Monday, March 9, 2015

Welcome, Debbie Lynne Costello,
Author of 
"Sword of Forgiveness"
(CONTEST!)




Welcome to my blog, Debbie! I'm excited to introduce you to my readers and friends, and I'm looking forward to sharing about your writing. Thank you so much for taking the time to join me!

*****************


Thanks so much for having me on your blog, Nancee! I’m excited to be here and share with your readers about my new release and looking forward to chatting with them. 

Sword of Forgiveness is a medieval romance (inspirational of course!) set in 1398. I thought I’d share some of what medieval life was like during that time period. 

First to dispel a couple myths. By the 11th century William the Conqueror had put a stop to private warfare by neighboring barons. In other words, an English baron could not lay siege to another’s castle just because he wanted it or its riches. 

Another myth is with betrothals. They were a legal and binding contract and not as easy to break as our modern day engagement. One could not just say, “I’ve changed my mind.” 

Now on to medieval life. 

Medieval life in the castles started early. At the break of dawn to be precise. The household was roused from their pallets in the attic and cellars. Servants had fires to light in the kitchen and great hall. Knights and men-at-arms were headed to the walls and towers to relieve the night shift of their duty. 

The lord and lady dressed for the day. The lady putting on makeup. Yes, it’s true. The ladies wore cosmetics—sheep fat, and rouge and skin whiteners. After readying themselves they had mass in the chapel and then the household broke their fast with bread that was washed down with wine or ale. 

Routine tasks were next on the list. The lord would make his round of meetings with his members of council, bailiffs, and stewards. Depending on if they had guests or not, the lady 
would visit with her guests or would embroider or do other domestic jobs. Knights and squires practiced in the fields fencing and mock war. Children did their lessons under the guidance of a tutor and when they finished their schoolwork they were allowed to play. 


Some of the things the children played with were dolls for the girls and boys played with tops, balls, horseshoes, bows and arrows. (Do you all notice there seems to be a lot more variety for the boys?!) 

Grooms swept out the stables and fed the horses while the smith busied himself making horseshoes, nails, and wagon fittings. The domestic servants had chamber pots and basins to empty. The laundress soaked the tablecloths, towels, and sheets with wood ash and caustic soda, before pounding them, rinsing them, then hanging them to dry. The cook and his staff were hard at work turning the spits of meat, preparing soups, custards, breads and other food for the day’s meals. 

Dinner was usually between 10 a.m. and noon. During the meals there was entertainment such as musicians, jugglers, and jesters. After the dinner meal they returned either to their tasks or to some amusement. Supper was a lighter meal and was served in late afternoon. There were also late suppers just before bedtime but they were frowned on by some as giving rise to gluttony and waste. 

The household retired early. The chamberland prepared his lord for bed. Below is an excerpt from manuals for household management in how to prepare a lord for bed taken from 
Life in a Medieval Castle by Gies. 

Take off his robe and bring him a mantle to keep him from cold, then bring him to the fire and take off his shoes and his hose… then comb his head, then spread down his bed, lay the head sheet and the pillows, and when your sovereign is in bed, draw the curtains… Then drive out dog or cat, and see that there be basin and urinal set near your sovereign, then take your leave mannerly that your sovereign may take his rest merrily. 


I hope you enjoyed learning a little bit about the medieval life. 

*Tell me something that really surprised you about medieval life or something that you found interesting or ask me a question about my book to be entered to win your choice of an ebook or paperback. 


*******************

Thank you for this enlightening information, Debbie! I wasn't familiar with midieval practices, so this has been very informative for me. Thank you also for offering a copy of your book to those who comment regarding either midieval life or your recent release, "Sword of Forgiveness."



CONTEST GUIDELINES: Please leave a comment and your email address using [at] and [dot] to protect your email address. Giveaways are limited to residents of the continental US only, please. I am not responsible for loss or damage through the postal service. Winners have one week to claim their prizes. Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I appreciate all of your comments!

Optional: For additional chances to win this giveaway, share this contest through either Twitter or Facebook, and sign up to follow my blog. Please let me know what you did for extra chances to win. Deadline for this giveaway is Monday, March 16, 2015.


60 comments:

  1. To qualify for this contest, please answer Debbie's request highlighted above! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How old were you when you wrote your first book? Not published : )

    Sierrafaith327(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! Probably about 10 years old. I'm glad you didn't ask how long ago I wrote my first unpublished book! It was about a platypus and I was also the illustrator. LOL

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the info on Medieval life. I would not have enjoyed it, especially if I was a chamberland/chambermaid. Yitsha! I love reading about it though! I love looking at the beautiful castles too! Thanks! chris_davebures@bellsouth.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I'm with you, Chris! Fun to romanticize it but unless you were the wealthy, life was pretty rough!

