Sunday, September 15, 2013

Winter in Full Bloom by Anita Higman, Review & Giveaway!

(Wynn-Wynn Media has offered 5 copies to be given away through this contest. Many thanks for their generosity!)






Description

Lily Winter's wings are folded so tightly around her daughter that when empty nest arrives, she feels she can no longer fly. But Lily's lonely, widowed life changes in a heartbeat when she goes to visit a woman who is almost a stranger to her-a woman who also happens to be her mother. During their fiery reunion, her mother reveals a dark family secret that she'd been hiding for decades-Lily has an identical twin sister who was put up for adoption when they were just babies.
 Without looking back, Lily-with her fear of flying-boards a jumbo jet and embarks on a quest to find her sister which leads half way around the world to Melbourne, Australia. Befriended by imprudent Aussie, he might prove to be the key to finding her sister. But her journey becomes a circle that leads her back home to attempt a family reunion and to find the one dream she no longer imagined possible-the chance to fall in love again. 













Biography

Award-winning author, Anita Higman, has twenty-five books published (several coauthored) for adults and children, and she has been honored as a Barnes & Noble Author of the Month for Houston. Anita has a BA degree, combining communication, psychology, and art. Her favorite things include exotic teas, movies, and all things Jane Austen. To contact Anita or enter her monthly contest for a free signed book please visit her website at www.anitahigman.com. 


My Review ~

Lily Winter embarks on a journey to the other side of the world in search of the sister she has never known. An embittered woman, Lily's mother has kept this secret for decades. Lily's only daughter has left for college and her husband is deceased, so Lily takes this time in her life to connect the missing pieces in her past. Panic envelops Lily as her fear of flying overwhelms her, but the flight to Australia is her only hope in finding her twin sister, Camille. Seeking solace in the botanical gardens in Melbourne Lily is introduced to Marcus Averill as he joins her on a park bench and strikes up a conversation. Not interested in making small talk Lily attempts to ignore the stranger, but his amusing and upbeat character wins her over. An American currently living in Melbourne, Marcus knows his way around and offers to assist in Lily's quest to find her twin. Marcus eventually discloses equally painful family circumstances of his own as they spend time together searching for Camille.

Winter in Full Bloom is an unforgettable story of deception, betrayal, abuse, family dysfunction and unforgiving characters who dominate the lives of the main characters in this book. Anita Higman has done a magnificent job of illustrating reality in the heartache of her characters, while developing a plot that is both unpredictable and jolting. A book in the Christian Fiction genre, the author effortlessly weaves the essence and communication with God into the lives of her characters without forcing it on the reader. Non-Christian readers will enjoy this book, and possibly take away a bit of inspiration from their journey through the lives of these characters. Overall, I found Winter in Full Bloom to be a superb example of Christian literary fiction, and highly recommend it. I will undoubtedly read this book again. 

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from Wynn-Wynn Media in exchange for my honest review. All opinions expressed are my own, and no monetary compensation was received for my review.

CONTEST GIVEAWAY GUIDELINES:
Please comment about my review, leaving me feedback regarding your thoughts. Leave your email address using [at] and [dot] to protect your email address, and please share my blog review with your friends in order to qualify for this contest. Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I appreciate all of your comments!

26 comments:

  1. I LOVED LOVED LOVED this book! Wonderful review Nancee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancee, appreciated your review as you set the ambiance of Anita Higman's book, WINTER IN FULL BLOOM. It entices me to want to discover just how Anita wove her story to come back full circle. Appreciation to Wynn-Wynn Media for the opportunity at a giveaway.
    A J Hawke
    ajhawkeauthor at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A J, thank you for your kind words. I think you'd really enjoy this book!

      Delete
    2. Congratulations, A J! You are a winner!

      Delete
  3. Great review Nancee. I having a full shoulder replacement, and could use some good reading while recuperating. Thank you. Barbara Gauthier Bgauthier49@live.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Barbara! Praying for your upcoming shoulder surgery.

      Delete
  4. Nancee, I love your beautiful review and look forward to reading this book! I have shared your review and giveaway information on FB.

    texaggs2000 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Britney, thank you for your comments and for sharing!

      Delete
    2. Congratulations, Britney! You are a winner!

      Delete
  5. Excellent review, Nancee!!! When I see someone say they will read this book again especially a reviewer, I know I need to read this book. Thank you for the opportunity to participate in this giveaway.
    Barbara Thompson
    barbmaci61(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, thank you. I don't often say that I would read a book a second time, but this one is worthy of a second read!

      Delete
  6. WOW !!!! great review !!!! that is a truly powerful set of issues, empty nest being a big one after being widowed.....that's tough.... then to find out she has a twin sister.. venturing out alone, scarey.. I truly want to read this book !!! thanks for the great review !! Rosemary Foley rfoley (at) salemstate (dot) edu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rosemary! You'll love this book!

      Delete
    2. Rosemary, congratulations! You are a winner!

      Delete
  7. Shared with a friend....This book seems to pack a full punch! Lots of action abounds! Sounds like a delightful read!
    susanlulu(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Susan! This book is written so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review, Nancee. I enjoyed this book as well. Your lucky winners are getting a real treat. Ü

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice review, Nancee! I got to see Anita at ACFW conference and she looked great. I met her two years ago. And the Wynns are so nice. Don't enter me, I just wanted to pop by! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wonderfull review, and love your books , hope to win this one
    Shirley B jcisforme@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the review Nancee! Makes me want to read Winter In Full Bloom!
    Would so love to win this to read!
    CherylB1987@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete