Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Hopeful
Return to Sugar Creek, #1
by Shelley Shepard Gray
Review & GIVEAWAY!

4.0 out of 5 stars Hope Persists!




Description

In the Amish town of Sugarcreek, love comes in many forms. But will it come at all for Miriam?
Miriam Zehr has worked at the Sugarcreek Inn longer than she cares to admit. The restaurant is a favorite of town residents as well as the many tourists who come to taste the famous Amish fare. Though she always tries to have a smile for every customer, deep down Miriam knows something’s missing: a family of her own.
Miriam has never felt particularly beautiful, especially because she’s always been a bit heavier than other girls her age. When Junior, the man she’s pined for all her life, suddenly seeks her out, she’s thrilled to be noticed . . . until she realizes he’s only asking her to help get the attention of Mary Kathryn Hershberger, her pretty friend.
If Miriam helps Junior court Mary Kathryn, she’ll get to spend a lot of time with him, but she might lose him in the process. Are these few stolen moments worth a lifetime of sacrifice? Is Miriam right to even hope for the life she dreams of?



Purchase a copy and learn more at Shelley’s website, http://www.amazon.com /, http://www.barnesandnoble.com/, http://www.christianbook.com/, http://www.deepershopping.com/


Biography
Shelley Shepard Gray is a two-time New York Times bestseller, a two-time USA Today bestseller, a finalist for the American Christian Fiction Writers prestigious Carol Award, and a two-time Holt Medallion winner. She lives in Southern Ohio, where she writes full-time, bakes too much, and can often be found walking her dachshunds on her town’s bike trail.
Contact the author at: http://www.shelleyshepardgray.com/, 
https://www.facebook.com/ShelleyShepardGray


My Review ~


The characterizations throughout Hopeful represent many personality types, covering a broad spectrum. Miriam is a comforter, saddened by the fact that she is still single, but finds comfort in helping others. Junior is mature beyond his years, having been the father/mother figure for his numerous siblings since both parents died. Mary Kate is a newcomer to the community of Sugarcreek, and harbors secrets from a past tainted relationship. Her past admirer is overbearing and devious. As these characters intermingle throughout this story disappointment and anguish create depression and unhappiness, but hope is what inspires them to continue moving forward. 

The author has revealed a complex set of relationships throughout this book, and has created a realistic depiction of disappointment, heartbreak, compassion and an underlying hope that life will somehow become more satisfying and joyous. Family is an important element throughout, evidenced by a young couple who recently discovered they cannot have children of their own, as well as others seeking companionship and a life shared with someone they can love and honor. The Amish way of life is woven throughout this book, creating a community of people who share the same beliefs and expectations that we've come to respect through these examples. I enjoyed the interactions between the diverse characters in this story, and look forward to the sequels in this series.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from LitFuse Publicity Group in exchange for my honest review. All opinions expressed are my own, and no monetary compensation was received for this review.

CONTEST GIVEAWAY GUIDELINES:
Please comment about my review and leave your email address using [at] and [dot] to protect your email address from spammers, and please share this contest with your friends. Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I appreciate all of your comments!

ADDITIONAL OPTIONS TO INCREASE YOUR CHANCE OF WINNING:
For additional chances to win this giveaway, share this contest through either Twitter or Facebook, and sign up to follow my blog. Please let me know what you did for extra chances to win. Deadline for this giveaway is Saturday, 2-22-14.
.


42 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review and giveaway Nancee! Miriam sounds a bit like me, thinking life may be passing me by because I'm not married, but God's timing is the best and I am glad I waited.

    I signed up to follow your blog via e-mail.

    pattymh2000(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an interestingbook Your review made me want to read it
    God bless you
    ChrisG
    granvilleATfrontiernetDOTnet

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a really good book, and I have enjoyed the other ones written by Shelley Shepard Gray. Looking forward to reading this book too. I have also shared this post with my Facebook friends. camden5559 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a wonderful read and I would love to win a copy. I have signed up for your blog also.

    Ann Ellison
    abilene_nanaatyahoodotcom

    ReplyDelete
  5. shared this giveaway Am a follower
    ChrisG

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would really love to win this book. Your review makes me want to read it even more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot to leave e mail address;
      seraphinangel7(at)aol(dot)com

      Delete
  7. I had to throw my hat in the ring for this one! I met Shelley in person last September and oh my what a sweet beautiful woman she is. I would love to chat with her again.

    I loved your review. I have experienced disappointment, heartbreak, compassion and great hope. I'd love to read how these were handled in this book, Hopeful.

    Blessings!
    Judy B

    P.S. I shared about this contest on FB and I am a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review Nancee.
    I'd love to read Shelly's book Hopeful.
    Carolyn Jefferson
    carolynj67@att.net

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful review. This book looks great. When I read Peace by this author I was very impressed with her writing style. Looking forward to reading this book.
    Blessings
    eppersonkatrina(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the opportunity to win this book. I appreciate your great review, and look forward to putting this book on my need to read list.

