Friday, September 6, 2013

Shades of Mercy, A Maine Chronicle by Anita Lustrea and Caryn Rivadeneira, Review & Giveaway!

5.0 out of 5 stars A poignant story


Description


It's 1954 and the world-even the far Northwoods of Maine-is about to change. But that change can't happen soon enough for fourteen-year-old Mercy Millar. Long tired of being the "son" her father never had, Mercy's ready for the world to embrace her as the young woman she is-as well as embrace the forbidden love she feels.
 When childhood playmates grow up and fall in love, the whole community celebrates. But in the case of Mercy and Mick, there would be no celebration. Instead their relationship must stay hidden. Good girls do not date young men from the Maliseet tribe. At least, not in Watsonville, Maine. When racial tensions escalate and Mick is thrown in jail under suspicion of murder, Mercy nearly loses all hope-in love, in her father, and in God himself.


This book is available at your local bookstore and the following locations:
http://www.amazon.com Paperback $10.88




Biography: Anita Lustrea

Anita Lustrea is executive producer and host of Moody Radio's award winning Midday Connection. Garnering NRB's 2008 Program of the Year Award, Midday Connection deals with issues most radio programs won't. The program offers avenues for spiritual transformation in the midst of difficult personal issues. Anita is also an author, a much sought-after conference and retreat speaker and a spiritual director. She lives in the Chicago suburbs with her husband, Mike and has a college aged son John.
Anita is a self identified hot tea snob and can't face the day before her Irish Breakfast Tea is steeped for 5 minutes with honey and milk added. She hails from Maine and makes an annual pilgrimage to Aroostook County.


Biography: Caryn Rivadeneira
Hello! I am a writer, speaker, and serve on the worship staff at Elmhurst Christian Reformed Church. I'm one of those kinds of writers who's been writing since the magic age of 7 and have written all sorts of stuff. But the stuff you can find here at Amazon is: Shades of Mercy: A Novel (RiverNorth, 2013), Known and Loved: 52 Devotions from the Psalms (Revell, 2013), Grumble Hallelujah: Learning to Love Life When It Lets You Down (Tyndale House, 2011), Mama's Got a Fake I.D.: How to Reveal the Real You Behind All that Mom (Waterbrook, 2009). The stuff you can read elsewhere includes my writing as a regular contributor to Christianity Today's Her.Meneutics and a columnist for Re:Frame Media's Think Christian. I also write regularly for places like Relevant and FullFill, along with several other media outlets.
I live outside of Chicago with my husband, three kids and one pit bull. Visit me at www.carynrivadeneira.com, on my Facebook author page (caryn.rivadeneira.author) and on Twitter @CarynRivadeneir!


My Review ~


It is 1954 in a rural farm community in Northern Maine. Mercy's family owns a large potato farm where Mercy does the work of a teen aged boy. Her father, "Mr. Pop" teases her that she is the son he never had. He hires local Maliseet Indians to help work the farm. Mick is a Maliseet who has been a friend to Mercy since they were toddlers playing in the fields and building forts. As teenagers their friendship grows into an attraction that is forbidden. Racial tensions were heating up in the southern states while discord between Indian tribes and those who had overtaken their land were troubling other areas of the country, Maine being no exception. The Maniseet had been forced out of their homes to live in shacks on top of the area dump, and the situation is becoming volatile in Mercy's community. 

Shades of Mercy is a story of troubled times and strained relationships. The discrimination presented in this story is realistic and historically accurate. Hard and honest work ethics are reminiscent of farm families of that time frame. Characters presented are authentic, colorful and convincing, as are the issues detailed in this account. Mercy's father represents a pillar of strength and compassion to his family and community through difficult times and distressing events. His strength of character and unwavering faith in God are exemplary and strong currents that are woven throughout this story. The elements of hope, grace, mercy and compassion run strong throughout the events characterized in this book.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from Wynn-Wynn Media in exchange for my honest review. All opinions expressed are my own, and no monetary compensation was received for this review.


CONTEST GIVEAWAY GUIDELINES:
Please comment about my review, leaving me feedback regarding your thoughts, rather than just stating that you want to win this book. Leave your email address using [at] and [dot] to protect your email address, and please share my blog review with your friends in order to qualify for this contest. Thank you for visiting my blog!

9 comments:

  1. Nancee, I have to read this book after reading your review! Thanks for all you do for the authors and readers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Entering you in the contest. I know where to find you in case your name is drawn!

      Delete
  2. Great review Nancee! Going on my wish list!

    Blessings!
    Judy B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy, your name was drawn! Congratulations! I'll get the book sent out to you this week.

      Delete
  3. Nancee, I felt you gave me the whole view of the book that I could make the decision whether I wanted to read this book. It's my pleasure to share your review. This book sounds great. Thank you, Nancee!
    Barbara Thompson
    barbmaci61(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancee, you are so good with your reviews. Makes you want to read the whole story. I hated the way the Indian people were treated. It sure wasn;t fair. These two were such good friends that it was really bad for them. I really want this book. I hope I can win. I also shared this review on my facebook to encourage my family and friends to look at your reviews.. Thanks for the chance to win this book.
    MAXIE mac262(at)me(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful review, Nancee. I want to know more about Mercy and Mick and look forward to reading their story! I have shared this wonderful review and giveaway on FB. Thank you for the opportunity to win a copy of SHADES OF MERCY!

    Britney Adams
    texaggs2000 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a must read. Would love to win.

    ReplyDelete
  7. after reading hear , you really make a person want to read this book thanks, hope i win
    Shirley B jcisforme@aol.com

    ReplyDelete