for comfort to get through this. Maxie > mac262(at)me(dot)com <
ReplyDeleteOh, I am so sorry for your loss. What a heartbreak. Grief is such a difficult season of life that often overflows into other times. I'm glad for your faith in God and that your brother was able to go to his reward. Still, the sting is real. Praying for comfort and mercy.
DeleteMaxie, I'm so sorry to see that you recently lost your brother. Like Susie said, having faith in God will bring you comfort and peace. This book is so poignant, I know you would feel like a part of the book as I did. Praying for you, dear friend!
DeleteWould love to win this book! It's a warm sunny day in Missouri!! jarning67(at)hotmail(dot)com
ReplyDeleteI hope you enjoyed that sunshine, Joan! I was busy cleaning out a bathroom closet and missed it!
DeleteHi, Joan! It's sunny here in Michigan today. So nice!
DeleteIf this book touched you this much, Nancee, I am certain that I will love it too. What an awesome review and great sounding novel. I love emotionally charged stories.
ReplyDeletePlease throw my name in the hat to win a copy.
Thanks!!
Cindi Altman
cindialtman(at)gmail(dot)com
Hi, Cindi! Thank you. And I truly appreciate readers who love emotionally charged stories. It seems to be the only kind of story I can write.
DeleteCindi, this is a must read! Everyone should read this book. It will give you a whole new insight into life and death.
ReplyDeleteThank you for an awesome chance. I have room on my bookshelf
ReplyDeleteMT, in case you check back, please leave your email address so that I can contact you in the event that your name is drawn in the giveaway.
ReplyDeleteThis looks good and her new one coming out does too! Thanks for this chance! katie07edgar(at)gmail(dot)com
ReplyDeleteThank you, Katie. And I'm so excited about A Cup of Dust releasing. I can't wait for readers to meet the Spence family. :)
DeleteIt's one of the best, Katie! I'm also looking forward to "A Cup of Dust!"
DeleteCONGRATULATIONS, Katie! You are the winning entry! I hope that you enjoy "My Mother's Chamomile" as much as I did! Thank you for entering this contest!
DeleteI've been thinking, on and off, since I first heard of this book that I'd like to read it. It sounds like a very insightful book and one that I'd like to read. Nancee, you have written an excellent review. Susie, I look forward to reading your book, even if it is later rather than at present. I will share this on my Book Giveaway board on Pinterest.
ReplyDeletemay_dayzee[at]yahoo[dot]com
Thank you, Kay! I truly appreciate it.
DeleteKay, thank you for the compliment. This is a book that you need to read. Susie has wisdom way beyond her years!
DeleteWhat a wonderful review Nancee, Death is such an emotional issue especially when it involves someone in our family. Someone that has nurtured us that we then nurture them in their time of need. I'll bet you'd be surprised to learn I was interested in being a mortician myself as a career choice. Things changed though when my family started coming along. I would really love to read this emotional, touching book. Deanne Cnnamongirl(at)aol(dot)com
ReplyDeleteDeanne, I admire anyone who would even consider a life as a funeral director. It's a tough life. I can't imagine doing the work.
DeleteDeanne, bless your heart! You show a compassion that many of us lack regarding the care of the deceased. Thank you for your wonderful comments. You would absolutely love this book!
DeleteYour review was excellent and I would love to read this book !
ReplyDeletethank you, i follow your blog
mcnuttjem0{at}gmail{dot}com
Jackie, isn't Nancee a great reviewer. So encouraging.
DeleteThank you, Jackie, and you, Susie, are going to make my head big! I just tell it like I see it!
DeleteVery interesting perspective. ONe many shy away from but necessary
ReplyDeletemandn@wisper(dash)wireless(dot)com
Would love to read your book! I too recently lost my beloved Mother and oldest Sister, so I certainly what you are going through. Losing a loved one is the pits. My heart goes out to you.
ReplyDeleteLooks like a a GREAT book to read.
ReplyDeleteami2late65 at Yahoo dot com
tweeted via @_eHope
ReplyDeletehttps://twitter.com/_eHope/status/576081645398204416
pinned
https://www.pinterest.com/faithopecherryt/bookd-giveaway-swap-sell/
Although a new author to me, on Nancees glowing recommendation, it sounds very interesting.
ReplyDeleteSurely would love to read it.
I have room on my bookshelf waiting. Thank you
ReplyDeleteI've been wanting to read this since meeting Susie at a writer's conference last fall. Bracing myself for an emotional ride...
ReplyDeleteAmy, isn't Susie one of the sweetest people ever? Maybe I'll meet you tomorrow evening at the Jot Conference!
DeleteYes! Sorry I didn't get to meet you at Jot...my husband and I were at a ministry conference this weekend on the other end of 28th St. Already looking forward to Jot in the fall! :-)
DeleteYes! Sorry I didn't get to meet you at Jot...my husband and I were at a ministry conference this weekend on the other end of 28th St. Already looking forward to Jot in the fall! :-)
DeleteAmy, as it turned out I wasn't able to attend Jot either. I had a migraine and wasn't up to getting out. Hopefully next time!
DeleteThank you all for visiting my blog and leaving your wonderful comments. I trully appreciate it. Thank you also to Susie for offering a copy of her book in this blog contest. Would the winner please follow up with a brief review of "My Mother's Chamomile?"
ReplyDelete