      Delete
    2. Katrina, congratulations! Your name was drawn as the winner of a copy of Hopeful! Thank you for participating in this contest!

      Delete
  10. I shared this contest through twitter. https://twitter.com/tina9157/status/435844523998994433

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the review and giveaway Nancee! I The book sounds lovely.
    I shared info about this giveaway via Facebook and I signed up to follow your blog via e-mail.

    janka(dot)halcinova(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This book sounds very interesting to me, based on your review. I always enjoy character driven stories best, and it sounds like this has a great collection of characters!
    Jmsfarmgirl (at) hotmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Nancee. Enjoyed your review. Always do. They make me want to read the book. This one seems to have a lot of characters to keep up with. Wouldn't want to lay it down for wondering what will happen next. Shelley writes a great story. I would love to visit that community. And, of course meet Shelley. I am one of your followers and I used the tab at the top and it didn't show the right picture, so wrote about this one at the top in my comment there. Thanks for a chance to win. Maxie mac262(at)me(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great review, Nancee! I visit Sugarcreek a few times each year and love it! The shops and items are such high quality, and I love the atmosphere. I would love to win a copy of this book, especially since I'm familiar with the area! Thanks for the giveaway!
    litteraegaudium (at) aol (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nancee, Looking forward to reading Hopeful. Shelly is one of my favorite authors. Thank you for your review it was nicely done. I follow you by e mail
    mcnuttjem0(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nancee, your reviews are always the bomb! I have loved Shelley's books from the first one she ever wrote! I would feel it such a blessing to win one and I am feeling very "HOPEFUL" I will! :)

    dianalflowers(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  17. O how I would love to win and read this book .Blessings DanaGirl jashbk[at]earthlink[dot]net

    ReplyDelete
  18. Another great review, Nancee. You really should consider becoming a writer. Ü
    Thanks for the chance to have my name thrown in the hat to win a copy of Shelley's book.
    cindialtman(at)gmail(dot)com
    I'm a subscriber

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great Review!I am looking forward to reading this book.Thanks for sharing.jackie_tessnair{at}yahoo{dot}com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am "Hopeful" that I win this book! Sonja dot Nishimoto @ gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW! Look what has happened after I've had one very busy day! Thanks to all of you for responding so quickly to my review and contest. You are all so appreciated! I think that whichever one of you wins a copy of Hopeful will be very, very happy! Good luck on Saturday evening!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I enjoyed this book as well but did find that i read some of the plot i had read some of the plots such as Miriam going to the home to help with reading also about the ex boyfriend coming around i had read this in another book can't remember which one or if it was in one of this author's but i knew i what was coming that does not stop me from wanting to reading future books in the series
    Hugs Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, Janice! It has to be extremely difficult for authors to have completely different plots in their stories. I have seen similarities in books written by different authors occasionally but still enjoy a different author's take on a similar plot.

      Delete
  23. I love books about the Amish way of life and think the world would be a much better place if we all had the same values of these folks. Their love of God and family is so pure and true. I enjoy the interviews with the authors, especially of ones that I am not familiar with, and from the review of this book, it must go on my to read list! thanks for the opportunity to enter the contest and may God continue His blessings on you Shelley and Nancee. ratsmith140(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your wonderful comments, and for visiting my blog. It's wonderful meeting new people through reviewing and offering contests. Good luck in the drawing!

      Delete
  24. Thank you for sharing your wonderful review, Nancee! HOPEFUL sounds like a great story!

    I am a blog follower and shared on FB.
    texaggs2000 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks, Britney! The drawing for this contest will be tomorrow evening. Good luck to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Were we supposed to tell that we are followers and shared on our FB page? B/C I am and I did! lol Sorry for leaving out that info above if needed to qualify. Thanks, Nancee!

    dianalflowers(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love Shelley's books and I am sure this one will be a delight to read! hope to win! Thanks, Nancee!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Looks like the start of another great series! You always have such intricate reviews while managing to never reveal any spoilers :) Count me in! GFC follower & shared on FB
    homesteading[at]charter[dot]net

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thus seems like a good book to read. Great job on your review.
    Nancycooks4u(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hopeful that I'll win this book! I have read many of hers and love them! Great post!
    susan(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hope I'm not too late for the giveaway. Just remembered! Nice review. Love reading Shelley Shepard Gray books. Thank you for the chance to win a copy of her book.
    Karen G.
    kmgervais(at)nycap(dot)rr(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wonderful review! I love reading anything Amish fiction! I have read a lot of Shelley's books and I can't wait to read her new book Hopeful!

    ReplyDelete
  33. so sorry forgot my email. tsheroke(at)sbcglobal(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Teresa! I'm sorry, but the contest for Hopeful ended on 2-22-14. Please visit my blog in the future for more contests. I post my contests on Facebook, and if you sign up for my newsletters you'll receive notice for future contests. Thank you for visiting my blog and for your lovely comments!

      Delete