      Delete
  4. Not knowing much about the Medieval era, I really enjoyed your post - Debbie, thank you!! I was a little surprised to hear of the mass each morning, and breakfast being bread washed down by wine and ale. Re: the lack of toys for girls, guess there was inequality between the sexes in the 1300's also, LOL!!

    I've ordered "Sword of Forgiveness" in paperback, so it isn't necessary to enter me in the contest. Again - congrats!!

    Shared post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, thanks so much for your wonderful comments. Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
    2. Hey Bonnie. Thank you for buying SOF! YES! inequality between the sexes was much worse back then. Women were chattel or property. I can't even imagine. But there were some who honored and appreciated women. But woe to the woman who wasn't!

      Delete
  5. What was your most exciting moment of your writing career?
    Can I also wish you a terrific, wonderful, God-blessed writing career?
    Chris G
    granvilleATfrontiernetDOTnet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Chris! Great question. You would think that when I got my first contract with Guideposts books for the Christmas collection but I'd have to say that getting the call from my agent Tamela Hancock Murray trumped even that. This has been a pretty exciting time for me too, though. Being on the top 10 hot new releases for 11 days has been exciting!

      Delete
    2. I think you have good reason to be excited, Debbie!

      Delete
  6. I love the strength shown in the cover of this book. Thank you for sharing!

    mauback55 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melanie. I love it, too. When I saw it the first time I knew it was right. The look Brithwin is giving Royce is perfect!

      Delete
    2. The cover is very inviting!

      Delete
  7. I find the medieval time fascinating and wonder how life must have been back then. I think I am truly spoiled by all that I have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was telling someone else that I love the medieval time period but if I was going to live there I'd need to be nobility because I don't think I could survive if I wasn't! I'm to soft!!

      Delete
    2. I know that I would not have the strength to live in those conditions, even with the help!

      Delete
  8. I found it interesting and funny to read that the servant had to "drive the dog and cat" from the bedroom. What an interesting post! I am looking forward to reading your book. Thanks for the giveaway! momrain(AT)aol(DOT)com I subscribed to Nancee's blog and I shared this on my twitter feed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOl! That was funny. I could just see the servants trying to chase out the cat and dog.

      Delete
    2. I can't imagine chasing my cats from the bedroom! They keep our feet warm! Thank you for subscribing to my blog, Loraine!

      Delete
    3. LOL, Nancee! My dogs surround my bed. My hubby had to work through the night one night which he never has to do so my German Shepherd climbed in bed with me when he saw hubby's empty spot. lol

      Delete
  9. Did you do any traveling for your research Debbie. I didn't really know much about this era. Wouldn't have wanted to live in that time tho. Doesn't seem anyone has any relaxing time. But does seem the children had pretty normal lives. Thanks Nancee for having debbie. Love the colorful cover Debbie. Maxie > mac262(at)me(dot)com <

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Maxie! Not really. However, my hubby took me to Italy for our 25th wedding anniversary and we spent 3 days staying at a castle which I did get to use in my research. Life was much harder physically but sometimes I think all our technology has made our lives mores stressful. Thanks for coming by, Maxie. Hope you get a chance to read my book!!!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for visiting and commenting, Maxie! Debbie, I think it would be very exciting to stay in a castle!

      Delete
    3. Oh my goodness, Nancee, it was so awesome. Talk about living your dream!

      Delete
  10. Thanks for sharing about Midieveal times. I think one big difference I notice is that everything is centered around the castles. Not a lot of traveling involved as I'm sure that they grew their own food and raised or hunted for their own meat. Not an easy life for sure!

    pattymh2000(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The castle is the focal point for them and the villeins. They had a lot of responsibilities that is for sure. I'd like to visit medieval times but not live there!

      Delete
    2. I think I'd rather read about this time frame!

      Delete
  11. I find it interesting that the ladies wore make up and what they used! What an exhausting day for the servants. Nancycooks4u[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you regarding those long days for the servants. I can't even imagine their duties.

      Delete
    2. I imagine the servants were ready for bed by evening. The good thing for them was that candles were expensive. So when it got dark, people went to bed.

      Delete
  12. The makeup was a shock to me! But I don't know why because we know the Egyptians wore makeup. I just didn't picture medieval ladies doing it. Thank you for coming by, Nancy. and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, some actually did bathe. The castles and manor houses if using rushes for the floors could get to smelling. I won't go into detail what is said to have been in them but safe to say they could get to be quite obnoxious! Good luck in the drawing!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's funny that Kate should ask this question. I have often wondered how people could stand each other with lack of cleansing agents. Castile soap has, however, been in existence for a very, very long time, however.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Debbie Lynne, this post was a really interesting snapshot of life in medieval times. How long did you spend researching prior to your writing and what were your sources? Thank you and congratulations!
    may_dayzee(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kay! I loved medieval many years before I started writing them. A lot of my research comes from Gies. They are phenomenal research books. I have 5 or 6 of them. Dover has some good books that are actually coloring books but they are pretty accurate. So glad you enjoyed the post! Good luck!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Kay! I also enjoyed hearing about your research sources, Debbie!

      Delete
  16. Thank you for sharing! I love all of the information about medieval times. I'm thinking that boys had a lot more fun with their toys than the girls had with just their dolls.

    Lori P
    jlipayer (at) charter (dot) net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I bet you're right, Lori! Thanks for coming by and good luck!

      Delete
  17. I love reading about medieval times. I was surprised to find out the ladies wore makeup. Pigs fat doesn't sound to good. Hopefully the mixed it with something to make it smell good. Hahaha I learned a lot. Thanks

    pam1lunsford ( at) gmail ( dot ) com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! There are things to be thankful for! Can't imagine smearing that on my face! Yikes!!! Thanks for coming by and good luck!

      Delete
    2. I tend to shy away from pig fat also. I wonder if it is a moisturizer that midieval women found beneficial for their skin?

      Delete
    3. It does seem very plausible, Nancee. Do you remember the old MaryKay pink night cream. It was like slathering crisco on your face. My mom used it as did my grandmother. Makes me think of that stuff. LOL. I'm sure MaryKay would love to hear that! heehee

      Delete
    4. LOL! I don't think I ever used it!

      Delete
    5. CONGRATULATIONS, Pamela! You were selected to win a copy of Debbie Lynne Costello's new book, "Sword of Forgiveness!" You may choose either an ebook or a print copy. I will be contacting your for information regarding where to send your book. Thank you for entering this contest and adding to the conversation!

      Delete
  18. I was surprised that they considered late night eating gluttony. I thought there was always lots of food and frolic for those who were lucky enough to live in castles during that time. I guess I was also a bit surprised that they had tutors for the children, although I"m not sure why I didn't think about that. Susan.stitch(at)sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I assumed that since those who lived in castles in midieval times were wealthy that gluttony was just a part of their life style.

      Delete
    2. Hey Susan, They didn't have schools for children back then so if a child was to learn the parent or a tutor had to teach them. Lord's and ladies actually had a lot of responsibilities, not that they couldn't have fit it into their schedule, because they did have down time, but I think that it was just one of the things they did, kind of like most people send our kids to a school.

      Delete
    3. I think many tend to think of the nobility as just a bunch of lazy fops- but I think the Medieval nobility had far more active lives then we think- and a lot more responsibilities. There are a couple of books that talk about the way women had to sometimes run the household- that was a lot of work! Someone once compared Medieval noblewomen to the CEOs of a company today and I think they may have been correct.

      I think there were some schools of a sort I heard. They were usually based around religious institutions or run by clerics I think- though Alfred the Great started his own 'Court School' for the children of the nobility (and some Vikings...)

      Delete
    4. In all my research I don't believe I ever read about the schools. I'd love some links or books that talks about the schools. Would be fun to hear about them since the research books I've read I don't recall them being mentioned.

      Delete
    5. My problem (probably similar to yours) is that I've read a lot of stuff over the years, and picked up things from it but I can't remember the exact source. One place I did read about schools was in a short book called 'Medieval Women' by Eileen Power, and there's a mention of the 'court school' in a number of books on Alfred the Great.
      I don't know if they were schools in the sense we would know them, they may have been more like an area in a monastery or convent, where a cleric taught children at certain times of year or days.

      Delete
    6. According to a quick search there seems to be a lot of stuff online- some not so great. There's even a book on the subject but things like that are usually ridiculously expensive. It seems most schools were based in churches- but there were allegedly 'hundreds' by the time of the Renaissance....

      Delete
  19. Can't enter the giveaway but I will leave a comment anyway. The Gies book was good, but was really focused on the twelfth and thirteenth centuries. It seems that by the close of the 1300s many Castles were evolving- many had private apartments and acoommdation. There is a Mid 14th century castle in a village called Bodiam in Sussex that had something like two dozen or more seperate guest bedrooms, most with a fireplace and garderobe.

    Probably one of the most enduring myths about marriage in the Middle Ages was that forced marriage was somehow the norm. It was not- the church banned it in the late 1100s and there is a law code from the time of King Canute frim the previous century banning it. Also, men could not just go around raping, abusing and mistreating women of noble birth without punishment as seems to happen a lot in Medeval Romances....and forget Prima Nocti...there's no evidence for it all all that I know..

    ReplyDelete